Valentine's Draft and Free Agency

Sandyf

Reaction score
Before free agency, sign Dak to a six year deal (appears it is getting close by the day), sign Bryon Jones to a five year deal, either sign or franchise Amari Cooper, transition tag on Robert Quinn. There are a few others to sign although they could wait on most and do in free agency depending how it goes.

In free agency, sign Karl Joseph S Oakland to a three year deal (should be relatively cheap the way safety money is now), sign Marcus Mariota QB Tennessee to a two year deal ($5 million total) to learn from McCarthy (gives a valuable backup and one that could be like Bridgewater and become a nice trading piece), sign Jordan Phillips DT Buffalo (probably going to take a three year $20 million deal), trade a 5th round pick for O.J. Howard TE Tampa Bay (contract for 2020 is $1.8 million) is a good receiving TE that has fallen out of favor, and see if you could convince Vic Beasley DE Atlanta to sign on a one year $5 million deal with incentives with contract penalties for behavior.

Draft.
1. Henry Ruggs III WR Alabama - gives you the speed similar to KC Hill, great punt returner and kickoff returner

2. Raekwon Davis DT Alabama - big man, great run stopper, can get pressure of QB

3. Ashtyn Davis S California - gives a very good trio of Woods, Joseph and Davis who could drop down and play some strong side LB.

4. Ezra Cleveland OT Boise St - should be a very good back OT for either side

5. Traded for O.J. Howard

5. Comp pick for Beasley - Luq Barcoo CB San Diego St - underrated CB prospect

7. Jabari Zuniga DE Florida - work to do but big upside

Creeper

Reaction score
This seems like a very solid, if not spectacular draft. Ruggs could possibly be a true impact player who will make the passing and running games better. I need to see his 40 times at the combine because I fully commit to this pick over a DT, but I am open minded.

I'd like to see the Cowboys go DT a couple of times, How about Benito Jones in the 4th round?

garyv

Reaction score
First problem Dak want sign over 4-years unless the price goes up. Byron Jones would have to sign a discounted contract. They will most likely throw out a low ball number and he will either decline and head to free agency and most likely get a bigger contract and leave because the Cowboys want get into a bidding war for Byron Jones. This is my opinion only but its not about how good a CB he is because hes a solid CB but really don't create turnovers and I believe this is where Nolans Defense will be heading. I think they will look more for beefing up the DT's and getting pressure on opposing QB's and we will most likely be a little young in the secondary. I don't see us going Ruggs in the first round and the main reason probably because before this draft even happens we will have signed or tagged Cooper meaning our starting receivers will be Cooper and Gallup and most likely Cobb in the slot. Why draft Ruggs when he want start when we could draft needs like Safety or Cornerback. I think one of three players will be our first rounder: Kinlaw DT, McKinney Safety or Delpit Safety. Our biggest needs are Secondary and Defensive Tackle. There are mixed reviews on Raekwon Davis. I've read he most likely is a swing tackle in the NFL. If a Gladney CB from TCU was there I would love adding say a Safety like McKinney and a Cornerback like Gladney however the DT is being neglected so this is where Free Agency HAS TO COME IN TO PLAY. Your plan is not a bad one it's like everyones guessing but I do agree they need 3 or 4 free agents to make this work than probably 3 impact players from the draft. If you really study our draft the last two years in honesty I can't give the FO and Will McClay a thumbs up because they reached on some players aka Tristen Hill they way overrated him. There were other GM's and Scouts that had him as a 4th Rounder. This pick was for Marinelli.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I'd like this a lot more if you just re-signed Collins instead of Phillips.

But I really like adding Ruggs and Howard.

Chrisdd

Reaction score
Before free agency, sign Dak to a six year deal (appears it is getting close by the day), sign Bryon Jones to a five year deal, either sign or franchise Amari Cooper, transition tag on Robert Quinn. There are a few others to sign although they could wait on most and do in free agency depending how it goes.

In free agency, sign Karl Joseph S Oakland to a three year deal (should be relatively cheap the way safety money is now), sign Marcus Mariota QB Tennessee to a two year deal ($5 million total) to learn from McCarthy (gives a valuable backup and one that could be like Bridgewater and become a nice trading piece), sign Jordan Phillips DT Buffalo (probably going to take a three year $20 million deal), trade a 5th round pick for O.J. Howard TE Tampa Bay (contract for 2020 is $1.8 million) is a good receiving TE that has fallen out of favor, and see if you could convince Vic Beasley DE Atlanta to sign on a one year $5 million deal with incentives with contract penalties for behavior.

