Wade's Attacking Defense Not Big On Attacking.

Reaction score
I keep waiting for this aggressive 3-4 defense the Wade Phillips is so famous for to show its grizzly face, but so far, it's more like a Grizzly Cub. I look at the Titans, Steelers, Commanders, Eagles, etc., and I see defenses who can just overwhelm an offense for large segments of a game at a time. This Cowboys' defense reminds me more of one that plays not to screw up, than one that plays to reek havoc & chaos on an opponent.

It's not like we don't have the talent to go after people. I know TNew's been hurting this year, and that he and Henry have been in & out of the trainer's room so often, they have ice tubs with their names on them. This year, however, we have more backup than in years' past. With Adam "I'm still rusty" Jones, Mike "I play like a rookie just off the turnip truck" Jenkins, and Orlando "I should have been taken in the 2nd rd." Scandrick, we still have much better backup than a year ago.

Just look at the Miami Dolphins. They have several Dallas castoffs who are playing championship-type ball. Adele, Ferguson, and Co. have had the chains taken off, and they put it to both AFC Championship Game opponents New England & San Diego in back-to-back games. I'm not talking about squeezing out two wins. I'm talking about smash mouth, in your face, just kicked your ***, NFL football!!

Now, I may be stretching it here, but I would go way out on a limb & say that the Cowboys have at least the talent of the Dolphins' defense. If they can b-slap the piss out of two of the best offenses in all of football, I think we can do a better job than to get two sacks on one of the worst offenses in the NFL at the end of the game, and the Bengals hopelessly behind. In fact, if it weren't for having the luxery of a full 60 minutes, DeMarcus Ware would be lucky to have two sacks this year. Not that he hasn't been trying, but that he hasn't had the complimentary help, save Jay Ratliff, or a creative scheme that might just add a little surprise to our vanilla attack.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cogan, how many times have we blitzed? What's the league average?

How many plays have we used man vs. zone coverage? What's the league average?

Any idea?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
This is the same defense Wade was playing in San Diego, and it's getting basically the same results.

Lots of Cowboys fans were begging for it when we had Parcells' defense, and now that we have it, they seem to want something different.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
utrunner07;2314249 said:
No, it is not, go back and watch a few of SD's games.

If Adam said that ...... you can bet he already has.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
I agree that we don't seem to have the exotic blitz packages like PIT or PHI, but honestly, I don't remember Wade's previous defenses being as such. I think back to the Chargers and Broncos and while they did bring some heat, it was nothing like the Steelers, Pats, or Eagles dial up. I think the personnel needs to actually MAKE PLAYS instead of complaining about the scheme. Think of how many picks and sacks we've missed out on for whatever reason! Think of how many potential fumbles we've had bounce luckily back to the opposing offense (shoot, we've had a few ourselves)! I think it's truly been a game of inches that has us criticizing instead of praising this defense...

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
theogt;2314230 said:
how many times have we blitzed? What's the league average?
si.com doesn't have the numbers for week 5 up yet, but this is how many times they say we've blitzed in each of the first 4 games...
at CLE: 17
PHI: 15
at GB: 12
WAS: 13

League average will take a little longer.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
utrunner07;2314249 said:
2005 Chargers (Wade's 2nd season)

35 Pass attempts per game
6.9 Yards per attempt passing
84.7 QB rating
224.9 passing yards per game
3.5 yards per carry rushing
24 carries per game

2008 Cowboys (Wade's 2nd season)

34 Pass attempts per game
6.7 Yards per attempt passing
88.7 QB rating
210.2 passing yards per game
3.9 Yards per carry rushing
24 carries per game

It's almost scary it's so similar.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
theogt;2314281 said:

84.7 QB rating
24 carries per game

34 Attempts per game
88.7 QB rating
24 carries per game

That's TOO similar. Indeed scary.

utrunner07

Reaction score
zrinkill;2314256 said:
If Adam said that ...... you can bet he already has.

IN 2006 SD had 61 sacks allowed 492 points and had 16 interceptions.

We are on pace for 44 sacks, 512 pts. and 3 ints.

