Was McCarthy the logical hire or just a feel good after Garrett?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Who were your choices over McC?

I would’ve gone with a big flashy hire like Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley.

Big flashy coaching hires tend to work out under Jerry Jones.

Conservative Jerry is not him playing to his strengths as an owner and his conservative ways have kept us in constant mediocrity.

He needs to find a balance between being conservative and stupid.

The secret sauce they found is good at keeping us in the middle..

We need to be great or terrible.. Being in the middle is the worst spot to be in.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
From a résumé perspective, the hiring of McCarthy is an otherwise smart decision as he won a Super Bowl, consistently defeated division rivals and reached the playoffs routinely. From a logical perspective, this hiring feels like it was a mistake.

He is an offensive-minded head coach. McCarthy was an offensive coordinator for seven seasons before becoming a head coach, where he called all the offensive plays. But he was fired in Green Bay for having an unimpressive and stale offensive gameplan (in addition to his rift with Rodgers).

Unless McCarthy has revamped his offensive scheme, then there is little reason to believe that this coaching change will be any different from keeping Jason Garrett.

The hiring of the once offensive guru seemed rushed as the NFL season had yet to officially have concluded. The offseason is where offensive and defensive coordinators are open to head coaching positions, particularly those that are currently a part of a playoff run.

Only time will tell how this hiring will affect the success of the Dallas Cowboys. Time is dwindling, however, as their core and elite talent is aging day-by-day and their fans begin to grow restless over the continuous lack of success.

Let’s hope that Jerry Jones sees something that nobody else sees in Mike McCarthy and he can establish the ‘Boys as a powerhouse .
https://nflspinzone.com/2020/01/10/dallas-cowboys-mike-mccarthy-answer/
Wow, not a single game played yet but the honeymoon is already over. The "fire big Mike" bus is started and Diehardblues wants to drive it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wow, not a single game played yet but the honeymoon is already over. The "fire big Mike" bus is started and Diehardblues wants to drive it.
That’s a poor characterization.

I’ve stated I’m in a wait and see mode. But I think this hire was to win now.

I see no reason why like with any and everything Cowboys we can’t apply pressure and offer criticism.

And note these weren’t my words but a copy from this writers opinion.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I see no reason why like with any and everything Cowboys we can’t apply pressure and offer criticism.

That's okay, someone else will come along soon enough and want to drive that bus. Wait and see mode is a good thing. I'm right there wit cha.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's okay, someone else will come along soon enough and want to drive that bus. Wait and see mode is a good thing. I'm right there wit cha.
I’m always looking for opinions which are more aligned with mine. Or simply providing arguments and questions to discuss. I enjoy playing devils advocate.

The optimism has been overwhelmingly supportive of this hire on this site but I haven’t felt the same vibe locally and this provides at least some concerns to pause which support my thoughts as well.

I still believe our biggest hurdle is still in place which has thwarted other better coaching hires as well.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I’m always looking for opinions which are more aligned with mine. Or simply providing arguments and questions to discuss. I enjoy playing devils advocate.

The optimism has been overwhelmingly supportive of this hire on this site but I haven’t felt the same vibe locally and this provides at least some concerns to pause which support my thoughts as well.

I still believe our biggest hurdle is still in place which has thwarted other better coaching hires as well.
You know, it's not fun agreeing with you all the time. Most of the arguments I get into around here is just because I'm playing devil's advocate.

But here I go again agreeing. I need to stop that.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
From a résumé perspective, the hiring of McCarthy is an otherwise smart decision as he won a Super Bowl, consistently defeated division rivals and reached the playoffs routinely. From a logical perspective, this hiring feels like it was a mistake.

He is an offensive-minded head coach. McCarthy was an offensive coordinator for seven seasons before becoming a head coach, where he called all the offensive plays. But he was fired in Green Bay for having an unimpressive and stale offensive gameplan (in addition to his rift with Rodgers).

Unless McCarthy has revamped his offensive scheme, then there is little reason to believe that this coaching change will be any different from keeping Jason Garrett.

The hiring of the once offensive guru seemed rushed as the NFL season had yet to officially have concluded. The offseason is where offensive and defensive coordinators are open to head coaching positions, particularly those that are currently a part of a playoff run.

Only time will tell how this hiring will affect the success of the Dallas Cowboys. Time is dwindling, however, as their core and elite talent is aging day-by-day and their fans begin to grow restless over the continuous lack of success.

Let’s hope that Jerry Jones sees something that nobody else sees in Mike McCarthy and he can establish the ‘Boys as a powerhouse .
https://nflspinzone.com/2020/01/10/dallas-cowboys-mike-mccarthy-answer/

But Jerry heard bells, or something. :muttley:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But Jerry heard bells, or something. :muttley:
I’d never heard of anyone sleeping over before at Jerry’s. I’d be curious of those arrangements. Ha

They might be more comfortable with each other than we’d care to know. Lol

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

You always seem to be in wait and see mode so you can shift your opinion.

I've asked a few questions earlier in the thread that I didn't see a response to. I'll ask again.

What is your measure of success for McCarthy? Is it Super Bowl or Bust, NFC Championship game, make playoffs, etc.?
How does this compare to the standards you had for Garrett?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did I say it did? I was prequalifying my comments as I was on board with this hiring. No hidden agenda...…...like some I know.

Do you think any HC would have satisfied everyone? Even your choice for HC? Whoever that was. BTW, who was your guy?

Garrett. Jason Garrett was his guy.

And still is, clearly.

:lmao:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I've asked a few questions earlier in the thread that I didn't see a response to. I'll ask again.

What is your measure of success for McCarthy? Is it Super Bowl or Bust, NFC Championship game, make playoffs, etc.?

Good luck!
:thumbup:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The expectations are much higher for our SB caliber new HC of course. He appears to have more control.

The Bar was lower for our Perfect Puppet.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Why wouldn't it be? We just wasted a decade letting JG keep trying and failing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why wouldn't it be? We just wasted a decade letting JG keep trying and failing.
We’ve wasted an entire generation with Jerry’s foolishness.

There will be no optimism without further evidence until he’s six feet under.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy was A logical hire. To say THE logical hire makes it seem like there was only one possible logical hire. Obviously reasonable people can disagree on who made more sense, but McCarthy would certainly be one of the reasonable options in the mix.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
McCarthy was A logical hire. To say THE logical hire makes it seem like there was only one possible logical hire. Obviously reasonable people can disagree on who made more sense, but McCarthy would certainly be one of the reasonable options in the mix.
I agree an argument can be made for the hire.

I was looking for an argument opposing it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yep

Fat Mikey no doubt snuggled up to Jerry with the overnighter on keeping the Pizza Boy and probably praising Dakster.

I mean.. We have to acknowledge that it's a theory on our part but I think it was basically a combo of Jerry wanting him to stay and Kellen Moore having some leverage with the college ranks wanting him and Philadelphia wanting him.

I do think he was pretty much forced on McCarthy. I do think McCarthy wanted to call plays.

Knowing that they wanted Mike Zimmer and wanted to keep the offensive staff says a lot of what they thought about our offensive system that is obviously trash.