News: Vets versus upstarts: The most intriguing Cowboys camp battles

CCBoy

Reaction score
Vets versus upstarts: The most intriguing Cowboys camp battles
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...e-most-intriguing-dallas-cowboys-camp-battles

...Running back: Darius Jackson vs Mike Weber

This may be the most even competition going into camp as the two strive to be the third RB on the roster. There is a chance the team could go deep and carry both, but given the need for roster spots at other positions, it is hard to see the Cowboys carrying four running backs plus a fullback. Jackson failed to impress in his limited chances last year, but a strong showing in camp and preseason could move him back into the coaches’ good graces. He is also aided by the fact that Weber could probably make it through waivers to the practice squad, which means in a dead heat, Jackson might get the nod. Weber still has a great opportunity to make a convincing case for his retention. And they both should get plenty of snaps in preseason, because Ezekiel Elliott is going to be sitting on the sidelines for almost all of those reps, swathed in bubble wrap. Tony Pollard is envisioned to have a more expansive role, so while he may get some reps in a traditional RB function, most of those will probably go to Jackson and Weber...

Defensive end: Taco Charlton, Dorance Armstrong, and Soto Shakir vs Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks

Shakir looks like the odd man out right off the bat, although you never can tell what will happen. That leaves an interesting battle, because all four of the players who are likely battling for two spots are draft picks. Charlton and Armstrong represent more draft capital (a lot in Charlton’s case, obviously), but the fact Jackson and Jelks were also worth a draft spot may make the idea of moving on from one of the vets a bit more palatable. Jelks in particular has gotten some good reviews in OTAs, for what that is worth. The team is seen by many as going heavy on DL this season, especially in light of how that unit looked worn down by the latter part of 2018, but it still seems all but impossible for all four of the main contenders to make the 53. And if Randy Gregory should get reinstated (an admittedly rather big if), someone likely gets bumped to open his slot up. We know DeMarcus Lawrence will probably sit out most or all of camp and preseason while he recuperates from surgery. Charlton is recovering from two procedures himself, and that means there is the opportunity to game the system take a cautious approach by putting him on PUP and possibly IR. That would certainly give Armstrong, Jackson, and Jelks a lot of opportunities to prove what they can do.

One interesting twist to all this is how free agent Kerry Hyder will be used. There is a school of thought that he might be better as an end than in the interior of the line, so that is something that could complicate things further.

In any case, look for some strong efforts by those playing in preseason to stake a claim...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Can Randall Cobb still be a star wideout?
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/06/03/dallas-cowboys-randall-cobb-star/

...Where Prescott excels on the move, particularly in rollout situations, Cobb’s ability to shadow the quarterback as he did so often for Aaron Rodgers should make for a pretty impeccable connection between the two. Along with his mere versatility in all facets of the receiving game, he has a very uncanny ability or knack for knowing exactly where the goal line or first down sticks are, which makes him an ideal fit along with any offense and especially one with threats at all three levels.

Where Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup should do most of their damage on the third level of the defense and Jason Witten should still be able to fluently operate in the middle of the field on the second level, Cobb should be able to destroy defenses on the first level with underneath receptions. These factors should set up for Cobb to have somewhat of renaissance season with Dallas this year.

While injury, the emergence of younger players, and the bitter cold of playing outdoors at Lambeau may have spelled the end of his reign as a star player for the Green Bay Packers, Cobb should still have plenty left in the tank for the Cowboys...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should be some good TC competition. But I will go mostly with the vets at this point until seen otherwise.

But no way Jackson beats out Weber unless an injury. I have never been impressed with Jackson, though he did look a little better last year in TC.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Jackson vs Weber....I give the edge to Jackson due to potential on special teams. It is hard for a 3rd string RB to make any roster if he can't contribute on STs. I am one of the few fans here that doesn't think Weber even has a chance due to lack of ability but if comes down to the 2 of them I am more than sure that ability on STs will be one of the deciding factors.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jackson vs Weber....I give the edge to Jackson due to potential on special teams. It is hard for a 3rd string RB to make any roster if he can't contribute on STs. I am one of the few fans here that doesn't think Weber even has a chance due to lack of ability but if comes down to the 2 of them I am more than sure that ability on STs will be one of the deciding factors.

As a fan, it doesn't put in harms way, if a discerning eye is used...point made. I'll watch for comparisons...

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Who we should hope outperforms the other for the future of the team with that could realistically happen

Mike White > Rush
Weber and Pollard > Jackson
All RBs > Olawale
Wilson Guyton and Johnson > Hurns Cobb Tavon or Brown
Any TE beating out Witten to save $4.25M in CAP lol
Two of Fleming William's and Hyatt > Collins
Three of the DT spots being won by Hill Wise and Woods
Covington > JML or Thomas

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
...Running back: Darius Jackson vs Mike Weber
This may be the most even competition going into camp as the two strive to be the third RB on the roster. There is a chance the team could go deep and carry both, but given the need for roster spots at other positions, it is hard to see the Cowboys carrying four running backs plus a fullback.
There won't be a 3rd RB on the roster. Both of them cut on final cuts, along with Chunn. We sign 2 to the PS of whoever remains after the rest of the league has picked them over.

Pollard and Olawale can get us through a game. Call one up to the 53 from the PS if Zeke misses a game.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Who we should hope outperforms the other for the future of the team with that could realistically happen

All RBs > Olawale
We signed Olawale to an outsized contract, with a lot guaranteed. They want a FB, and they want him to be it.

Olawale has a role. Pollard has a role. Jackson, Weber, Chunn aren't in the same category. They're all interchangeable, expendable backups for Zeke. Nothing special. I expect this to be the model as long as a we have Zeke. Role player RBs on the roster, generic RBs as depth on the PS.

Possible that Pollard grows into a player who we'd treat like a full game backup for Zeke, or at least half time letting Olawale take the other half.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or Olawale serves as the 3rd RB with #4 inactive on game day. Then special teams ability does matter for the 4th RB.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Or Olawale serves as the 3rd RB with #4 inactive on game day. Then special teams ability does matter for the 4th RB.

Between Olawale and Pollard, we have a full RB to finish out a game if Zeke gets injured.

4th RB is on the PS along with the 5th. No need to carry one on the 53.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I you are the 4th option you need to be playing special teams. And if Olawale is considered the 3rd RB then Weber definitely is not making the team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I you are the 4th option you need to be playing special teams. And if Olawale is considered the 3rd RB then Weber definitely is not making the team.
Inactive players don't need to play special teams.

Note: When I reference 4th RB below, I'm including the FB as part of the RB group.

Leaving Weber himself out of the conversation for a moment, it's possible that a 4th RB on game day is actually the 2nd RB on the depth chart (i.e. If Zeke missed a game, the 4th RB might replace Zeke with Pollard/Olawale continuing their role).

Consider an example of this concept with regards to TE. If during Witten's peak when he was playing 100% of the snaps, the Cowboy had a receiving TE and blocking TE as the 2nd and 3rd TEs. The blocking TE would get the game day #2 TE snaps; however, if Witten missed a game, the receiving TE would be the starter.

With regards to Weber specifically, I have no idea if he'll make the team; however, if they carry a 4th RB it's highly likely that player is inactive on game day.