Was Dak the best QB of the 2016 draft?

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Of the first three QBs selected in the 2016 draft, only Dak is still with his original team, and he keeps being ranked as highly as in the top 5 of the league's quarterbacks....For me the big surprise was how bad Paxton Lynch played for the Broncos. He's who I wanted the Cowboys to draft, and Jerry was trying to.

What team/coaching you start out with makes a big difference. Lynch was on a bad broncos team meanwhile Dak had the advantage of playing behind one of the best o-line's ever, as well as having a great running back to help keep the pressure off. Don't forget having Romo in his corner b4 Romo found out he was being replaced. In short, Dak had every advantage to learn and grow. Lynch did not.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Oh. So you mean wentz needed to go somewhere where the team is already built for him to succeed? I thought Dak was the only QB that needed help to win.
I don't believe Wentz needed that, but Philly was a mess. It would be hard for any QB to succeed.

I still have no idea how he lead that roster to the playoffs in 2019.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yep, he is the best from that draft class and it was sheer blind luck on the Jones' part that he turned out that way.
They were ride or die with Romo who's body just couldn't handle the punishment any longer, yet did nothing to bring in a quality backup despite Romo's injury history.
Just lucky Dak was better than everyone expected.
You're right. They didn't see anything in Dak. The only reason he got a chance to start was because Romo and Moore both got injured. It was blind luck, but hey, I'll take it.

Tom Brady was blind luck too. Let's just hope that Dak can have a quarter of the success as Brady. I think we'd all be happy with that result.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
You're right. They didn't see anything in Dak. The only reason he got a chance to start was because Romo and Moore both got injured. It was blind luck, but hey, I'll take it.

Tom Brady was blind luck too. Let's just hope that Dak can have a quarter of the success as Brady. I think we'd all be happy with that result.

Dak won't have a 100th of the success Brady had.

blueblood70

Reaction score
no it was 3 way tie , sorry those still trying too say Goff and wentz were failures and dak was king need to remember they all had some very good moments and some bad moments, all got paid , however 2 of them went to SBs and dont say it wasnt wentz he was leading the league was MVP candidate before his knee injury late into that season, they were in the payoffs because of him etc etc did you see his WR core and OL last year?

So from where i sit its 3 way tie...so most anyone could claim one is better then the other and have an argument..

sure around these parts they say dak is the clear winner..if he is its by such small margin its not provable by math..

yup this wont go over well flames are heating up i feel it but dont care..had to end the slobfest..

Qcard

Reaction score
I believe when their careers end, Goff, Wentz, and Prescott will have similar passing stats. The difference between the 3 will be measured in post-season success. Right now they are pretty close with a lot to be written.

Right now looking at the 3, it is just a snapshot in time.

Goff 2-3
Dak 1-2
Wentz 0-1 with 1 ring

All about the ring. Eli has a bunch of losses and average stats but two rings.

Dak without a ring will just be another Romo.
Great Post

I like Dak but if we don't get to at least NFCC in next 2 seasons, then I agree, just another Romo

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Takes years to change someone’s character, morals and attitude. And for a football player, it’s almost always too late. For you? It will take decades if at all.
Judging character on an internet message board. Priceless.

The ego it takes to do that....holy moley. Off the charts.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Nope, it will always be about the ring. Look at Marino. The only stat people remember about him is ‘no ring.’ Great player but no ring.

I personally would give Wentz his ring for that year. He led that team to the playoffs and was playing pretty well from what I can remember.

I can guarantee you that if the roles were reversed and it was Dak who got hurt and the Cowboys went on to win, the Dak-worshippers here would count that ring. No doubt at all.

I don't think so. I think most people remember Marino as one of the most prolific passers ever. They know that the ring is a team thing and don't fault him for that.

It is really just stupid anyway. Two of the best passers in the 21st century with a combined 36 years in the NFL only won 1 ring each.

They are not great because they got that 1 ring in 20 years!

Eli can't even sniff their level of play!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of the first three QBs selected in the 2016 draft, only Dak is still with his original team, and he keeps being ranked as highly as in the top 5 of the league's quarterbacks. Meanwhile, the two guys selected before him, Jared Goff and Carson Wentz, are off to restart their careers with other teams. I guess it's possible that Wentz could prove himself great in Indy or that Goff could become a force in Detroit, but we'll have to wait to see what happens. At first it looked like Wentz was going to turn out to be the best. I saw him make some amazing throws, but something seemed to happen to him. He definitely regressed.

For me the big surprise was how bad Paxton Lynch played for the Broncos. He's who I wanted the Cowboys to draft, and Jerry was trying to. After the Zeke pick, Jerry tried unsuccessfully to trade up back into the first round to get Lynch, but the Broncos beat him out. Lynch played really well in college, and the evaluators ranked him highly. He looked like the guy to me. But he's been a journeyman backup, and I'm not even sure if he's even still in the league.

You just never know, I guess. I'd like to think that Jerry got the best QB of 2016 by being a genius, but I don't think that's true. He would have rather had Paxton Lynch at the time. But the Cowboys scouting team had done their homework well enough to realize that Dak had tremendous potential and was worth chancing a 4th-round pick on him.

It's bizarre how things work out. If the talent evaluators had been spot-on, Wentz and Goff would be at the top of the league right now with Lynch very close behind, and Dak would be a capable backup somewhere. It's weird how things work out.

Do you agree, though, that by now it's a done deal? Dak was the best QB picked in the 2016 draft?
Goff has still had the most success going to a Super Bowl. His trade to Detroit still baffles me. I thought he was the best QB in that draft and still might be.

