Vela: Don’t Curb Your Enthusiasm, Adapt It ('95 'Boys vs '08 'boys)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I started in the Cowboys blogging business before the term blog exited. My first campaign covering the team was in ‘95, when the won their last Super Bowl, so I have a nice stack of tapes with every game in that 19 game title drive.

And I look at them from time to time, to recall what a title team looks like.

When I do, I’m reminded that there are many ways to a championship. I say that because the defense on that ‘95 team was just not very good. Oh, it had talent, but it was very uneven and inconsistent. Dallas had two superstars in its secondary — Deion Sanders and Darren Woodson. It also had Larry Brown and James Washington, who were okay, but not very good.

The nickelback was often Bill Bates, whom 49ers OC Marc Trestman matched up with Jerry Rice in November. The results were not pretty.

Dallas signed Scott Case, the Webster’s definition of band-aid, to add depth to safety. Case was known as a big hitter, but he hit mostly air that year because he was too slow to slam flesh-and-blood receivers.

The Cowboys linebackers were awful that year. The Cowboys had signed former Oilers’ DC and LB coach Jim Eddy — the scapegoat of that epic ‘93 playoff fail versus Buffalo — to oversee them.

They jettisoned Eddy as soon as the season was over.

The Cowboys had a pass rush, but it lost a lot of juice when Charles Haley’s back gave out. He didn’t play in the playoffs, made a brief cameo in the Super Bowl, and then was done as a Dallas dominator. The Cowboys relied on Tony Tolbert’s creaky knees, which held up for a career year, and on manchild Leon Lett, who went nuts down the stretch; he blew up the Eagles line in the divisional playoffs and picked off a Brett Favre screen pass in the NFC Championship Game.

Beyond that, the ‘95 Cowboys defense was big plays and a lot of crossed fingers. It relied on its offense to carry it. When Troy Aikman went out five minutes into game five, the Cowboys offense sputtered with Wade Wilson at the controls and they lost their 4-0 record to a 1-3 Commanders team that riddled their Deion-deficient secondary.

That defense never recovered from the whipping the 49ers put on them in week ten, when Trestman spread the offense, threw traffic at Sanders and got Rice to run amok on the opposite side of the field against Dallas’ linebackers and safeties. The Cowboys won in Oakland the following week but held on in the 4th quarter when the ancient Vince Evans almost overcame a huge early Dallas lead. Woodson’s late pick prevented a 24 point Raiders rally.

Barry Switzer was crucified for going twice on 4th and 1 from his own 29 in the game fourteen loss to the Eagles. But he called this play twice because he didn’t trust his defense to stop the Eagles from driving for the game winner. And he was right to doubt them.

Rodney Hampton and his Giants mates ripped the Cowboys for 244 rushing yards the following week and the Cowboys used a controversial holding penalty against New York as the springboard for a late, game-winning field goal.

The D got a reprieve in the Philly playoff rematch; Darren Woodson knocked Rodney Peete out of the game early and Randall Cunningham, who had spent the entire week in Las Vegas to attend his child’s birth, was unprepared to step in. The Lett pick and Larry Brown’s late interception slowed Favre down just enough to let the offense outscore Green Bay. Dallas had no answer for TE Keith Jackson or Green Bay’s deep passing game, which roasted Brown to a crisp.

The Steelers controlled the clock and possession for the final 40 minutes of the Super Bowl. An ability to stop the Steelers inside the red zone and Larry Brown’s sure hands on two gimme picks kept the Steelers from ever catching up to an early 13-0 Dallas lead.

That team won on offense. The Triplets were in their prime. Jay Novacek’s back was healthy. The offensive line was dominating.

But don’t let a title cloud the fact that that team was one sided. It outscored people. The dominant overall performances from ‘92 and ‘93 were not in the cards.

