News: Vets versus upstarts: The most intriguing Cowboys camp battles

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Inactive players don't need to play special teams.

Note: When I reference 4th RB below, I'm including the FB as part of the RB group.

Leaving Weber himself out of the conversation for a moment, it's possible that a 4th RB on game day is actually the 2nd RB on the depth chart (i.e. If Zeke missed a game, the 4th RB might replace Zeke with Pollard/Olawale continuing their role).

Consider an example of this concept with regards to TE. If during Witten's peak when he was playing 100% of the snaps, the Cowboy had a receiving TE and blocking TE as the 2nd and 3rd TEs. The blocking TE would get the game day #2 TE snaps; however, if Witten missed a game, the receiving TE would be the starter.

With regards to Weber specifically, I have no idea if he'll make the team; however, if they carry a 4th RB it's highly likely that player is inactive on game day.
Inactive or not if you are that far down the roster and you cant play special teams you will not be on the team for long.....Weber will not make the team...IMO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, if they think Weber has legit upside as a Running Back, then his Special Teams ability (as a rookie) won't really be the decision criteria.

It's highly likely that the game day RBs are Zeke, Pollard and Olawale regardless of whether another RB makes the 53 man roster.

I know the media and commentators will constantly ramble on about players needing to play special teams to make the roster; however, teams keep some players for developmental purposes and don't plan to make those players active on game day unless another player at the position will miss a complete game.

In the specific case of Weber, Olawale has ST ability and Pollard projects to play special teams; therefore, if Zeke missed a game and Weber was active, they still have 2 ST RBs in Pollard and Olawale in either situation.

If Weber makes the team as a developmental player, then they'll expect him to learn Special Teams over time, but his ability on Special Teams as a rookie on cut day is unlikely to be a big factor due to him being the 4th RB.

Weber will be the 4th RB even if he looks better as rushing than Pollard because they'll going to use Pollard as a multi-dimension player (runner, receiver, blocker) because that's what he did in college.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Why is it not taco and Armstrong vs dlaw and Quinn

You listed the wrong battle