Video: Video Breakdown of Offensive Struggles

khiladi

Reaction score
The screen pass in the Skins gahe at 1:45 is the one I referenced in regards to the Lamb one this week. It was horrible thrown, way too hard for a screen, meaning rusher and at the upper left shoulder of the WR.

There was plenty of room their for a significant gain, but the throw was garbage.

On the next play they show with Gallup, critics of Gallup were saying he slowed up on the route across the middle, but even looking at the pass, Dak threw it on the outside of Gallup. This was despite the fact the whole team thought run, the only one that went pass was Dak.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There’s nothing wrong with this offense right now. very basic football and we’re winning. Three Road wins. We’ve beat five teams that are in the playoffs right now. We’re letting the defense have fun. The Offense will come to life when it’s time. I believe we’re playing very smart football.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The screen pass in the Skins gahe at 1:45 is the one I referenced in regards to the Lamb one this week. It was horrible thrown, way too hard for a screen, meaning rusher and at the upper left shoulder of the WR.

There was plenty of room their for a significant gain, but the throw was garbage.
Oh poor CeeDee lamb the pass was too hard lol did you actually believe and just say that. Yeah let’s just lob the ball so we can get freaking intercepted that would be so much better. You got a listen to yourself it’s comical

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

On the next play they show with Gallup, critics of Gallup were saying he slowed up on the route across the middle, but even looking at the pass, Dak threw it on the outside of Gallup. This was despite the fact the whole team thought run, the only one that went pass was Dak.
And who’s fault was that. The Offensiveline knew what was happening. Just Gallup didn’t. It’s OK negative Nancy. We know who you are

khiladi

Reaction score
100% disagree with Akoye’s criticism on the fourth play. In reality, the play call is perfect on the two-man route, along with the protection. His first progression on the right side is in man coverage and WIDE OPEN, running a basic post route. The fact that there are only two reads for Dak makes it even more inexcusable because of how easy it is as a QB to read.

Dak basically panics snd looks to Amari, because he gets scared of the throw even though the WR had clear inside leverage. Not sure if he bailed because of Washington LB, 55 in the middle of the field who had no chance to even make a play on the right side post route if Dak threw it. JUST FREEZE FRAME at 3:25 to get the aerial front side view of why Dak even pulls back. Before you do that, look at 3:18 at the top, meaning the PRIMARY READ of Dak. For him to pull back on that is completely unjustifiable.

Its a clear example of DAK BEiNG THE ISSUE here, not the “Linehan” play call or Moore.

That was a HUGE GAIN if not TD if Dak makes the throw, because there is one deep safety, that I didn’t pay too much attention to, but he was already shifting to the opposite side to Amari.

Last edited:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Oh poor CeeDee lamb the pass was too hard lol did you actually believe and just say that
I'll tell you what I just witnessed from rewatching the NYGs game right now.

Dallas had 11 possessions - 1 was Dallas clocking it to end the game
6 of those possessions ended due to the offensive line protection issues -
2 were touch downs
3 were field goals

Out of the 6, Dak made one mistake causing a sack fumble by stopping to throw it.

1st possession - Dak's arm was hit while trying to throw to Cooper who was open, ball incomplete: END OF DRIVE
2nd possession - TD to Zeke
3rd possession - Draw to Zeke on 3rd down from the 11 - Field goal
4th possession - No one blocked the DEs, Dak sacked immediately. Field goal
5th possession - Dak passes to Schultz to the 9 yd line, MM lets clock wind down to 3 seconds - Field goal
6th possession - 3rd and 5 on the 44 - deep pass under thrown - DE pushed Collins nearly into Dak so he couldn't step into the throw
7th possession - TD to Schultz
8th possession - 3rd and 11 - check down to Schultz for 6 leaving 4th down
9th possession - Dak's mistake on this - a DE was not block causing Dak to escape right, he stopped and was hit from behind - fumble
10th possession - 1st read covered up, went to second read a guy came free at Dak, Dak throws it away - Safe to throw it away - end of drive
11th possession - Clocked

What I gathered from this is that Dak made 3 mistakes that caused drives to stall but made some awesome throws, but their possessions stalled due mostly to offensive line mishaps. And those mishaps came from
guess whom? The Tackles

khiladi

Reaction score
As for the sixth play, the “beam me up Scottie play”, how are you going to say there is nobody to throw to?

Pause at 4:22 and look at the WR who was the only guy lined up on the right side, the RB running out to the flat as a checkdown. It’s a cover 2 look and the WR looks to be OPEN, if not wide open zone, but Dak is too slow to make the read or too scared to throw it. Abd with his checkdown covered he bails from the pocket to the left and runs out of bounds.

