Using Crawford $9-10M, who would you sign long-term?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You can't use Crawfords money because he's not under contract last year. The opportunity to move Crawfords money to someone else was of course ruined by the front office, they had the last 2 years to do so
Yep, this is correct.

They could have moved on from him before this season and rolled that money towards next year. They wanted to be right about him. Fan Boys here talked about all the "intangibles" he brings the team.

Instead they are paying $8M cash ($9M in cap room) for 8 tackles, 1 QB pressure, 0 sacks, and 0 TFL's in 41% of all defensive snaps played.

Money well spent.

conner01

Reaction score
I’m still waiting for so called intelligent Cowboy fans to learn from previous mistakes and realize that giving co tract extend to players who have been unreliable in the past and/or are in their contract year and are suddenly producing is a bad idea

I guess I’ll wait some more

in case I’m not clear, giving an extension to Gregory or Aldon would be an absolutely terrible and horrible idea
I get your fear but I think there is a way to safely sign them that protects the team but gives them a shot to help this team
Neither is gonna have teams lined up to give them huge contracts
I would look at 2-3 years with very small money upfront and lots of incentives
If they find a team willing to throw millions of up front money at them so be it
But I don’t think either will have many teams chasing them

Whyjerry

Reaction score
What they can't do is break the bank on players (Gregory and Smith) who are risky investments and best utilized as situational players.

I completely agree. Based on their current contracts and the risk I bet both can be signed. No one is paying Gregory 10 million.

The bigger question is what can be added with the 15 million they waste on Zeke.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Both have to be resigned on 2-3 year deals, that you can get out after one year with a minimal hit
Yall talk as if Dallas is the only team that will be interested. If they are offered better than that stuff you mentioned they are gone. Then what?

cern

Reaction score
Where is this 9-10mil for crawford coming from? He's a freeagent in 2021. And if they wanted to resign him which i dont see he would cost maybe 1/4 of what he does now. He not quick enough to do what they want on the edge and not big enough to do what they want inside.
great point. the time to cull crawford would have been before this seaon started. now he's just a weekly embarrassment on the field.

817Gill

Reaction score
Is it just me or Aldon seem a bit heavy. I know he bulked up to the 280 range thinking to play DE but we've used him a lot as a 3-4 LBer. I'm just seeing the explosion and I wonder if the weight, conditioning, or age?
Get him back to 265-270 and I think he’s able to avoid that wall he hit about week 6. Then again that wall may be just from his lack of playing in 5 years. Would like him a bit slimmer though and I hope he’s frustrated with his loss of explosion. He’s about 70% of who he was, if we can get him to 85% we got a pro bowler.

817Gill

Reaction score
The word around Dallas that I've been hearing on the radio is that Aldon likely doesn't want to be here. I've heard it numerous times. Besides the one game against Seattle where he amassed three sacks, he's been an average football player.

I'd take Chido back if the price is right on a stop gap deal, until I can get some other DBs developed and playing well. The problem there is that he more or less annoyed coaches this season while spending 9 weeks nursing a hammy. Chido likely won't be back either.
Whispers from the star?

Would definitely be interested in hearing about what Aldon wants to do. His close relationship with Mike McCarthy and the Merging Vets and Players program makes me think he stays in town. Glazer was talking about Aldon helping him open a chapter in Dallas. Aldon owes that organization and Jay his life and football career, I think they play a much more significant role in his decision making than maybe strictly on-field stuff.

As for Chido yes. A 1-year prove it deal as insurance wouldn’t hurt. A top drafted DB, Diggs, Chido, Brown and another mid-round CB to develop would be perfect. Let Canaday and Goodwin fight for that last ST spot.

817Gill

Reaction score
I think you point out the problem the staff created with Aldon
We have over used him
He was hot early and has somewhat faded
He should have been used much less
I’d look at signing him if the price was right but I’d assume a part time player who plays more like 50% or less of snaps
Anae needs to rotate in smh

817Gill

Reaction score
They met one time prior to the signing.

Is in California.

Aldon needs/wants a strong support structure around him and he's more likely to find that back in Los Angeles.

https://www.si.com/.amp-cowboys/nfl...oys-coach-mccarthy-actress-hollywood-daughter

He worked out with McCarthys daughter in LA so that’s the first connection.

The more hard-hitting evidence comes from a Forbes article published 3 days ago

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...n-thank-foxs-jay-glazer-for-his-comeback/amp/

“Glazer helped Smith land with Dallas-based agent Ron Slavin. Making him an even better fit in Dallas was how much he wowed Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy. “Him and McCarthy just hit it off,” Glazer said. “Those two just connected.”

Don’t have to know someone forever to be close, especially with vulnerable people looking for as much support and guidance as they can get. Also Glazer said himself he thinks Aldon’s best fit is in Dallas, which is why he pushed him to Slavin and the Cowboys.

Again 3 days ago, from Glazer himself and Forbes.

“The Cowboys and Smith are now discussing a long-term deal, and Smith wants to help open an MVP chapter in Dallas.”

Not sure where you’ve gotten your info but I’ve watched every Glazer interview about Aldon since he signed and everything points towards Aldon and his support system wanting a future for him here.