Not as bad as I thought....

I can see this D stepping it up, all though in the turnover department we are pathetic, we have the talent, but Im not sure they have the meanness or the attitude.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2314239 said:
This is the same defense Wade was playing in San Diego, and it's getting basically the same results.

Lots of Cowboys fans were begging for it when we had Parcells' defense, and now that we have it, they seem to want something different.

I never wanted Wades defense I was hoping more towards a Rex Ryan type defense. The Buddy Ryan tree branch myself maybe someone that learned under fisher etc. I wanted a Baltimore type defense where they get after it and take it to people.

The other option was more along the lines of Pittsburgh they bring it to and it seems to work well.

The problem was the choice of Head Coaches Jerry had lined up where Norv or Wade and the best option out of those two was Wade because Norv is just not a good headcoach.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Kangaroo;2314299 said:
I never wanted Wades defense I was hoping more towards a Rex Ryan type defense. The Buddy Ryan tree branch myself maybe someone that learned under fisher etc. I wanted a Baltimore type defense where they get after it and take it to people.

The other option was more along the lines of Pittsburgh they bring it to and it seems to work well.

The problem was the choice of Head Coaches Jerry had lined up where Norv or Wade and the best option out of those two was Wade because Norv is just not a good headcoach.
Rex Ryan was my other choice. Not a chance in hell, though.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
utrunner07;2314249 said:

Did you ever watch their games, or just some ESPN highlights of Merriman doing his little dance after a coverage sack?

From 2004-2006, the Chargers' defense allowed 315.3 yards per game. We've allowed 307.0 with Wade. They averaged 2.83 sacks per game. We've averaged 2.86. They allowed 3.8 yards per rush. We've allowed 3.95. They allowed 5.72 yards per pass. We've allowed 5.57.

His best defense in San Diego was in 2006, but that defense still ranked only 23rd in yards allowed and 20th in passing yards allowed.

This is how Wade's defense plays. Get used to it.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I guess I misunderstood what Wade's D actually was before coming here

cuz I am not impressed by it

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
utrunner07;2314298 said:
IN 2006 SD had 61 sacks allowed 492 points and had 16 interceptions.

We are on pace for 44 sacks, 512 pts. and 3 ints.

Not as bad as I thought....

I can see this D stepping it up, all though in the turnover department we are pathetic, we have the talent, but Im not sure they have the meanness or the attitude.
I disagree. I blame it on bad breaks & sub-par play. I'll say it again, how many picks have we dropped this season? How many fumbles did we lose back to the opposing offenses? How many sacks have qbs miraculously escaped? Our players just need to make plays and I don't think it's lack of "passion or attitude" that caused these near-misses the past 5 games...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
utrunner07;2314249 said:

theogt;2314281 said:

84.7 QB rating
24 carries per game

34 Pass attempts per game
88.7 QB rating
24 carries per game

AdamJT13;2314305 said:
Did you ever watch their games, or just some ESPN highlights of Merriman doing his little dance after a coverage sack?

From 2004-2006, the Chargers' defense allowed 315.3 yards per game. We've allowed 307.0 with Wade. They averaged 2.83 sacks per game. We've averaged 2.86. They allowed 3.8 yards per rush. We've allowed 3.95. They allowed 5.72 yards per pass. We've allowed 5.57.

His best defense in San Diego was in 2006, but that defense still ranked only 23rd in yards allowed and 20th in passing yards allowed.

This is how Wade's defense plays. Get used to it.
shipment-of-fail.jpg

Nexx

Reaction score
we send brady and zack at least a few times a game... have you seen either one sniff a QB yet?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2314312 said:
I guess I misunderstood what Wade's D actually was before coming here

cuz I am not impressed by it

NFL teams gameplan for us to ya know?

17-4 record for Wade - My issue is more expectations on D maybe. I was expecting team to step up and be dominant but has not done so. But all in all I don't think some here would be happy if it was 16-0.:laugh1:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Less than 2 years ago, this defense was arguably the worst in the NFL. Now it's dominance or fire the coach. Go figure.