Was McCarthy the logical hire or just a feel good after Garrett?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

giphy.gif

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I mean.. We have to acknowledge that it's a theory on our part but I think it was basically a combo of Jerry wanting him to stay and Kellen Moore having some leverage with the college ranks wanting him and Philadelphia wanting him.

I do think he was pretty much forced on McCarthy. I do think McCarthy wanted to call plays.

Knowing that they wanted Mike Zimmer and wanted to keep the offensive staff says a lot of what they thought about our offensive system that is obviously trash.
The fact we signed an offensive guru OC type HC when our current OC was practically a pre condition is why this writer voiced his illogical opinions on this hire.

A defensive DC type HC made more sense when your keeping the OC and him calling plays.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean.. We have to acknowledge that it's a theory on our part but I think it was basically a combo of Jerry wanting him to stay and Kellen Moore having some leverage with the college ranks wanting him and Philadelphia wanting him.

And why would Moore stay if he knew what you claim to? When as you yourself admit, he had these other options?

I do think he was pretty much forced on McCarthy. I do think McCarthy wanted to call plays.

With no support whatsoever for the position.

that they wanted Mike Zimmer and wanted to keep the offensive staff says a lot of what they thought about our offensive system that is obviously trash.

And you "know" this how exactly?

This entire flimsy argument falls apart because it has zero support behind it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
And why would Moore stay if he knew what you claim to? When as you yourself admit, he had these other options?

With no support whatsoever for the position.

And you "know" this how exactly?

This entire flimsy argument falls apart because it has zero support behind it.

Why would Moore stay in Dallas? Obvious... Being the playcaller of this team will land you a head coaching job if you're decent at it.

He's on the biggest football stage every Sunday.. (except for playoffs)

Also, my support about McCarthy wanting to call plays was from his press conference and he acted like it was obvious he would do that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would Moore stay in Dallas? Obvious... Being the playcaller of this team will land you a head coaching job if you're decent at it.

And he wouldn't be in Philadelphia? A team two years removed from a Super Bowl with an equally high profile quarterback name?

Like the rest of your argument, this is a weak, weak point.

And three of your claims were challenged in my post, not one.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
And he wouldn't be in Philadelphia? A team two years removed from a Super Bowl with an equally high profile quarterback name?

Like the rest of your argument, this is a weak, weak point.

And three of your claims were challenged in my post, not one.

So his choice is to stay in Dallas or go to Philadelphia? I think Dallas would be the obvious choice for any coach.

Listen.. I said it's a theory and obviously you have the high ground in this argument. I could never prove my opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So his choice is to stay in Dallas or go to Philadelphia? I think Dallas would be the obvious choice for any coach.

And to stay where he's "not wanted by the head coach and forced on him by the owner" (according to your consiracy theory) or go somewhere else? Hmmm, tough choice.

Listen.. I said it's a theory and obviously you have the high ground in this argument. I could never prove my opinion.

Fair enough. A classy concession.
:thumbup:
Kudos!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would’ve gone with a big flashy hire like Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley.

Big flashy coaching hires tend to work out under Jerry Jones.

Conservative Jerry is not him playing to his strengths as an owner and his conservative ways have kept us in constant mediocrity.

He needs to find a balance between being conservative and stupid.

The secret sauce they found is good at keeping us in the middle..

We need to be great or terrible.. Being in the middle is the worst spot to be in.
If they were in rebuild mode, I could see going with a college coach but Riley is nothing more than an OC. He inherited one of the best recruiting programs in the country and he can't put a D together and he coaches in the Almost Real Football conference. Meyer is a head case waiting to happen.

If you have a team that you feel is talented and underachieving, a stronger hand with the players and owner is warranted. This is the most unusual HC job in the NFL. Is McC the man for it? I do not know but I do know there are only a very small handful of NFL coaches suited for it and he was on my short list.

He did his time, 13 years in GB with a bunch of entitled jerks, he's battle tested. His biggest challenge will not be struggling but doing well and trying to keep Booger out of his business. He is so celebrity conscious that he hunger for the spotlight is McC's greatest enemy on having the team respond to him.