I think Dak has benefited from the supporting cast he’s had on offense . If he had been drafted by LA or Philly I doubt he’d of had as much success.

Often the team you go to and the situation dictates the early success you have in this league. Most of the highly drafted QB’s go to bottom dweller teams and it takes a few years to build around them.

The Cowboys in 2016 with Romo were poised to be a legit playoff contender hoping to return to their 2014 form especially with their top pick a stud RB coming in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I bet 3 years ago you werent saying that Dak was better than Goff. I know lots of Dak trolls were wishing they had Goff over Dak.
After the Rams Super Bowl appearance I certainly was feeling Goff was the best in that draft. I believed it going into that draft. I think most critics did feel after 2018 season and SB run Goff was definitely a better QB than Dak. That’s obviously probably changed some since.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Goff has still had the most success going to a Super Bowl. His trade to Detroit still baffles me. I thought he was the best QB in that draft and still might be.

I think Dak has benefited from the supporting cast he’s had on offense . If he had been drafted by LA or Philly I doubt he’d of had as much success.

Often the team you go to and the situation dictates the early success you have in this league. Most of the highly drafted QB’s go to bottom dweller teams and it takes a few years to build around them.

The Cowboys in 2016 with Romo were poised to be a legit playoff contender hoping to return to their 2014 form especially with their top pick a stud RB coming in.

A big concern I had with Goff was how easy it was for New England to put together a game plan that exploited his weaknesses. They made him look like a 3rd-string scrub in the Super Bowl. I'm not saying he IS as bad as a 3rd-string scrub, only that they gamed him so well that he looked really bad.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Of the first three QBs selected in the 2016 draft, only Dak is still with his original team, and he keeps being ranked as highly as in the top 5 of the league's quarterbacks. Meanwhile, the two guys selected before him, Jared Goff and Carson Wentz, are off to restart their careers with other teams. I guess it's possible that Wentz could prove himself great in Indy or that Goff could become a force in Detroit, but we'll have to wait to see what happens. At first it looked like Wentz was going to turn out to be the best. I saw him make some amazing throws, but something seemed to happen to him. He definitely regressed.

For me the big surprise was how bad Paxton Lynch played for the Broncos. He's who I wanted the Cowboys to draft, and Jerry was trying to. After the Zeke pick, Jerry tried unsuccessfully to trade up back into the first round to get Lynch, but the Broncos beat him out. Lynch played really well in college, and the evaluators ranked him highly. He looked like the guy to me. But he's been a journeyman backup, and I'm not even sure if he's even still in the league.

You just never know, I guess. I'd like to think that Jerry got the best QB of 2016 by being a genius, but I don't think that's true. He would have rather had Paxton Lynch at the time. But the Cowboys scouting team had done their homework well enough to realize that Dak had tremendous potential and was worth chancing a 4th-round pick on him.

It's bizarre how things work out. If the talent evaluators had been spot-on, Wentz and Goff would be at the top of the league right now with Lynch very close behind, and Dak would be a capable backup somewhere. It's weird how things work out.

Do you agree, though, that by now it's a done deal? Dak was the best QB picked in the 2016 draft?

Goff and Wentz went to Super Bowls and Dak has never been spoken of as a Top 5 QB in the NFL.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Wentz was the worst quarterback in the league last year so he has that going for him lol:
True, but that team was a mess.

If he repeats that now that he is in an organization that seems to have things together then there is no saving Wentz and he is officially a lost cause.

We will find out soon enough.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I don't think so. I think most people remember Marino as one of the most prolific passers ever. They know that the ring is a team thing and don't fault him for that.

It is really just stupid anyway. Two of the best passers in the 21st century with a combined 36 years in the NFL only won 1 ring each.

They are not great because they got that 1 ring in 20 years!

Eli can't even sniff their level of play!

Individual awards are good but only become great when one adds a ring.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A big concern I had with Goff was how easy it was for New England to put together a game plan that exploited his weaknesses. They made him look like a 3rd-string scrub in the Super Bowl. I'm not saying he IS as bad as a 3rd-string scrub, only that they gamed him so well that he looked really bad.
Yea but Belichick humbled 2 time NFL MVP and SB MVP Warren and the Greatest Show on Turf as well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To early to say but I think you gotta context it with winning. The term good, for example, is subjective so everybody is going to see it differently.

In 2007 Russell, Quinn, Kolb, Beck, Stanton, Edwards, Smith and Thigpen were all drafted but, Matt Moore, who wasn't drafted, was probably the best of a sorry lot. None of them won championships at QB so were any of them really any good?

On the other hand, Johnny Unites broke in to the NFL with Pittsburgh and they didn't think he was worth a crap, but he was. Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Steve Young, Len Dawson, Joe Theisman, Doug Williams, Jim Plunket, just to name a few, all were drafted by one team and went on to win championships with different teams.

Gotta wait and see I think.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Goff and Wentz went to Super Bowls and Dak has never been spoken of as a Top 5 QB in the NFL.
Well, saying Wentz went to a SB is skewing the facts. He was playing at a MVP level leading Egirls to home field but he was on the bench throughout the playoffs and SB MVP performance by Foles. Wentz has never returned to that form.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Individual awards are good but only become great when one adds a ring.
That’s not true for everyone. There’s many great HOFamers without a ring.

If anything a ring can propel QB’s that wouldn’t otherwise be in the HOF.

Individual awards and recognition often help us distinguish great performances not on great teams.