Draft.
1. Henry Ruggs III WR Alabama - gives you the speed similar to KC Hill, great punt returner and kickoff returner

2. Raekwon Davis DT Alabama - big man, great run stopper, can get pressure of QB

3. Ashtyn Davis S California - gives a very good trio of Woods, Joseph and Davis who could drop down and play some strong side LB.

4. Ezra Cleveland OT Boise St - should be a very good back OT for either side

5. Traded for O.J. Howard

5. Comp pick for Beasley - Luq Barcoo CB San Diego St - underrated CB prospect

7. Jabari Zuniga DE Florida - work to do but big upside
Love the draft, except for one thing, you didn't pick up a linebacker for depth. We definitely need at least one with all the injuries at that position last year.

dallas72

Reaction score
Not a fan of Reakwon he dropped off big time last 2 years ..hes a 4-5th round talent....prefer Elliott or draft Winfield S #2 and grab Elliott in 3rd

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Collins isnt the Nolan type of DT & hes too inconsistent
We don't know what type of DT Nolan wants yet, but every DC wants DTs who can rush the passer.

He's not inconsistent.

dallas72

Reaction score
We don't know what type of DT Nolan wants yet, but every DC wants DTs who can rush the passer.

He's not inconsistent.
What hes so inconsistent ..and Nolan prefers bigger DT to let lbs make plays..do u not follow NFL? Every team Nolan coaches he prefers run stuffers...he even stated that in his post interview....Maliek is a pre season beast ..regular season hes a ghost & terrible vs the run

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What hes so inconsistent ..and Nolan prefers bigger DT to let lbs make plays..do u not follow NFL? Every team Nolan coaches he prefers run stuffers...he even stated that in his post interview....Maliek is a pre season beast ..regular season hes a ghost & terrible vs the run
You are completely wrong about Collins. He is about as consistent as it gets for a DT.

Nolan hasn't coached in, what, 5 years? I don't care what he did in 2010, the game isn't the same. Run stuffers don't matter.

Sydla

Reaction score
Phillips is better than Collins.

In fact, there are reports that Buffalo may even franchise tag Phillips.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Phillips is better than Collins.

In fact, there are reports that Buffalo may even franchise tag Phillips.
No, he isn't. Especially not if we're talking about consistency.

If they tag him, it's b/c they don't want to give him term, and the cap hit means nothing b/c of how much space they have - it's akin to Suh getting a big 1-year deal in Tampa. The "reports" are also just speculation. The Bills camp has never said anything like that.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Im a fan of Davis. I think he has upside to be a 3 down DT. Thats not common with bigger DT's these days.

He is probably a 2 down DT the first year or maybe even too. Davis is a pick you are hoping to pay dividends down the line

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Love the draft, except for one thing, you didn't pick up a linebacker for depth. We definitely need at least one with all the injuries at that position last year.
Gifford and Smith will be back..... hopefully. I think we could pick up LB depth in FA to help. If Leighton injury situation is not looking good than LB becomes a huge need.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You are completely wrong about Collins. He is about as consistent as it gets for a DT.

Nolan hasn't coached in, what, 5 years? I don't care what he did in 2010, the game isn't the same. Run stuffers don't matter.
Collins problem has been injuries. Even in the mock the OP is suggesting Dallas could bring back Collins as I don't believe he still command a bunch. Maybe even take a 1-3 year deal. Having talent to rotate will help this DL without having much drop off.

dallas72

Reaction score
Collins problem has been injuries. Even in the mock the OP is suggesting Dallas could bring back Collins as I don't believe he still command a bunch. Maybe even take a 1-3 year deal. Having talent to rotate will help this DL without having much drop off.
Woods outplayed Collins at DT this year .hes a scrub. Rotational player at best

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I think Davis is a bit underrated, would like to understand how a guy who had 8+ as a sophomore suddenly fell off the map. If he is as good an athlete as I think he is for the size I would have no problem with that pick.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I'd like this a lot more if you just re-signed Collins instead of Phillips.

But I really like adding Ruggs and Howard.
I’d like to see us upgrade Collins’ spot. Either Hargrave, Shelton or Reader.

Last edited: