News: USAToday: Dak Prescott's camp makes counter to Cowboys' initial contract offer

NewsBot

Reaction score
Wednesday saw most Cowboys players participating the second OTA practice of the offseason, but the big news was about dollars and cents rather than Xs and Os. As reported by the team’s official website, the club has made an initial contract offer to Dak Prescott, and Prescott’s camps has returned with a counterproposal.

Does that mean the QB entering his fourth year is on the cusp of the monster deal that many assume is coming? No one knows for sure, not even Prescott.

“I can’t really say on that, it’s one from each side,” Prescott told reporters after practice. “This is my first time doing this. Ask me in a few years and I’ll be able to tell you, ‘We’ve sent this one, they’ve sent that one, we’re about to get it done.’ But right now, I’m learning the process to it and just letting my team handle their business.”​

While the confirmation of a counteroffer from Prescott’s agent is news (and evidence that things are at least progressing between the two sides), it clearly may still be a while before all the details are hammered into place in a final contract.

Dak Prescott said his agents have made a counterproposal to the Cowboys on a long-term deal but he would not get into any specifics. The two sides have been in talks for a little while but nothing is especially close to an agreement. Last week Prescott said he was in no rush…

— Todd Archer (@toddarcher) May 22, 2019

Dallas fans may continue to wait breathlessly for word of a pact, but Prescott seems to be keeping his typically cool head about the ongoing number-crunching, and where his next contract will place the Cowboys’ QB among the league’s other top-paid passers.

“When you look at numbers, I think a lot of it is about the market,” Prescott said. “So I don’t really pay attention to any of that. I come in, and I just prove myself each and every day to the guys in this locker room.”​

Continue reading...