Vela: Comments on Mike Jenkins

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Updated: Losing Makes Everybody Stupid.

Including the fans.

I’m seeing sites calling for Mike Jenkins to get benched for his olé in the 4th quarter.

People. Keep your senses. Mike Jenkins is getting better every week. He’s the future at one CB spot. He had a pick six Sunday. He’s doing crazy things but he’s got an excuse. He’s a rookie. If he keeps doing crazy things, fine, but he’s got one stupid example on his resume. Adam Jones, by comparison, has a career’s worth of ***-clownery.

But seriously, you gonna bench him and play Anthony Henry, the one-legged man? Who’s better going forward? A guy who’s getting better every week, or a guy who’s slowing down every week and who is again injured?

Would you have benched Leon Lett after Thanksgiving ‘03 for being a knucklehead? And what would it have cost you if you did?

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Fans and Media are walking a fine line between destroying a rookie mentally and venting. Media is expected to pile on, but not fans. This is a first round pick in his first year, you have to anticipate some mistakes, but lets not go crazy and blame him for everything in that 35-14 loss.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I don't see how it's okay for someone not to make a tackle because he's a rookie.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2404302 said:
Fans and Media are walking a fine line between destroying a rookie mentally and venting. Media is expected to pile on, but not fans. This is a first round pick in his first year, you have to anticipate some mistakes, but lets not go crazy and blame him for everything in that 35-14 loss.

IDC how his mentality is your paid to tackle people make the tackle!!

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2404314 said:
I don't see how it's okay for someone not to make a tackle because he's a rookie.
It's not okay, but how long are people going to harp on it. You'd think he murdered somebody.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2404302 said:
I haven't seen anyone blame him for everything in that game but if one play could typify that game he certainly came through.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Mike is coward. I hope someone on the staff had enough stones to say so........sadly, I doubt it.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
41gy#;2404293 said:
Updated: Losing Makes Everybody Stupid.

Including the fans.

I’m seeing sites calling for Mike Jenkins to get benched for his olé in the 4th quarter.

People. Keep your senses. Mike Jenkins is getting better every week. He’s the future at one CB spot. He had a pick six Sunday. He’s doing crazy things but he’s got an excuse. He’s a rookie. If he keeps doing crazy things, fine, but he’s got one stupid example on his resume. Adam Jones, by comparison, has a career’s worth of ***-clownery.

But seriously, you gonna bench him and play Anthony Henry, the one-legged man? Who’s better going forward? A guy who’s getting better every week, or a guy who’s slowing down every week and who is again injured?

Would you have benched Leon Lett after Thanksgiving ‘03 for being a knucklehead? And what would it have cost you if you did?

I don't think Jenkins should get benched (well, yes I do since Newman should be back, but that's besides the point), but Lett's play doesn't compare to Jenkins' play.

Lett made a bonehead play. But he gave EFFORT on that bonehead play. Jenkins gave no effort.

I'd rather have a player make an aggressive mistake, then to just stand around and do nothing. That said, he IS a rookie. I just want to see him own up to it, not make excuses.

2much2soon

Reaction score
I think a distinction needs to made when calling out Pacman here. He obviously has some serious problems but when he stepped on the field he was aggressive and played hard. I don't recall him shying away from contact.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2404314 said:

I don't either. He's made plenty of mental mistakes in coverage, but no one got that upset by it. It's the total lack of effort that's unacceptable.

It made me as mad as anyone, but who knows, maybe he got the message and it won't happen again.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
PBJTime;2404320 said:
It's not okay, but how long are people going to harp on it. You'd think he murdered somebody.

I died a little bit inside does that count?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2404327 said:
I don't either. He's made plenty of mental mistakes in coverage, but no one got that upset by it. It's the total lack of effort that's unacceptable.

It made me as mad as anyone, but who knows, maybe he got the message and it won't happen again.

Coverage mistakes can fly for a rookie but just letting some go into the endzone I don't see how that is a rookie mistake.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2404318 said:
IDC how his mentality is your paid to tackle people make the tackle!!

Saw the game, the play stood out and pissed me off. It looked like he was trying to contain instead of make the tackle. It could have been a mental error by the rookie. It happens. Whatever, its over. most vented. issue should be dropped. You can hate on the guy, last week he was everyones hero. When he got the pick six he was applauded and through most of the game it was the only thing positive that happened. Make a mental mistake, and all of a sudden all media is laughing at you, all the fans think your soft. No need to pile on.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2404302 said:

Think I'll pile on and blame him for half our scoring Sunday.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2404323 said:
Mike is coward. I hope someone on the staff had enough stones to say so........sadly, I doubt it.

Wade: "Mike, Jerry said to try and make the tackle next time. heh heh."

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I'm with Vela, stay with Jenkins and hope he learned from it. The alternative is worse, much worse.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Another overindulgent parent who doesn't believe his own kid is a truant.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would want him benched but I'm reasonably certain he has caught enough flack external and internal. He just needs to say I'm sorry and pretty soon it will be someone else's turn to be the scapegoat.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;2404352 said:
I don't understand why anyone would want him benched but I'm reasonably certain he has caught enough flack external and internal. He just needs to say I'm sorry and pretty soon it will be someone else's turn to be the scapegoat.

It's for the same reason why Davis was sent to the locker room. I'd rather go die fighting then bend over and take in the rear end.