This year’s Cowboys team reminds me a lot of that one. It has a turbo-charged offense and a so-so defense. There are some playmakers on the defensive side of the ball — Jay Ratliff, Demarcus Ware, Terence Newman and Ken Hamlin — and some youngsters who intrigue — Orlando Scandrick and Mike Jenkins. Bradie James and Zach Thomas appear when their linemen protect them, which is not often, but they’re there to keep opponents under control. Dominance is not in their vocabulary.

It may seem heretical to compare this offense to that one, but this year’s model has a greater margin for error. It has far more tools at its disposal. The ‘95 line was far more consistent, but turn your attention to the skill positions. Emmitt Smith took over 90% of the carries that year because Sherman Williams was his backup.

This year’s team has Felix Jones. That’s no contest.

That offense had Michael Irvin, in the middle of his career year.

It also had Kevin Williams opposite him and Corey Fleming as the 3rd receiving option.

Kevin Williams might be the 5th best receiver on this team. He can’t compete with Roy Williams or Patrick Crayton and I’d take Miles Austin’s future over Williams’ past.

Fleming? Sam Hurd is better than him. And by that I mean Sam Hurd today, rehabbing in a walking boot, is better than Corey Fleming.

The ‘95 Cowboys offense was a blunt instrument, relentless and steady. This year’s team is more like an exotic sports car, flashy, but prone to breakdowns. But it also has more horsepower under its hood.

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying this year’s team will get on a roll. It may lay down in Washington ten days from now and fade quietly away. If it does right the season, it will proceed as the ‘95 team did, scoring in bunches and counting on the defense to hold the bad guys at 20 points.

It will not win the way the ‘92 team did and it will not win the way the ‘07 Giants did. They got their turnovers under control and rode the defense — Eli’s guys scored 20, 21, 23 and 17 points in their title run. Nobody will ever compare that offense with the ’80s 49ers or the ’90s Cowboys.

I’m sure the team knows this. Get ready for the return of down-the-field passing, to T.O. and Roy Williams. Get ready for heavier doses of Felix. Get ready for Tony Romo to do his Joe Namath impersonation. Get ready for Jason Garrett to channel his inner Sid Gillman. He’s calling deep and Romo will throw deep — a lot.

This is how it has to be. Expecting the Cowboys to win any other way will bend your mind out of shape.

Adjust your expectations accordingly. Your nervous system will thank you.

aikemirv

Reaction score
If the oline can protect Romo, we have a shot no doubt because we can score with or more than anybody if Romo's stays on his feet.

I think it is just the "give up" i have seen in NY and St Louis that bothers me the most about this team and their future this year. I know the defense was tired and worn down in those games and the offense was pitiful but it is hard to get past that stuff.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As usual, Vela makes a lot of good points in his article.

I remember the game against the 49ers in November of '95-- what an arse whipping the Cowboys took!

I agree with Vela in that I think this team is going to go pass, pass, pass over the last half of the season. I don't think there will be much emphasis on the running game. The whole plan will be to score more than the defense gives up.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
2 inaccuracies: 1) James Washington was gone by 95. The safeties were Woody and Brock Marion I believe. 2) Trestman got Jerry Rice matched up in the slot with Darrin Smith, a lb not Bates , in the November 95 game (38-20 Niners) which resulted in a 80 yard td on the first play or series of the game.

Bates was almost exclusively a special teamer after the knee injury in 92 if I'm not mistaken.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
As I've stated before, STOP COMPARING EVERYTHING TO TEAMS OF THE 90'S!

This is a different team, different era, different game. Let it go media.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I just cannot/refuse to believe our D cannot get better with all the talent they have on that side of the ball

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I didn't like that comparison at all.

I see really no similarities between today's team at the last SB winning team of the 'Boys.

I think if this team is clicking on both sides of the ball, it can be dominant like the '92 or '93 team.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
:confused: .... that cant be right....the super bowl Cowboys of the 90's NEVER made mistakes......

:sarcasm:

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2406872 said:
The Cowboys linebackers were awful that year. The Cowboys had signed former Oilers’ DC and LB coach Jim Eddy — the scapegoat of that epic ‘93 playoff fail versus Buffalo — to oversee them.

