News: USAToday: News: Varying opinions on Cowboys willingness to pay Ezekiel Elliott

NewsBot

Reaction score
During the lean summer months, offseason speculation often runs rampant without actual football to quell the storm. This week, amidst all the ongoing contract talk surrounding QB Dak Prescott and WR Amari Cooper, somehow the notion that RB Ezekiel Elliott might get left out began to circulate.

There was this ProFootballTalk article, questioning when Dallas would do a second deal with Elliott. Yahoo Sports also posted an article the same day, asking whether Elliott would be the “odd man out” in the Cowboys upcoming roster shuffle. Both articles cite this ESPN piece by Dan Graziano, in which he doubts the likelihood of Elliott receiving a contract extension within two years:

“Based on conversations I’ve had with several people connected to this situation, I do not think Elliott gets an extension this offseason, or even next offseason. As vital a player as he is, the Cowboys don’t feel the same urgency with this deal that they do with Prescott, Cooper or even cornerback Byron Jones. They’ve picked up the 2020 option . . . and because running back numbers always stay low relative to other positions, they feel good about their ability to use the franchise tag on him in 2021 if need be. They have sensible cost control over Elliott for at least three years.”​

This flies in the face of everything the Dallas front office has publicly said about Elliott this offseason. They’ve called him the straw that stirs the drink, and claimed to have intentions of making Elliott the highest-paid RB in the league.

There’s definitely an order to the operations, but is the new Elliott deal ever actually coming, or will it be perpetually on the back-burner by design, allowing a “wait-and-see” approach?

While the #Cowboys have made clear Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper are at the front of the line, they’ve also been talking contract with Ezekiel Elliott‘s reps … and everyone seems to be on the same page. @nflnetwork @NFLTotalAccess pic.twitter.com/phBOJkseqV

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) May 21, 2019

Only time will tell, which is all there is between now and the start of training camp.

Cowboys’ Prescott ‘may second’ WR Amari Cooper’s comments on QB’s contract negotiations :: WFAA.com

From his youth football camp back in his home state of Louisiana, Prescott agreed with Cooper regarding what makes him so deserving of a top-tier QB contract. Cooper recently told First Take that Prescott deserves the deal because of how seriously he takes each rep, something Prescott acknowledges as part of his approach. It’s not just for his own sake, but his teammate’s as well.

“When it matters the most and you have to go win, you have to make the play, not only myself but my team, we have a lot of guys like that that want that opportunity in their hands,” said Prescott. “They want to be able to make that play. They want their number called. So, I mean, I’m just surrounded by honestly a lot of great players. It makes my job easier at these times.”​

Cowboys Legend Darren Woodson: ‘Why I Really Left ESPN’ :: 105.3 The Fan

There really is no place like home, even when you’re working for the Worldwide Leader in Sports. Just ask Darren Woodson, who recently joined Mike Fisher for a Frisco power lunch, right outside Woodson’s new digs in The Star.

After serving as an ESPN analyst on a variety of programs over the past 14 NFL seasons, Woodson left the network back in May. He revealed it had nothing to do with ESPN, except for the travel and wear-and-tear the grind it was having on his family and personal life:

“Everything I’ve said about how great [ESPN] was is true, and everything I’ve said about how challenging TV was is true, too,” Woodson says before expanding his chest with a deep breath and then letting it all out. “But, Fish … The travel! And being away from home! It just wasn’t worth it anymore, on a personal level or a financial level. It just wasn’t worth it.”​

Rank’Em: Finding the Best Undrafted DB Ever :: DallasCowboys.com

For most teams, the undrafted defensive backs are as unheralded as they come. Not for the Cowboys however, as some of the franchises’ best and most memorable DBs are of the of the undrafted variety.

Take a scroll through memory lane, as DallasCowboys.com counts down the top 10 UDFA DBs to come through Dallas.

Gallery

11 most important and indispensable Cowboys for 2019

view 22 images

Gallery

Cowboys 53-man roster projection

view 63 images

Gallery

Cowboys 2019 Offseason Player Power Rankings

view 63 images

Continue reading...