Variation on the Dime Defense

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Disagree. He’s isn’t getting a huge deal at his age. All else being equal he is going to want to come home

This exactly^^^^ he's a 30 yo player coming off a major injury. He's not getting much guaranteed money from any team. I'd be surprised if he gets an offer north of $6M

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
This exactly^^^^ he's a 30 yo player coming off a major injury. He's not getting much guaranteed money from any team. I'd be surprised if he gets an offer north of $6M
I'm thinking he'll get Honey badger's deal

They both had about the same amount of question marks as free agents. One year deals make sense for both players

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So its a bit nuts, but instead of dime with 4 DL, 1 LB and 6 DBs - what about ET deep, the four corners, the three LBs LVE, Jaylon and Sean Lee with only three DL like DLaw, Gregory and Collins?

You have great cover skills deep, you have a strong pass rush for the 3 up front and then you have three LBs that cover ground but also blitz. Your corners can blitz also. You have to think Marinelli and Kris Richard could design some really innovative blitz packages with that group on the field for 3rd and 12 type of downs. You would get decent pressure just from the 3 DL and then blitz anywhere from zero to three others from anywhere.

It depends on what you're matching up against. Lots of WRs and you need more corners.

But I've wanted Jaylon to take Byron's old role of covering TEs in man, with the addition of blitzing. Let him play like an in the box SS. Particularly this week with Ertz. I'd much rather have Jaylon playing in the box man coverage than Heath.

That leaves LVE and Lee to play traditional LB zone coverage for nickel, 3 corners, and a single high safety.

When Lee is back, all 3 should be on the field as much as possible. They're just better.

T-RO

Reaction score
So its a bit nuts, but instead of dime with 4 DL, 1 LB and 6 DBs - what about ET deep, the four corners, the three LBs LVE, Jaylon and Sean Lee with only three DL like DLaw, Gregory and Collins?

By definition that isn't a dime. That's a nickel.

And yes...that would be nuts as a replacement for a dime.

Dimes are used to defend four and five receiver groupings. You don't want Lee or even LVE trying to track a WR.

T-RO

Reaction score
Fans might have noticed but in our third and long situations against New Orleans we were using just one linebacker and deploying Lewis to track Kamara.

Zman5

Reaction score
But the idea is that LVE is better in coverage than the 6th DB most teams are playing in that spot. I would take LVE in coverage over most of the guys we have had as our worst Dime back.

In this idea/scheme/fantasy you are replacing the 6th DB with LVE and one of your DTs with Jaylon Smith. I just like the idea that you have a unique set of players and Kris Richard can put 8 guys in coverage or put up to 8 guys on the pass rush/blitz. I think you could do some fun stuff with it.

LVE is good but I don't think he's better than Lewis in coverage(Our 6th DB). Thing with Lewis is, he's also a good tackler.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I don't want Thomas, and I'm a fan of his. Keep building youth, I say. It's working. Thomas will be 30 coming off yet another injury next season. I'll take him for a role player, vet minimum.

DanA

Reaction score
I don't like the 3-3-5 idea because:
- It forces us to play zone
- It reduces pressure on the QB
- Has 3 run defending LB's in a game situation that's going to be a pass

I'd rather have 3 safeties than 3 LB's on the field if you want to have 3 DL and Jaylon rushing.

Kaiser

Reaction score
LVE is good but I don't think he's better than Lewis in coverage(Our 6th DB). Thing with Lewis is, he's also a good tackler.

I think Lewis is our 4th best in coverage and I would definitely have him on the field in this package. Right now I think Xavier Woods is our 6th DB, in the scenario I'm talking about you would have the current CBs on the field with Heath as the deep safety (or next year with ET if he signs).

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'd rather have 3 safeties than 3 LB's on the field if you want to have 3 DL and Jaylon rushing.

If the choice is between LVE and Kavon Frazier (our 3rd safety) I'm taking LVE. The thing about this package is that the 3 LBs can either cover short or blitz, so opponents have to account for that. If its 3rd and 15, the potential for sending 7 pass rushers is something opponents would have to account for.