News: USAToday: News & Notes: Cowboys doing free agency wrong? Will it cost NFC East?

NewsBot

Reaction score
David Irving is a man on a mission. He’s quit the NFL and has engaged in multiple Instagram posts and interviews defending his use of marijuana and promoting it’s medicinal uses. “Everyone thinks it’s about smoking weed. It’s not about smoking weed. It’s much bigger than that.” Irving, has found his voice after announcing his retirement from the NFL. Saturday he opened up on his exit from the Cowboys, and how his conversations with Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones left him with mixed emotions.

In happier news, DeMarcus Lawrence has been at The Star in Frisco putting in time at Captain’s Practices alongside Sean Lee and cycling buddy Tyrone Crawford. Lawrence’s participation is a pleasant sign as his negotiations for a long-term deal continue.

More on these two gentlemen, and other Cowboys news and notes below.

David Irving claims Jason Garrett told him to ‘quit, smoke all the weed’ | Cowboys Wire

“Man listen, man listen. All I got is this ambition. A couple million make you stand different. They dropped the ball so I ran with it.” – Belly

Irving seems to have his eyes on the future, rather than worrying about what he’s lost out on. Saturday however, Irving took time to look back. In an unfiltered phone interview with USA Today, Irving offered his take on how his separation from the Cowboys went down.

Irving started in on Jason Garrett, claiming the head coach “…told me I should just quit, smoke all the weed I want, the team didn’t need me…I’m a distraction to the team.” “He views marijuana as a drug, whereas I view it as a medicine. It’s not a good situation.”

Irving did have a more praising take on Jerry Jones. “Basically, Jerry, he is supportive of me,” Irving said, adding Jones didn’t agree with all parts of the league substance-abuse policies. “He understands my situation and what I was dealing with. Our hands were pretty much tied. His hands were tied.”

Lawrence workouts reminiscent of Dez Bryant during 2015 tag fight | Cowboys Wire

The negative: DeMarcus Lawrence still hasn’t gotten an extension from the Cowboys, and technically is under no contract at all, having not signed his franchise tag yet.

The Positive: Just as Dez Bryant did in 2012, Lawrence is at the Cowboys training facility working out with his teammates during Captain’s workouts while he awaits a new deal. A great sign that the relationship between Lawrence and the Cowboys leadership remains strong. The Cowboys and Lawrence have until July 15th to reach a contract agreement, otherwise Lawrence can only play on a 1-year $20.57 million dollar franchise tag.

Latest NFL Division Winner Odds favor Philly in NFC East | ESPN

The Browns plundered the Giants’ war-chest this off-season, trading for both Olivier Vernon and Odell Beckham Jr. The Giants’ moves have weakened their ability to win the NFC East in 2019, and the Commanders have an uphill battle to climb with starting quarterback Alex Smith still mending his broken leg.

As a result, the Eagles and Cowboys are the two favorites to win the division, with the Eagles just slightly ahead. For now.

OBJ, Bell & Other Moves That Affect Cowboys | Dallas Cowboys

Cowboys long-time staff writer Nick Eatman dives a little deeper into Beckham and Vernon’s impact, as well as eight other players who’s off-season team changes have had an impact on the Cowboys 2019 season, either directly or indirectly.

Number one on Eatman’s list? Cole Beasley.

1. Buffalo Sauce – The Cowboys lost a rather productive veteran in Cole Beasley, who rejected the team’s final offer of around $6 million per season and went to Buffalo, which gave him a higher guaranteed figure of $14.4 million. Beasley had developed into one of the NFL’s best slot receivers and won’t be easy to replace. The Cowboys have since re-signed Tavon Austin, but he hasn’t proven to be the same type of inside receiver as Beasley. The Cowboys will be counting on the health of Allen Hurns to develop into a steady option in the slot.​

One study shows the Cowboys approach to free agency might be extremely incorrect | Blogging the Boys

The Cowboys have been low-level players int he free agency market in recent years, their last big splash free agent signing was Brandon Carr, who signed a 5-year $50.1 million contract in 2012. Seven years ago. That’s not a typo. In 2019 they’ve brought in just two outside players, you can track all the Cowboys signings here in our Compensatory Pick Tracker.

Blogging the Boys breaks down For the Win’s study on the metric Value Above Market Price (VAMP), and how it can be utilized to determine if paying a player free agent level contracts is actually detrimental to team success or not. Funny thing, it isn’t. When it comes to the Cowboys, and their lack of free-agency spending, that might have a lasting negative impact.

On average, NFL teams are overpaying homegrown vets by $2.37 million. Free agent acquisitions are being overpaid by $1.19 million. Second contracts, in general, return less value — the market is no longer capped. So both numbers are negative, but there’s a wide spread between the two that favors signing free agents above re-signing your own players.​

From $289 to $395K: NFL’s smallest, biggest incentives | ESPN

Dak Prescott is the lowest paid starting quarterback in the NFL. He’s also eventually going to sign a multi-year extension worth north of $100 million. He’ll be alright. In the meantime he makes ESPN’s list of odd incentives. In addition to what ESPN notes that Prescott has gotten so far, he also gets to take home a little extra change this year because of something called a Proven Performance Escalator.

The little known rule allows players who were drafted in the 3rd-round or later and still playing on their rookie contracts to take home some additional pay based on how much they play. Prescott is qualified on multiple fronts, and “Players eligible for the PPE will see their fourth year base salary escalate to the lowest restricted free agent (RFA) tender for that season.”

Win season tickets for 100 years | NFL

The NFL is combining with every team, Cowboys included, to offer 100 years of season tickets for one lucky fan to their team of choice. 2019 marks the 100th anniversary for the NFL. Count on a season long theme centered around it being the 100th year. The NFL is reportedly leaning toward spurning their recent tradition of having the Super Bowl winner host the following season’s kickoff game, instead they may roll with Packers vs. Bears in homage to the league’s history.

#cowboyszone, be there for every play & for every celebration. Enter to win 100 years of #DallasCowboys season tickets by posting a picture or video that proves you're our biggest fan! Tag #NFL100Contest & @NFL to enter before April 7th. More details → https://t.co/OGlVP4uFM3 pic.twitter.com/aYNjRljG5n

— Dallas Cowboys (@dallascowboys) March 16, 2019

You can follow Burke at @BurkeDowner.

Gallery

Cowboys 7-round Mock Draft: March 15, 2019

Continue reading...