Walterfootball 2015 Draft 1st round re-grade: Cowboys made best pick

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by beware_d-ware, Feb 14, 2020 at 11:08 PM.

1. beware_d-ware

beware_d-ware Well-Known Member

4,094 Messages
    5,057 Likes Received
    http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades2015.php

A fun 5-year review on the 2015 draft. Looking back on it, this draft was absolutely pathetic, but the Cowboys ended up with the best pick of anyone with the only A+ Walt gave out. Normally I'm not a WF reader, as Walt is a Philly resident and is generally as terrible of a human being and as big of a Cowboys hater as you'd expect from reading that. But this "where are they now" review is pretty good, and his analysis this time around seems fair.

It's not crazy to say that we ended up with the 2 best players out of that whole first round with Jones + Cooper either.

[​IMG] Dallas Cowboys: Byron Jones, CB, Connecticut: B+ Grade
    Five-Year Grade: A+ Grade

The 2015 NFL Draft class had a dismal first round. I've given out many deserved "F" grades. Byron Jones, however, is an oasis in a desert of putrid draft selections. He's been a spectacular player for the Cowboys, as he's even been recognized as one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL. This deserves a very clear A+ grade.

Original Write-up:

So much for the Cowboys picking Randy Gregory. Byron Jones makes a ton of sense. I had him going 20th overall to the Eagles, which I thought was a slight reach, so the 27th slot seems like the right area for him. He also fills a big need. Morris Claiborne has struggled, while Brandon Carr is overpaid. The Cowboys were desperate for corner help, and they landed an extremely athletic player as a probable upgrade.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 11:26 PM
    GMO415, dogberry, Londonboy and 5 others like this.
  2. SportsGuru80

SportsGuru80 CowboysYanksLakers

7,967 Messages
    3,914 Likes Received
    My problem with Jones is the lack of INTs... They should have left him at corner from the jump and allowed him to develop even more.

NorthTexan95 likes this.
  3. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

10,756 Messages
    17,196 Likes Received
    QBs rarely challenged Jones..
    Thats the main reason for lack of interceptions
    He's a very good cover corner

4. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

8,758 Messages
    14,939 Likes Received
    Little of topic here but this is by far the worst draft/football web site I've seen. Not the content, that's great, but advertisement and pop-ups make the web pages unbearable .....pain in the butt. What kinda funny is Cherepinsky has some serious skin on the wall. He/his site has been around a while. You'd think he could afford to grade......

conner01 and Avery like this.
  5. ElGatoGrande

ElGatoGrande EGG

7,752 Messages
    4,538 Likes Received
    Ugh, Claiborne. What a painful memory.

Seven, Buzzbait and Creeper like this.
  6. SeanLee50

SeanLee50 Well-Known Member

14,409 Messages
    22,847 Likes Received
    Amazing isn’t it? Jones had 8 picks on four seasons at UConn.

7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

30,198 Messages
    12,942 Likes Received
    This is a team issue though. The blame should be on the coaching staff because nobody has gotten INTs for years upon years.

DeathMonkey, Techsass, Cebrin and 5 others like this.
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

40,958 Messages
    18,665 Likes Received
    Too bad we can't keep everyone. I think Byron Jones is EXTREMELY underrated. And when he leaves, we're going to see his interception totals increase. Let's be honest: for the past several years, the Cowboys defense hasn't been able to generate consistent turnovers. That just aint a Byron Jones problem.

But let him walk. He won't stay on the free agent market for long. And, interestingly, you never hear a peep of scandal or negativity associated with his name, other than he doesn't have enough interceptions. He comes to play every game, keeps his nose clean and keeps his namesout of the celebrity rags.

We need more Byron Joneses and fewer Zeke Elliotts.

9. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

40,958 Messages
    18,665 Likes Received
    You noticed too!
    :hammer:

Thank you.

10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Moderator

77,995 Messages
    48,892 Likes Received
    Is that true?

Let me look it up....

[​IMG]

Yep it's true!

11. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

18,483 Messages
    15,132 Likes Received
    Byron is not a ballhawk. He'll swat the ball down all day long and QBs know this. This just encourages QBs to try to fit the ball in small windows knowing the worst thing that will happen is an incompletion.

Manster_Mash and Hawkeye0202 like this.
  12. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

8,758 Messages
    14,939 Likes Received
    +1 ....Troy pretty said the same thing. The flip side is yes he lacks interceptions but he doesn't allow a lot of completion.

Bullflop, Kaiser and JoeKing like this.
  13. ondaedg

ondaedg Well-Known Member

1,170 Messages
    1,306 Likes Received
    Has nothing to do with volume. He covers with his back to the qb playing the WR's eyes and movements. He sacrifices INTs for coverage.

dogberry likes this.
  14. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod ♡☆

19,460 Messages
    45,363 Likes Received
    ....and too fat. :muttley:

15. USArmyVet

USArmyVet Well-Known Member

122 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    While Jones having only 2 Int's is an issue, he is still the best CB Dallas has had in awhile. Besides, if you look at Darrelle Revis, arguably one if the best shutdown CB's of his time, he had 29 career Int's in his 145 career games (or 2.64 Int's a season/average).

16. SSoup

SSoup Well-Known Member

525 Messages
    491 Likes Received
    Oof. That stat doesn't help the Byron defense.

Revis having 29 picks in 145 games means he gets a pick every 5 games on average. Meaning he won't go much more than a month without taking the ball away.

Byron having 2 in 79 games means he gets a pick every 39 games. If you double his totals to come closer to Revis' 145 games, he'd still have only 4 picks in 158 games. And the fact that those 2 picks came in seasons where he was primarily a safety makes it look even worse for his takeaway potential as a corner.

Aviano90, Manster_Mash and Shinaoi like this.
  17. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

15,171 Messages
    13,270 Likes Received
    Reminds me of my first Geocities site 25 years ago.

beware_d-ware likes this.
  18. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

32,466 Messages
    8,397 Likes Received
    Written by Jones' agent.

2 career ints and a reluctant tackler. Yeah, A+

Also recall we drafted him as a safety ... while Landon Collins was still on the board.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

11,805 Messages
    20,241 Likes Received
    Exactly. Some of that is the player and some is the scheme. Next year we could play a gambling type that gets more picks but gives up more passes.

If that happens, I'm sure the posts here will be calm, reasonable and insightful.

Or maybe not.

20. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

11,884 Messages
    10,149 Likes Received
    He doesn't just cover. Despite not getting INTs, he good at getting his hands (or more accurately, a hand) on the ball. Shows up most when he's in trailing coverage horizontally.