Ware and Ratliff talk tough about players quitting

burmafrd

Reaction score
I agree that Merlin Olsen might be the best comparison to Demarcus Ware. He was one of the very best DTs of all time but he was never one to act the tough guy or anything like that. He just got the job done like Dware does.

CCBoy

Reaction score
burmafrd;3694351 said:
I agree that Merlin Olsen might be the best comparison to Demarcus Ware. He was one of the very best DTs of all time but he was never one to act the tough guy or anything like that. He just got the job done like Dware does.

Amen to Merlin Olsen. His fire never was quenched...

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
Doomsay;3694265 said:
:signmast: This is a talk first, act last team. I'd be happy to not hear from the players for the rest of the season.

Well that's simple enough. Just don't listen.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Leadership shows up in people at many different times. Being in the military there are a ton of stories where some quite guy takes over and saves his brothers as the battle seems lost. Some people start leading once all looks lost

CCBoy

Reaction score
FLCowboyFan;3694382 said:
Leadership shows up in people at many different times. Being in the military there are a ton of stories where some quite guy takes over and saves his brothers as the battle seems lost. Some people start leading once all looks lost

Hoooah, forged by fire!

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score

Great post!

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score

So will we see Ware get 7 sacks against the Giants? Will Ratliff put constant pressure up the middle and stop the run? Will Witten score 3 TDs? Those are the kinds of things the people you are talking about did. Dude grabbed a machine gun and some grenades and charged the emplacement single-handed.

Guys like Alvin York or Audie Murphy had something snap inside them and they didn't give a thought to whether they survived or not, or whether anyone else followed them or not, they just charged ahead until the enemy was dead or ready to give up.

When Ware, Ratliff and Witten step up and start having the monster games they are capable of having THEN their talk will mean something. Until then it is just talk. You lead by example not by talking about it.

Someone brought up Merlin Olsen as being a quiet guy but I followed the Rams back in the 60s & 70s and Olsen was DEFINITELY a leader on that team. He led by example and would routinely challenge the other players to step it up.

Ware, Ratliff and Witten are all talk until they start leading by example. Being upset is not the same as leading by example either.

Lastly, unlike combat football is a business to these guys, as evidenced by Jenkins last week. These guys are going through the motions until their contract year. It's all about the payday with most of them. Jerry is all about the money and so are his players.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Some people need to turn in their fan cards.

[youtube]T6inOEn_uQs[/youtube]

Soft??!! :lmao2:

30yrheel

Reaction score
THUMPER;3694476 said:
So will we see Ware get 7 sacks against the Giants? Will Ratliff put constant pressure up the middle and stop the run? Will Witten score 3 TDs? Those are the kinds of things the people you are talking about did. Dude grabbed a machine gun and some grenades and charged the emplacement single-handed.

Guys like Alvin York or Audie Murphy had something snap inside them and they didn't give a thought to whether they survived or not, or whether anyone else followed them or not, they just charged ahead until the enemy was dead or ready to give up.

When Ware, Ratliff and Witten step up and start having the monster games they are capable of having THEN their talk will mean something. Until then it is just talk. You lead by example not by talking about it.

Someone brought up Merlin Olsen as being a quiet guy but I followed the Rams back in the 60s & 70s and Olsen was DEFINITELY a leader on that team. He led by example and would routinely challenge the other players to step it up.

Ware, Ratliff and Witten are all talk until they start leading by example. Being upset is not the same as leading by example either.

Lastly, unlike combat football is a business to these guys, as evidenced by Jenkins last week. These guys are going through the motions until their contract year. It's all about the payday with most of them. Jerry is all about the money and so are his players.

exactly. all i've seen and heard is talk, no action.

basilhayden

Reaction score
Vintage;3694327 said:
Good things these "winners" (lol one postseason game, lol) had enough after 8 games. Whew. We might actually mess this season up.