If the '95 Cowboys had any critical weaknesses, it was the linebacker position, whose play had declined precipitously from the previous season. The sudden drop off was baffling because the Cowboys returned precisely the same group of linebackers in '95 that they had fielded in '94. As the season wore on, they became progressively worse.

At corner, Larry Brown was an intelligent player who, unfortunately, lacked ideal speed for his position. Dallas was dominating Green Bay in the '95 Championship until Brett Favre hit Robert Brooks on a 70 yards TD pass with Larry Brown trailing badly in coverage. Late in the second half, the Packers had the opportunity to take a 2 score lead when Anthony Morgan beat Larry Brown on virtually the same play. Thankfully, Favre overthrew the ball.

At receiver, Cory Fleming may have been the worst third option I've ever seen. It seemed the 95 game at Philly--the infamous 4th and 1 debacle--was the last time Fleming ever played a substantial number of minutes for the Cowboys. He dropped an inordinate number of passes, including some crucial third down conversions. After the Philly game, if the Cowboys wanted to spread the field, they split out Moose and put in Deion.

dboyz

Reaction score
I agree generally with Vela. Our recipe for success is great offense, good defense. The Tampa Bay game gave me hope that we could be really good, but we'll see. Newman back in the lineup will be huge. I think we can make strides defensively and we'll have to in order to be a super bowl contender.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2406965 said:
I just cannot/refuse to believe our D cannot get better with all the talent they have on that side of the ball

Exactly! Our standards should be kept high on the defensive side of the ball. Look at all of the first round draft picks spent in years past and all the big money being dumped into that side of the ball.

I know Rafael wants to be realistic but we need more bang for our buck on that side of the ball.

Our D-line only has Ratliff that plays like a first rounder, not Spears.

We've got 4 first rounders and a 2nd in the LB corps and only Ware plays like a first rounder right now. Spencer is never healthy enough to get a grade on him.

The secondary including safeties I'd give Newman and Hamlin first round grades but Newman can't seem to stay healthy and Hamlin doesn't look anywhere as organized or good as last year and look at the contract he got.

Past first rounders on defense:

Marcus Spears
Demarcus Ware
Greg Ellis
Bobby Carpenter
Anthony Spencer
Terrence Newman
Roy Williams
Mike Jenkins

That's 8 first rounders for 11 possible starting spots. Other than Ware, Newman and Ellis I haven't seen the expected return on any of those defensive picks with the exception of Roy Williams early in his career. But he's in the dumps now. Funny thing is, the draft and free agency will be very defense oriented yet again and it is greatly required at this point.

zack

Reaction score
This is a nicely written post.

I think what Dallas needs to do is be themselves. It starts with the offense like the original post states. Look, we are not a run first team. It started with the playoff loss to the Giants. Yeah, we ran all over them like crazy, but came away with very little points. We were a scoring machine, a big play team, we played Parcells ball in that game. We tried to keep the ball away from the Giants.

The Dallas offense needs to pass first, then run. Don't try to be cute, play to your strength. Again, the line has block in order for this to work. But for some reason, I am confident that they are going to go back to being a pass first offense, then give a heavy dose of the run once they score some points.

At least this is what I pray happens....

BHendri5

Reaction score
very good post and there is a lot of similarities.

larry brown always try to come off like he was good, he was a scrub that got a chance to play because there was no one else to get, even of the street.

Just like D Hall he stole money from al Davis.

kramskoi

Reaction score
parcells316;2406925 said:
2 inaccuracies: 1) James Washington was gone by 95. The safeties were Woody and Brock Marion I believe. 2) Trestman got Jerry Rice matched up in the slot with Darrin Smith, a lb not Bates , in the November 95 game (38-20 Niners) which resulted in a 80 yard td on the first play or series of the game.

Bates was almost exclusively a special teamer after the knee injury in 92 if I'm not mistaken.

i think you are correct...i don't even remember James Washington after 93 and Kevin Smith was lost early in the season with an achilles injury in 95 iirc...man!...those niners games were downright harmful to the psyche.