“Getting through your progressions” doesn’t mean “I can’t throw the ball, because nobody was open”.

This seems to be just another example of Dak refusing to challenge clear cover 2 zone coverage.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with this offense right now. very basic football and we’re winning. Three Road wins. We’ve beat five teams that are in the playoffs right now. We’re letting the defense have fun. The Offense will come to life when it’s time. I believe we’re playing very smart football.
Are you one of the posters that thinks we're playing bad on purpose and saving everything for the playoffs? lol

khiladi

Reaction score
As far as 6:20, “is man route”.. Dak’s primary read is the WR on bottom. He’s staring at him for more than 3 seconds. There is PLENTY OF TIME. I mean he is even getting ready to throw to him with the hitch at 6:18, but he’s not open, meaning the one-read system QB is staring his primary read down. The guy refused to move away from his covered progression and his throw is late to Lamb in the zone, despite it being completely horrible throw. Pause at 6:19 and you already see Lamb running wide open with the deep crossing route. All Dak has to do is anticipate and fit it in the zone, but as usual, his anticipation is off, which leads to a completely inaccurate throw and garbage INT. You see BAD QBs make throws like this all the time.

So when you say “I realize it’s coming from a Dak that’s not comfortable”, I’m not sure how that absolves Dak from the original criticisms. You can be uncomfortable for many reason, justified or unjustified. And that’s always been the criticism of Dak, meaning it’s justified, because the guy feels non-existent pressure or it’s just that’s he very slow processing the field.

BermyStar

Reaction score
Oh poor CeeDee lamb the pass was too hard lol did you actually believe and just say that. Yeah let’s just lob the ball so we can get freaking intercepted that would be so much better. You got a listen to yourself it’s comical
He dropped those on Sunday too. No excuse CeeDee never packed his hands for the flight to Jersey.

khiladi

Reaction score
Basically when you say things like Dak can make plays if you get him “quick looks” at 7:08-7:20, that’s exactly what we are talking about.

Basically this implies that Dak isn’t a progression QB and needs Moore to scheme for him to get a receiver open on his first or second reads. And even then, you clearly see how inconsistent and downright awful he is at times.

It’s not a redeeming quality, no matter how you try and spin this as a positive. In reality, you can say the OC is bring hamstrung by a QB, who is completely dependent on the system. You know, OCs can be hamstrung by the QB and maybe that is why he’s using quick hits for Dak against these zone looks, because every time he dials up a play that requires good QB play, Dak takes the checkdown, There is a reason Linehan and now Moore have completely eliminated the traditional 5-7 step drop from a system that was heavily reliant on it. It’s unacceptable and completely bogus to pretend like the coaching hasn’t baby-sat this QB for years and done everything to try and make him succeed.

This is FAR from a Garrett offense period.. Dak has never played in a Garrett offense, like a Daniel Jones, let alone Romo.

Dak has pretty much peaked period.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score

You mean you are supposed to not only throw up and BEHIND the WR on what should be an easy screen pass where accuracy isn’t supposed to be an issue for a bum NFL QB, let alone one getting paid 40 million dollars a year, you are supposed to rocket it as well from 5 yards out?

That’s why it doesn’t surprise me the automatic default for Dak-stans was that Lamb was also to blame on the low and behind screen pass that Dak threw to him against the Giants, meaning the second week in a row he throws a garbage screen pass.. but I’m still waiting for video the confirm or deny my original impression, because unlike PR podium CeeDee, Lamb after the pass actually looked mad at Dak for the throw..

morasp

Reaction score
I'll tell you what I just witnessed from rewatching the NYGs game right now.

Dallas had 11 possessions - 1 was Dallas clocking it to end the game
6 of those possessions ended due to the offensive line protection issues -
2 were touch downs
3 were field goals

Out of the 6, Dak made one mistake causing a sack fumble by stopping to throw it.

