Wade's Soft zone "D"

D1G

Reaction score
Wade says he plays a zone to prevent the big play. Problem is, it doesn't work. WE STILL GIVE UP THE BIG PLAY!!!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure we've given up the least amount of "Big plays" in the NFL.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd like to see some stats to see exactly where we stand. Adam? Anyone?

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
In passes over twenty yards we have allowed 7 which is ties us for fourth best, but we have allowed three over forty which ties us for twenty third. The worst teams have four each for over forty. The Ravens and the Bengals have allowed 5 over twenty for the best in the over twenty category. The Saints are the worst in the twenty range allowing 17 passes over twenty. Those stats are from NFL.com.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
D1G;2306258 said:
Wade says he plays a zone to prevent the big play. Problem is, it doesn't work. WE STILL GIVE UP THE BIG PLAY!!!

Its not that...

Rack;2306342 said:
Not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure we've given up the least amount of "Big plays" in the NFL.

You see... thats the thing... we dont really give up the big play... we let teams get new life(new set of downs too easily).... they extend their drives and our defense pays for it.

It wasnt long ago when we gave up alot of Big plays.... it seems the organization is scarred by it and wont be aggressive.

I cant put my finger on it.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
At least one big play per game, and usually at the worst possible time, leading to a score. With the amount of money we are paying in the secondary, it is unaccpetable. Whether you blame the coaches or the players, it is unaceptable.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
D1G;2306258 said:
What does it matter if they hit the big play and score. or if they they throw short passes down the field and score on your soft zone? i think it makes things worse, because it keeps our offense off the field.the defensive scheme sucks.PERIOD!

31hammer

Reaction score
No big plays. Who cares all those dinks and dunks are killing us. No big plays how about no int's. I am tired of our CB's allowing a WR to run pass them into another "Zone" only to have no defender in that "zone" to pick up the WR. all the corners appear as though they are uncomfortable. We have such incredible depth and skill at CB we could play man. Why don't the Boys attack other teams with our talent Zone seams passive to me. Could the reason be the coaches are not entirely confident in Henry(age) Jones(rust) Jenkins (experience) Newman(Health)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
31hammer;2306429 said:
No big plays. Who cares all those dinks and dunks are killing us. No big plays how about no int's. I am tired of our CB's allowing a WR to run pass them into another "Zone" only to have no defender in that "zone" to pick up the WR. all the corners appear as though they are uncomfortable. We have such incredible depth and skill at CB we could play man. Why don't the Boys attack other teams with our talent Zone seams passive to me. Could the reason be the coaches are not entirely confident in Henry(age) Jones(rust) Jenkins (experience) Newman(Health)

That's what I've been saying. Real or not that's what you have to assume.

Boysboy

Reaction score
jobberone;2306436 said:
That's what I've been saying. Real or not that's what you have to assume.

I'm glad the Zoners here who are complaining about Wade's schemes AREN'T coaching this team. *ugh* now THAT would be a disaster!

31hammer

Reaction score
Boysboy;2306438 said:
I'm glad the Zoners here who are complaining about Wade's schemes AREN'T coaching this team. *ugh* now THAT would be a disaster!

What do you mean by that. Would playing man sink this team. I think they could do it. Zone is extending drives against us. Which is causing our defense to tire and break down hence the Washington game. If we can't run the ball and control the clock. Other teams know that they will be able to extend drives by moving the chains against our bend but don't break secondary

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Rack;2306342 said:

That would be very surprising if true.

We've given up a 100 yard receiver in every game we've played except the opener.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Id rather give up a few big plays here and there then let teams nickle and dime us to death while eating the clock and keeping our offense on the sidelines.

Lets play some football, good defenses knock people in the mouth. It amazes me that we havent seen more of the strategy we used vs Indy a couple of years back, that was by far the best performance I have seen from our guys. The closest thing we saw to that was vs GB last year when we went after Favre. It is pretty telling how we called the dogs off and Rodgers was able to get them back into the game.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2306534 said:
Go Cowboys!

Dude, come on can you at least spit something relevant to the threat?

You dont have to jack up your post count that way.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2306556 said:
Dude, come on can you at least spit something relevant to the threat?

You dont have to jack up your post count that way.
:laugh2: ...

go Cowboys:D

ladiewolve

Reaction score
Doomsday;2306501 said:
Id rather give up a few big plays here and there then let teams nickle and dime us to death while eating the clock and keeping our offense on the sidelines.

Lets play some football, good defenses knock people in the mouth. It amazes me that we havent seen more of the strategy we used vs Indy a couple of years back, that was by far the best performance I have seen from our guys. The closest thing we saw to that was vs GB last year when we went after Favre. It is pretty telling how we called the dogs off and Rodgers was able to get them back into the game.

I agree , the clock eating killed us.:bang2:

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I think Adam needs his own spotlight like the one Batman had.

Very true, as much as I loathe playing soft, you can't take away how good we've been in the redzone and how playing that way makes the other team chew up the clock themselves when playing behind, and they can't do anything about it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
With this group of corners we should take our chances on giving up the big play.

These corners should win their 1 on 1 battles.