News: USAToday: Jerry Jones: 'I've earned the right, with Zeke, to joke. Period.'

NewsBot

Reaction score
Tuesday was a day for celebration and jubilee in Cowboys Nation. Star linebacker Jaylon Smith signed a 5 year, $64 contract extension that will make him a Dallas Cowboy for the foreseeable future. Jerry Jones, overcome with emotion to begin the order, had to also answer questions on a different subject, his recent quip about holdout running back Ezekiel Elliott.

Specifically, the response from Elliott’s camp to Jones’ earlier “Zeke who?” comment following the Cowboys win over the Rams on Saturday night. Jones appears unpleased with the question, and answered poignantly,

“Look, I’ve earned the right with Zeke, to joke. Period. I’ve earn that.” Answering a follow up question, “…any follow up conversations since then?” Jones replied, “No, no. But let me be real clear about it, I’ve earn that right, to joke.”​

Jerry Jones responds to backlash from Ezekiel Elliott's agent, who called his 'Zeke who?' joke 'disrespectful'.

"I've earned the right, with Zeke, to joke. Period." pic.twitter.com/Q8MD13vbqJ

— Mike Leslie (@MikeLeslieWFAA) August 20, 2019

The implication here is clear; Jones is referring to his continued support of Elliott through thick and thin during the running back’s career. In addition to paying Elliott’s legal fees in his 2016 standoff against the NFL, Jones has voiced support of Elliott at every turn through the myriad of tribulations that have arisen over the last three years, and appears to feel close enough to Elliott to be able to throw a barb without having to explain himself.

While Elliott’s camp announced that Jones’ comment rubbed the him the wrong way, that too may have just been more contract posturing through the media.

Jones is known to have strong relationships with Cowboys players, sometimes perhaps too friendly for an employee-employer relationship. Jones’ love of the team and the people within the organization has sometimes lead him to make emotional decisions. Elliott may be one example where the emotion and time he’s invested in the individual has come around to haunt him. Jones likely believes that the unwavering support he’s provided Elliott should be reciprocated in contract negotiations.

Elliott and his team may not have the same fuzzy feeling, and might not want to hear Jones’ jokes anymore.

Elliott is seeking to maximize his earning potential, and Jones appears ready to dig in, leaving his interview with one final thought.

And Jerry Jones wasn’t done digging in. Left us with this too.
“The team takes precedent at a point over the opinion or the demand of the individual.” Goes on and says “The team takes precedent. And I've got the backbone to keep it that way."

— Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL) August 20, 2019

You can follow Burke at @BurkeDowner.

Gallery

100 Best Pics from Cowboys-Rams preseason tilt in beautiful Hawaii

view 100 images

Continue reading...