1st possession - Dak's arm was hit while trying to throw to Cooper who was open, ball incomplete: END OF DRIVE
2nd possession - TD to Zeke
3rd possession - Draw to Zeke on 3rd down from the 11 - Field goal
4th possession - No one blocked the DEs, Dak sacked immediately. Field goal
5th possession - Dak passes to Schultz to the 9 yd line, MM lets clock wind down to 3 seconds - Field goal
6th possession - 3rd and 5 on the 44 - deep pass under thrown - DE pushed Collins nearly into Dak so he couldn't step into the throw
7th possession - TD to Schultz
8th possession - 3rd and 11 - check down to Schultz for 6 leaving 4th down
9th possession - Dak's mistake on this - a DE was not block causing Dak to escape right, he stopped and was hit from behind - fumble
10th possession - 1st read covered up, went to second read a guy came free at Dak, Dak throws it away - Safe to throw it away - end of drive
11th possession - Clocked

What I gathered from this is that Dak made 3 mistakes that caused drives to stall but made some awesome throws, but their possessions stalled due mostly to offensive line mishaps. And those mishaps came from
guess whom? The Tackles
The lost fumble was Dak's biggest mistake. In the playoffs I would rather have a punt than a turnover.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You mean you are supposed to not only throw up and BEHIND the WR on what should be an easy screen pass where accuracy isn’t supposed to be an issue for a bum NFL QB, let alone one getting paid 40 million dollars a year, you are supposed to rocket it as well from 5 yards out?

That’s why it doesn’t surprise me the automatic default for Dak-stans was that Lamb was also to blame on the low and behind screen pass that Dak threw to him against the Giants, meaning the second week in a row he throws a garbage screen pass.. but I’m still waiting for video the confirm or deny my original impression, because unlike PR podium CeeDee, Lamb after the pass actually looked mad at Dak for the throw..
Or he was mad at himself for dropping three passes.

khiladi

Reaction score
7:55, once again Dak is looking completely to the right side of the field, not going through his progression. Amari is on the left and is running a shallow crossing route.

Amari, to get to this spot, motions from the left and look who is following him from the defense… I mean that’s most likely that defenses responsibility, meaning if indicates man coverage.

How can anybody blame scheming there, when the pre-snap is telling you from the go, that Amari is going to be open on the route?

So are you going to blame Amari for disappearing on this one?

So they did “attack the middle of the field there”, it’s just Dak didn’t follow through himself..

khiladi

Reaction score
Or he was mad at himself for dropping three passes.

That was the “first drop”, so unless he has the power of seeing the future (though he should be able to accurately gage that on 70% of the throws Dak makes, they’ll be way off target), probably not…

khiladi

Reaction score
So now we are complaining about the routes we are running in 8:36, meaning they deep passes on basic go routes, that’s allowed Dak to pad his stats for years, because of excellent blocking? Now it’s a problem when Dak doesn’t have ten seconds to throw?

In actuality, it’s completely bogus once again, because the first read that Dak is looking at is running a post route and has man coverage. It’s comparable to the “two WRs” play at around 3:19 o spoke about earlier where he refused to throw it, unless he sees the WR COMPLETELY OPEN. If he anticipated the WR that’s an easy 7. In fact, the deep safety isn’t even anticipate the post, he’s playing the go route, meaning he overplays the actual call.

That’s the type of throw you see elite QBs like Aaron Rodgers make regularly.

It’s again an example of a QB that can’t anticipate and is slow processing the field and needs to see his WRs wide open, unless he’s throwing the first read go route.

That’s also the type of throw you’ve been see Dak deliver late to his WRs for years, often leading to the passes being behind the WRs.

khiladi

Reaction score
I mean 9:50 he basically talks out of both sides of his mouth. He admits it’s zone snd the reason why they ran the button hooks, but then says “why didn’t we run rub route”, while he marks all the WRs.

And the irony is Amari is WIDE OPEN in the zone on the bottom. So instead of asking why aren’t we running run routes, why not ask yourself why isn’t Dak throwing it to wide open guys when we run “button hooks”?

If the play gets the WRs open, the QB should be throwing to him period. You don’t use an example of a play call that actually works, but the QB takes the ‘easy throw’ to complain about “lack of variety” in the play calling.

But that’s not even the kicker, I just mentioned Amari to make a point. If you actually look at the SECOND read, meaning the side Dak is looking at, Lamb runs underneath the receiver, maybe TE Shultz, taking the DB of Schultz with him, meaning the LB drops a little bit to zone, while the original defense take Lamb. And all this is happening in Dak’s field of vision.

Dak stares down Lamb and takes the easy checkdown, while his TE Schultz is wide open again in the zone. If you pause at 9:45 it’s as clear as day and the reads are designed in the very field of vision of the stare down QB.

So how are you going to blame the play calling? It’s not even a route, like Amari’s that is farther down the tree.

75boyz

Reaction score
Different levels of understanding.
Some have actually played the game.
Others have coached the game.
Others have both played and coached the game.

While some need someone to sit beside them on Sundays to explain to them what they're watching

It's not really hard to follow the posts and figure out who is who.

jmo