Bill Bates was principally ST but man that guy had a motor...i always wondered why they could'nt find a place for him on defense.

Brock Marion did start in 95 and had 6 int, one of which came in Superbowl thirty. He was a seventh round draft pick but also a three time pro bowler.

kramskoi

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2406891 said:
As usual, Vela makes a lot of good points in his article.

I remember the game against the 49ers in November of '95-- what an arse whipping the Cowboys took!

I agree with Vela in that I think this team is going to go pass, pass, pass over the last half of the season. I don't think there will be much emphasis on the running game. The whole plan will be to score more than the defense gives up.

a la Sid Gilman, who's philosophy was passing to setup the run...And they will have to be able to run the ball against the NFC East or they won't make it...New England had the most vaunted aerial attack last year but could'nt stay balanced. We all know which NFC East team beat them.

The offensive line must hope that the return of Kosier will at least bring some consistency in performance...they ran into a similar problem last year...it depends on how effective Williams can be while learning a new offense and how Garrett utilizes Felix Jones...the defense is serviceable [with Phillips calling the plays] with the return of Spencer and Newman, as long as Romo remains upright and healthy down the stretch...but this is the same story as last year, so its no surprise their strategy for winning. As the offense goes so does the Cowboys.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I'd prefer to compare the present team to the 1970 or 1978 teams ... teams that were very inconsistent through mid-season but which put it together and went on a roll that ended in Super Bowl appearances.

Yes, they lost both of those Super Bowls, but in both cases seasons were salvaged that looked lost at mid-season.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2407097 said:
If the '95 Cowboys had any critical weaknesses, it was the linebacker position, whose play had declined precipitously from the previous season. The sudden drop off was baffling because the Cowboys returned precisely the same group of linebackers in '95 that they had fielded in '94. As the season wore on, they became progressively worse.

At corner, Larry Brown was an intelligent player who, unfortunately, lacked ideal speed for his position. Dallas was dominating Green Bay in the '95 Championship until Brett Favre hit Robert Brooks on a 70 yards TD pass with Larry Brown trailing badly in coverage. Late in the second half, the Packers had the opportunity to take a 2 score lead when Anthony Morgan beat Larry Brown on virtually the same play. Thankfully, Favre overthrew the ball.

At receiver, Cory Fleming may have been the worst third option I've ever seen. It seemed the 95 game at Philly--the infamous 4th and 1 debacle--was the last time Fleming ever played a substantial number of minutes for the Cowboys. He dropped an inordinate number of passes, including some crucial third down conversions. After the Philly game, if the Cowboys wanted to spread the field, they split out Moose and put in Deion.

You're recollection is dead on. The primary difference between the '94 and '95 defenses was not the players, it was the coaches, specifically the DC.

In '94 when both the O and D were nearly dominant, the DC was Butch Davis. In '95, the DC was Dave Campo.

Charles Haley stated in his book that Campo could not / would not adjust the defense against the Niners. He just kept telling Haley to "go out and play".

lonestar6

Reaction score
One thing I remember that year is being so thankful Green Bay took care of care of San Fransisco in the divisional round, because I had very little confidence that we would beat the 49ers after losing to them 3 straight times. The 49ers also had the inside track for homefield advantage throughout the playoffs until the final week when they inexplicably lost a close game to the Falcons. Lots of things certainly fell the Cowboys way that year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kramskoi;2407805 said:
a la Sid Gilman, who's philosophy was passing to setup the run...And they will have to be able to run the ball against the NFC East or they won't make it...New England had the most vaunted aerial attack last year but could'nt stay balanced. We all know which NFC East team beat them.

It wasn't the lack of balance that did New England in against the Giants... It was the poor pass protection.

And it's not like New England didn't have a solid opportunity to win that game.

This offense is going to have to score points-- and a lot of them.

It's not going to be about time-of-possession. It's going to be about putting points up on the board.