Vita Vea. Trade up?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I believe in quality not quantity. Give me two or three of the best players in this draft and you can have the rest.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know, it's really funny. I've been talking Football with my Son since he was about, well, since he was I guess. Now, in the early years, he didn't really talk back much but he's gotten a lot better at that part.

Anyway, thats been a few years now. The other day, we were talking about this very thing. Both he and I like Vea. He asked me the same thing. I told him that I didn't think it was really even worth discussing. I mean, I think this is the way for us to go and maybe the introduction of Richard helps with this but, I just don't see it. Vea is not what we ever look at in this scheme. I think Hurst is what we look for at DT and I doubt that we would move up and spend that kind of capitol to take Vea. Especially if Hurst is still on the board and I see no reason why he would not be. There are a good 8 or 10 DTs that could go in the first 3 rounds. I would love to get that guy but honestly, I just don't see it.
Yep. :thumbup:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
We'll see after the Combine, but I think someone on here said a 3rd rounder would get us from #19 to #16, and a second rounder would get us to #11. More than likely, Vea would cost us a second.

With Payne and/or Hurst likely to be there at #19, and a whole host of good stuffer NT types in the second and third rounds (Derrick Nnadi, Tim Settle, etc), I don't see the value in giving up a extra second for Vea.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
We'll see after the Combine, but I think someone on here said a 3rd rounder would get us from #19 to #16, and a second rounder would get us to #11. More than likely, Vea would cost us a second.

With Payne and/or Hurst likely to be there at #19, and a whole host of good stuffer NT types in the second and third rounds (Derrick Nnadi, Tim Settle, etc), I don't see the value in giving up a extra second for Vea.
Deadrick Senat

marius

Reaction score
I say yes, it does not necessarily have to be a second selection this year, but one of 2019, Vea is the player we need, all the rest of the necessary positions, can be updated through free agency. a Vita Vea type player not is in free agency

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Honestly, I might look into Aaron Donald. I am not certain what the Rams might be able to do on his contract but I think he is an UFA next year. I might offer them our 1st round pick for Donald. I don't know if they would go for it but if they would, that would instantly make our Defensive Line a real factor.

JMO

Big_D

Reaction score
What would be funny is if he's sitting there at 19 and the Cowboys go WR.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Unless its for a QB, i wouldn't want to see a 1st round trade up thats bigger then 2 or 3 spots to get a player. Way to expensive to trade up in the 1st. Im a fan of trading up on day 2 and the 4th round tho.

Aven8

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone heard Marcus Spears on the espn today but he said, and Jean Jacque agreed, that they won't use a 1st rounder on a 1T player since he's only a 2 down player in this defense. 19 is too high for a 2 down player. They didn't even blink.

If that's really the case I'm tired of this crap. I like Marinelli a lot, but this has to change as he won't be here forever.

CapnB

Reaction score
If there was a year to trade draft picks to move up in the draft for a player like Vita Vea this would be it. We'll have two 4th round picks and two 5th picks ..... I'm sure a third and one of the 4ths would be enough to get him. Remember, its not like we would be trying to get in the top 5 or even top 10.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I'd be more inclined to trade up if he was there a bit closer to 19, 10-13 would cost too much...

Soonerman1

Reaction score
Only if he got within a couple picks of us would i weigh the price. If he goes early I'm hoping Payne is there. If not, I go some other position (OL most likely) or trade down & try to target Settle or another NT in a later round.
Funny!! If old man Jerry hadn’t demanded we win the last (meaningless game) we would be at 16, I’ve seen a few mocks that fell #16, Ridley to Raven, #17) Vea to Chargers and 18) James FSU strong safety to Seahawks. If the draft actually fell that way I would drive to Mr Jones homes and egg and toilet paper it!!!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Funny!! If old man Jerry hadn’t demanded we win the last (meaningless game) we would be at 16, I’ve seen a few mocks that fell #16, Ridley to Raven, #17) Vea to Chargers and 18) James FSU strong safety to Seahawks. If the draft actually fell that way I would drive to Mr Jones homes and egg and toilet paper it!!!
That win is certainly expensive, isn't it?