Was McCarthy the logical hire or just a feel good after Garrett?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From a résumé perspective, the hiring of McCarthy is an otherwise smart decision as he won a Super Bowl, consistently defeated division rivals and reached the playoffs routinely. From a logical perspective, this hiring feels like it was a mistake.

He is an offensive-minded head coach. McCarthy was an offensive coordinator for seven seasons before becoming a head coach, where he called all the offensive plays. But he was fired in Green Bay for having an unimpressive and stale offensive gameplan (in addition to his rift with Rodgers).

Unless McCarthy has revamped his offensive scheme, then there is little reason to believe that this coaching change will be any different from keeping Jason Garrett.

The hiring of the once offensive guru seemed rushed as the NFL season had yet to officially have concluded. The offseason is where offensive and defensive coordinators are open to head coaching positions, particularly those that are currently a part of a playoff run.

Only time will tell how this hiring will affect the success of the Dallas Cowboys. Time is dwindling, however, as their core and elite talent is aging day-by-day and their fans begin to grow restless over the continuous lack of success.

Let’s hope that Jerry Jones sees something that nobody else sees in Mike McCarthy and he can establish the ‘Boys as a powerhouse .
https://nflspinzone.com/2020/01/10/dallas-cowboys-mike-mccarthy-answer/
Guess we will all find out soon enough. What choice do we have?

aria

Reaction score
I’m pretty skeptical. Yes, I think he’s better than JG but I’ll be very curious to see how he does without a HOF QB taking snaps for him. I’ve always thought his play calling has been conservative, he almost let a rookie QB (Dak) come back and beat his team in 2016 because he took his foot off the gas in the 2nd half. IMOF, if it weren’t for Rodgers playing back yard football and drawing up plays on his hand in the huddle, we may have actually beat them.

Anyways...I hope his year off “studying” really helped.

SSoup

Reaction score
It seems like more of a logical move. Jerry admitted college coaches aren't appealing to him due to the learning curve, and not wanting to pay them while they get their feet under them. Which also means pro coaches who would be first-time head coaches also were likely not ever gonna happen.

Which means it was gonna be a Good Old Boys club retread, no matter what.

And McCarthy was the safest, most comfortable pick of that bunch. Jerry wasn't gonna take a big risk by going for a Josh McDaniels type, was he? This is the logical, safe, conservative pick.

The "feel good" hires probably would've been hiring a hotshot college coach who has never failed at the NFL because they've never had their shot up here, to finally scratch the itch for all the fans who spent decades clamoring over Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer and whatever other flavor of the month.

Or maybe moving heaven and earth to bring Sean Payton back to Dallas, that also would've been an easy feel-good move with perhaps the most joy on Day 1 of the era (fans wouldn't have had to go read puff pieces to talk themselves into liking the hire).

Asklesko

Reaction score
It seems like an illogical, good'le boy move. What we needed around here is a defensive coach like Buddy Ryan. Instead we got an offensive nice guy to follow our last offensive nice guy.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
If you enjoy being wrong you picked the right one to agree with.

How many interviews did McCarthy have before he took the job in Dallas ?
Do you really think a coach with questionmarks all over him and 1 year of absence from his job can chose ? No. Those teams did not want him.

Ask yourself this:

Do you really would come to Dallas if you are a coach who wants to establish a winning team? That means who really cares about winning a SB.
Is Dallas the place for you if you are interessted into the fundmentals of football and trying to work in a surrounding where people are interessted into those professional things too?
Do you really want to come to Dallas if you really are an established coach with a lot of upside and nothing to prove ?
That means: Do you really want to come to Dallas when you view yourself as a true and successfull professional at your job ?

I would not. There are a lot of better opportunities in the NFL.

Dallas gives an opportunity for coaches who have something to prove and nobody else will take the risk on them.
Dallas also is the team you want to go to if you want to be in the spotlight and earn a lot of money.

Dallas is not the team you want to go to if you are really interessted into the fundamentals of football or winning the big game.

Please dont buy into the propaganda stuff JJ is selling you.

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
That’s an interesting angle I hadn’t considered.

I really think JJ is making us believe Dallas is the place where everybody wants to coach just because this franchise is forbes #1.

I really do question this.

I would not like to coach for dallas if a were a successfull and proven coach on the rise in the NFL. Not with this FO. I would go else. Maybe i would have to take less spotlight, less money, less fame. But if i were really interessted in my job i would take those "negatives".

Dallas is a good place for someone who has something to prove who has to establish himself again or the first time. Who choses fame, spotlight or money before a professional approach.

I dont think Dallas can chose between a lot of coaches. It has to take what it gets. And McCarthy was what it got.

There was ZERO chance we could get a high Profile NFL or college coach. Not with this FO.

plasticman

Reaction score
He said yes. That made him one of the rare viable options. Frankly, I gotta question his intelligence.

HotDog37

Reaction score
The elephant in the room is Moore. Instead of it being an actual McCarthy run (his way) West Coast offense it will look pretty much like i did before. I believe as I said before that the McCarthy hire was done after Jerry asked to keep Moore. I don't like it but it is what it is. McCarthy will be a walk around coach. There might be some imprint of his former WCO but i highly doubt that much if at all.