@ClappingCarrot brought up he heard something about him wanting to move on after this season on the radio. Would definitely want to hear those reports, and even though all evidence points to him wanting to stay I do see scenarios where he leaves. (Poor culture, Mike fired, etc). Open to hearing more info but I don’t think we’ll have more until seasons end.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/.amp-cowboys/nfl...oys-coach-mccarthy-actress-hollywood-daughter

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...n-thank-foxs-jay-glazer-for-his-comeback/amp/

Glazer helped Smith land with Dallas-based agent Ron Slavin. Making him an even better fit in Dallas was how much he wowed Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy. “Him and McCarthy just hit it off,” Glazer said. “Those two just connected.”

Don’t have to know someone forever to be close, especially with vulnerable people looking for as much support and guidance as they can get. Also Glazer said himself he thinks Aldon’s best fit is in Dallas, which is why he pushed him to Slavin and the Cowboys.

“The Cowboys and Smith are now discussing a long-term deal, and Smith wants to help open an MVP chapter in Dallas.”

Not sure where you’ve gotten your info but I’ve watched every Glazer interview about Aldon since he signed and everything points towards Aldon and his support system wanting a future for him here.

@ClappingCarrot brought up he heard something about him wanting to move on after this season on the radio. Would definitely want to hear those reports, and even though all evidence points to him wanting to stay I do see scenarios where he leaves. (Poor culture, Mike fired, etc). Open to hearing more info but I don’t think we’ll have more until seasons end.

I hope it works out for Aldon and would be great if he can find the support he needs by providing that support (opening a new chapter) for Veterans.

I just don't think there's much to him and McCarthy having any type of special relationship.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score

“Glazer helped Smith land with Dallas-based agent Ron Slavin. Making him an even better fit in Dallas was how much he wowed Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy. “Him and McCarthy just hit it off,” Glazer said. “Those two just connected.”

So I've heard two or three times from Bryan Broaddus on the GBag Nation show that Aldon may not want to be here when the time comes to address that in the off-season. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen. I will say though that he is probably the most connected personality on Dallas radio, having worked for the team directly.

817Gill

Reaction score
I hope it works out for Aldon and would be great if he can find the support he needs by providing that support (opening a new chapter) for Veterans.

I just don't think there's much to him and McCarthy having any type of special relationship.
Completely understand that’s definitely a reasonable take brotha!

817Gill

Reaction score
So I've heard two or three times from Bryan Broaddus on the GBag Nation show that Aldon may not want to be here when the time comes to address that in the off-season. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen. I will say though that he is probably the most connected personality on Dallas radio, having worked for the team directly.
Yeah he makes bold claims but they have some truth to them more often than not. The one form of Cowboys media I haven’t dove into yet is radio (25 so I never tune into the radio). Your whisper from the star segments had me looking up radio stations and I think you’re inspiring me to make another delve into radio lol.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Yeah he makes bold claims but they have some truth to them more often than not. The one form of Cowboys media I haven’t dove into yet is radio (25 so I never tune into the radio). Your whisper from the star segments had me looking up radio stations and I think you’re inspiring me to make another delve into radio lol.
So I actually live in Charlotte, so way out of the market 17 hours away. I downloaded the radio.com application on my phone and usually listen to the Fan while I'm working during the day. It's great radio in my opinion. Both Joneses are on twice a week, Mike Fisher calls in with good content several days a week (usually McCarthy criticism), the DC.com staff writers like Eatman and Helman frequently call in, and guys like Joe Looney and Michael Irvin both have their own segments. McCarthy also talks with Shan and RJ first thing on Friday mornings. I can agree with radio being kind of antiquated especially here where I live where most of the callers are just angry fans. But a market like Dallas...great radio. I listen probably 7 hours a day.

817Gill

Reaction score
So I actually live in Charlotte, so way out of the market 17 hours away. I downloaded the radio.com application on my phone and usually listen to the Fan while I'm working during the day. It's great radio in my opinion. Both Joneses are on twice a week, Mike Fisher calls in with good content several days a week (usually McCarthy criticism), the DC.com staff writers like Eatman and Helman frequently call in, and guys like Joe Looney and Michael Irvin both have their own segments. McCarthy also talks with Shan and RJ first thing on Friday mornings. I can agree with radio being kind of antiquated especially here where I live where most of the callers are just angry fans. But a market like Dallas...great radio. I listen probably 7 hours a day.
Wow thanks Clap that’s actually very clutch. I’m going to download now, so many tidbits of insider info with those guys it’s nice to be up on it.

conner01

Reaction score
Anae needs to rotate in smh
I agree
I think aldon is a much more effective player with less reps
I’d never give him over 50%
He’s 31 and been away from the game a long time
Used right he can be effective for several more years
Used on 70% of snaps is just not a smart idea

817Gill

Reaction score
I agree
I think aldon is a much more effective player with less reps
I’d never give him over 50%
He’s 31 and been away from the game a long time
Used right he can be effective for several more years
Used on 70% of snaps is just not a smart idea
Exactly. Another silver-lining benefit of being out of contention is we will give young guys reps. With our coaching staffs sometimes they have to see the obvious work by force before they do it voluntarily. It’s unfortunate but far too common with this organization.