Using Crawford $9-10M, who would you sign long-term?

Techsass

Reaction score
not since Gregory’s return it’s been him and DLaw name I have seen. Now I’ve seen Aldon in the vicinity but usually just a tick late

I can review game stats
Don't worry about looking up his stats. My point was he is in the vicinity a lot, which is why I wouldn't spend silly money on him. While he might not get the actual tackle, he is interfering with the designed play on a pretty consistent basis.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I know Randy isn't a free agent until 2021 but we do have to make a decision on Smith. Ideally, we can get him to another one-year deal but that's 50/50 right now IMO. I guess the question is do you value him enough to give him Crawford money and risk losing Randy next year.

Randy Gregory
Aldon Smith
I don’t think you can risk extending Randy or Aldon. They have to much baggage. You think extending Zeke and Jaylon was bad. Randy and Aldon could be suspended for having a bad weekend. Give the money to Dak, he if anyone on the team would deserve it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know Randy isn't a free agent until 2021 but we do have to make a decision on Smith. Ideally, we can get him to another one-year deal but that's 50/50 right now IMO. I guess the question is do you value him enough to give him Crawford money and risk losing Randy next year.

Randy Gregory
Aldon Smith
Gregory will be restricted. He will only have 3 of service at the end of this season.

They have to keep cap space available to Franchise Dak.

If they get a contract done early, then they'll have more cap space because the 1st year cap hit will be much smaller than the Tag amount.

It is difficult to know what contract is reasonable for Aldon Smith. He is 31 but he has played 73% of the snaps on defense this season which is in the range of what many younger starters play at his position.

I would target a couple of free agents in the 4M to 10M per year range with a focus on savvy veteran players, especially defensive players from the Patriots.

Majic

Reaction score
Is it just me or Aldon seem a bit heavy. I know he bulked up to the 280 range thinking to play DE but we've used him a lot as a 3-4 LBer. I'm just seeing the explosion and I wonder if the weight, conditioning, or age?

Aldon had the most success in his career as a 3-4 OLB with the 49ers. He does look very bulked up but has shown enough for me to re-sign, needs a proper off season conditioning etc.

conner01

Reaction score
Gregory will be restricted. He will only have 3 of service at the end of this season.

If they get a contract done early, then they'll have more cap space because the 1st year cap hit will be much smaller than the Tag amount.

It is difficult to know what contract is reasonable for Aldon Smith. He is 31 but he has played 73% of the snaps on defense this season which is in the range of what many younger starters play at his position.

I would target a couple of free agents in the 4M to 10M per year range with a focus on savvy veteran players, especially defensive players from the Patriots.
I think you point out the problem the staff created with Aldon
We have over used him
He was hot early and has somewhat faded
He should have been used much less
I’d look at signing him if the price was right but I’d assume a part time player who plays more like 50% or less of snaps

fivetwos

Reaction score

Jerry will guarantee him 50 million (when no one else was willing to go more than year to year) just so he can get up there and gloat over the feel good story.

"See....look at the contract he earned. What a story. It was all me me me."

Then we will never hear from Smith again on the field.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

So you'd let Aldon walk.......

visionary

Reaction score

Randy Gregory
Aldon Smith

I’m still waiting for so called intelligent Cowboy fans to learn from previous mistakes and realize that giving co tract extend to players who have been unreliable in the past and/or are in their contract year and are suddenly producing is a bad idea

I guess I’ll wait some more

in case I’m not clear, giving an extension to Gregory or Aldon would be an absolutely terrible and horrible idea

visionary

Reaction score
So you'd let Aldon walk.......

is this even a serious question?

you take a player with a long history of very very questionable activities, sign him to a one year deal to help him rehabilitate his image and get good production out if him and then let him walk to someone else and get a comp pick and watch him implode on another team

that’s how smart GMs do it

but we will sign him and morons on this forum will rejoice

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Randy Gregory
Aldon Smith

Where is this 9-10mil for crawford coming from? He's a freeagent in 2021. And if they wanted to resign him which i dont see he would cost maybe 1/4 of what he does now. He not quick enough to do what they want on the edge and not big enough to do what they want inside.

Majic

Reaction score
I’m still waiting for so called intelligent Cowboy fans to learn from previous mistakes and realize that giving co tract extend to players who have been unreliable in the past and/or are in their contract year and are suddenly producing is a bad idea

I guess I’ll wait some more

in case I’m not clear, giving an extension to Gregory or Aldon would be an absolutely terrible and horrible idea

When the mistakes have been made it is when players have been overpaid and signed to contracts where the cap hit is so significant you are stuck with them. Both Gregory and Smith have shown enough to re-sign and I think we can do this at a much cheaper price than splashing out on the equivalent free agent. We must ensure we can get out of any extensions relatively quickly.

Where it should be flashing 'Caveat Emptor' is on our secondary guys

Swagger

Reaction score
Sign Gregory to a 3 year deal. Smoking pot isn't an issue anymore with the new CBA.
Agree.

I loved the hustle that Gregory showed in trying to get off the field before Washington snapped the ball. The guy wants to make up for lost time.

Go on Randy!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Randy Gregory
Aldon Smith

If this year hadn't taught the lesson that if your DT aren't good it won't matter who you have at DE then it just won't matter if he stays or leaves.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I agree but it likely comes down to how bad you wanna keep the player(s). Of course, we have more invested in Randy and he appears to have a higher ceiling but can he control his pot/weed habit?
Can't be afraid to let a player go if your cap structure can't support him. Something Jerry fails miserably with.

ESisback

Reaction score
Just my opinion...Core...

OL—Smith, Collins, Martin, Badass, Williams, McGovern, Looney, Erving
QB—Dak, Gilbert, Nooch
RB—Pollard, Elliott
WR—Lamb, Gallup, Coop, Wilson
TE—Jarwin, Shultz
DE—Lawrence, Gregory, Smith, Anae
DT—Gallimore, Hill, Anjou
LB—LVE, Smith, Thomas
DB—Diggs, Wilson, Brown, Awuzie, Lewis, Woods