1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

USC/Los Angeles County Antibody tests are great news

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by Kaiser, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Kevinicus

Kevinicus Well-Known Member

16,603 Messages
    9,570 Likes Received
    You even quoted it.

2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

33,032 Messages
    9,042 Likes Received
    Stop. You just keep tossing crap against the wall.

here's what I posted - Please tell me how you get from 358 to 97. For ANYONE who knows a anything about research, there are major red flags when you see patients dropped. Here we've dropped like 65% of the study population. ANYONE who knows anything about ANY form of research would find that very troubling.

But yeah, keep just posting without quoting anything from under your bridge.

"A retrospective cohort studyof 358 patients with laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection hospitalized in Korea Worker’s Compensation & Welfare Service Daegu Hospital was conducted."

(and why did we lose 82 patients?)

"Of the 270 mild and moderate COVID-19 patients"

Then we drop again to 97 patients with little or no explanation.

"moderate COVID-19 patients who have dyspnea or pneumonia lesions were further categorized into three different groups: those treated with Lop/R plus antibiotics(n= 35), those treated with HQ plus antibiotics(n = 22),and those given only conservative treatment (n= 40)"

3. Tabascocat

Tabascocat Dexternjack Zone Supporter

19,926 Messages
    22,464 Likes Received
    I finally broke down to read this. It appears that the study narrowed it down to 97 patients who fit into the moderate category who shows dyspnea or pneumonia lesions.

Severe cases were omitted because they were sent to intensive care in an early management stage. It would not be prudent to include them in a study like this.

I do agree that this was poorly written and confusing at times, almost like a group of undergrads threw it together. It would have been nice to have a control group of moderate patients for comparison. Is the group that got conservative treatment the control? Again, confusing....

This study did cherry-pick a specific demographic in which I would be very hesitant to take it seriously without a trial following. They could have included the mild patients and used the viral shedding in their methods.

This is an okay, little study(starting point) but it is not enough to move the needle in either direction regarding a treatment.

Kaiser and Kevinicus like this.
  4. AbeBeta

33,032 Messages
    9,042 Likes Received
    Lack of error control is not okay as a starting point. 50 tests with no error adjustment buys you at least 2-3 false positives. That accelerates when you cherry pick without justification.

Do see the much larger Lancet study I posted in the thread. With 10s of 1000s of patients, it is the most definitive evidence yet.

5. Tabascocat

19,926 Messages
    22,464 Likes Received
    I’ll look it over menana, long day and need to unwind :thumbup:

6. AbeBeta

33,032 Messages
    9,042 Likes Received
    Tl;dr is @#&% don't work.

7. Tabascocat

19,926 Messages
    22,464 Likes Received
    Huh? I said I will read it tomorrow :huh:

8. Kevinicus

16,603 Messages
    9,570 Likes Received
    I question your reading ability if you keep asking "how did they go from 358 to 97?" You may not agree with it, but it is pretty cleary described how they got that number.

For someone who talks such a big game, you'd think you'd be able to figure it out.

Kaiser and Jammer like this.
  9. AbeBeta

33,032 Messages
    9,042 Likes Received
    i

It is not.

Stop lying.

Post an explanation.

10. Kevinicus

16,603 Messages
    9,570 Likes Received

Here's your first clue.
    Here's your 2nd.

Agree or disagree with the method, but stop BSimg about them not explaining where the numbers came from...especially if you're going to quote it.

Kaiser and Jammer like this.
  11. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,429 Messages
    24,286 Likes Received
    Love to hear your thoughts, I was going to read it this weekend but will wait for your post.

Tabascocat likes this.