Cowboys team is on alert. Ware and Ratliff are mad. So mad, in fact, that they might go out there and actually try for a quarter or two.

That's what I see. Lip service. They'll be fired up until they realize it's hard and they are sucking wind.

After about 6 "3 and outs" the defense will be too tired and the Giants will win by 4 touchdowns.:laugh2:

Getting mad doesn't change the OL,play calling, or QB. They will just get tired faster...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
THUMPER;3694476 said:

Ware had 3 sacks against Houston and was the only one seeing to play well against that Houston offense. He dominated all season in 2008. He dominated greats like Walter Jones that year.

Ware can talk all he wants.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;3694180 said:
Man they need to start grabbing face masks and getting amped on the sideline.

Why now? Where was all this desperation when we still had a chance? I'm not buying it.

Fool me once ... shame on me.
Fool me twice ... shame on you.
Fool me after that, that makes us all dang fools.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
dcfanatic;3694176 said:
Just checked out the Cowboys Radio Road Show from the team's website and heard DeMarcus Ware and Jay Ratliff talking pretty tough about making sure there is no more quitting from any of the players on this team...

(The audio is rough. Whoever does this show for them has no clue.)

Ware and Ratliff on Radio Road Show - Nov 13th

If DeMarcus Ware has to get into a fight on the sidelines during a game to make sure there isn't any players quitting during the game and embarrassing the Cowboys I am all for it.

Sounds like Jay Ratliff maybe sent a message out that he's not going to put up with it any more either. Could even be that Coach Garrett has put the team on alert that this stuff won't be tolerated any longer or jobs will be lost. Just glad that it's being acknowledged and addressed as the team goes forward.

Jason Garrett in the defensive team meetings. The head coach is involved in all the facets of the team. Good to hear these things.

Good to hear, but Ware can start by looking in the mirror after the past couple games.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3694774 said:
Ware had 3 sacks against Houston and was the only one seeing to play well against that Houston offense. He dominated all season in 2008. He dominated greats like Walter Jones that year.

Ware can talk all he wants.

Ware quit just as much as the rest of the guys the past few games and teams are single blocking him now and arn't scared of him at all because he gets hardly any pressure on the QB this year. He may get his one sack a game, but the rest of the time he's non existant. He needs to take a long look in the mirror before calling out other players for quitting when it was clear to me especially the past two games that he quit as well.

khiladi

Reaction score
dcfanatic;3694176 said:
Jason Garrett in the defensive team meetings. The head coach is involved in all the facets of the team. Good to hear these things.

Or maybe it's Jerry...

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3694952 said:
Ware quit just as much as the rest of the guys the past few games and teams are single blocking him now and arn't scared of him at all because he gets hardly any pressure on the QB this year. He may get his one sack a game, but the rest of the time he's non existant. He needs to take a long look in the mirror before calling out other players for quitting when it was clear to me especially the past two games that he quit as well.

Yep, he has. My favorite player on defense, but the stats and watching him the last 3 weeks don't lie. Is it a coincidence that we had the worst game of his career two weeks ago and then was barely there last week? Three weeks ago, he had 1 tackle prior to the 4th qtr. and THEN turned it up a notch....too little too late.

Plus, what are Ware and Ratliff going to say when asked? They said what was PC...nothing more.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Jimz31;3695007 said:
Yep, he has. My favorite player on defense, but the stats and watching him the last 3 weeks don't lie. Is it a coincidence that we had the worst game of his career two weeks ago and then was barely there last week? Three weeks ago, he had 1 tackle prior to the 4th qtr. and THEN turned it up a notch....too little too late.

Plus, what are Ware and Ratliff going to say when asked? They said what was PC...nothing more.

And its even more than just the stats. You can just see it in his play that he's not playing up to how good he is. He's one of the most physically gifted guys in the league, so if he was going full speed, against the one on one blocking he's been facing, it should be no contest.. yet he fails to get pressure almost the entire game. Its unheard of. Spencer has been lacking fire this year too.