And I don't know what big splashy coaching hires you are referring to but Johnson was the only one that worked out and he worked out because he could work unencumbered. Parcells had his worst coaching of his career in Dallas for a reason.

garyo1954

Reaction score
It was logical from both sides.

From Jerry's view he needed a well respected proven winner who would make a splash headline. He wanted a coach with NFL experience. BigMc checked all the boxes.

McCarthy wanted a team capable of winning that had a young experienced QB. Carolina's with questions about Cam was a no. The Giants and Washington have young QBs but not a good supporting cast. That leaves Cleveland and Dallas. Bakers Mayfield is a head case and the team seems to be in disarray.

Who does that leave?

I'm thrilled we got him. But not expecting miracles. When he took took over the Mike Sherman, 4-12, Packers, with Brett Favre as QB he was 8-8 the first year and 13-3 the second. When Aaron Rodgers took over, he went 6-10 the first year and 11-5 the second.

Could he win it all this year? If you can conjure up another perfect storm year like 2016, he might come close. I suspect he would be happy getting to playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Also, my support about McCarthy wanting to call plays was from his press conference and he acted like it was obvious he would do that.
Yea, the Pizza Boy didn’t ever appear too interested in pursuing other options. Maybe he’s slept over at Jerry’s too. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then you would need to offer an alternate option to McC. Who was your choice?
You always want to believe we need to offer solutions to be critical.

But I did offer that since we were keeping Moore and he’s calling plays why didn’t we pursue a more defensive minded HC.

Which was the basis of this opinion column I presented and why he called it an illogical hire.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
From a résumé perspective, the hiring of McCarthy is an otherwise smart decision as he won a Super Bowl, consistently defeated division rivals and reached the playoffs routinely. From a logical perspective, this hiring feels like it was a mistake.

He is an offensive-minded head coach. McCarthy was an offensive coordinator for seven seasons before becoming a head coach, where he called all the offensive plays. But he was fired in Green Bay for having an unimpressive and stale offensive gameplan (in addition to his rift with Rodgers).

Unless McCarthy has revamped his offensive scheme, then there is little reason to believe that this coaching change will be any different from keeping Jason Garrett.

The hiring of the once offensive guru seemed rushed as the NFL season had yet to officially have concluded. The offseason is where offensive and defensive coordinators are open to head coaching positions, particularly those that are currently a part of a playoff run.

Only time will tell how this hiring will affect the success of the Dallas Cowboys. Time is dwindling, however, as their core and elite talent is aging day-by-day and their fans begin to grow restless over the continuous lack of success.

Let’s hope that Jerry Jones sees something that nobody else sees in Mike McCarthy and he can establish the ‘Boys as a powerhouse .
https://nflspinzone.com/2020/01/10/dallas-cowboys-mike-mccarthy-answer/
Hiring of McCarthy was a very lucky move for us.

Most of us envisioned another hire like with either another hire like Phillip's was where the new HC would be expected to work with the assembled staff..

or we would get a college HC that had to hire some inexperienced assistants to fill in some holes left on the staff in Garrett's departure.

The 3rd option was taking somebody already on staff like Richard and promote him and let Richard hire his replacement for DC.

The 4th option was hiring a former Cowboy coach like Callahan or Norv Turner and try to keep the status quo going under Dak.

Clearly McCarthy was the one choice that had a real chance of success and he got hired. His SB win is what attracted the interest of the Jones..

and his success as a de facto GM in GB was important, too.

And I do not doubt Parcells and he talked about how it went in Dallas for Parcells.

When Parcells told McCarthy that Jerrah gave Parcells a Popeyes Louisiana Chicken franchise as a thank you, McCarthy said I am in.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We’ve wasted an entire generation with Jerry’s foolishness.

There will be no optimism without further evidence until he’s six feet under.
Other coaches won Super Bowl with Jerry. JG? Didn't even sniff the conference championship.

The best thing to happen was replacing Garrett with a competent head coach.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, the Pizza Boy didn’t ever appear too interested in pursuing other options. Maybe he’s slept over at Jerry’s too. Lol
He was offered the OC job with the Huskies, which most thought he would take since that's his part of the country.

I will make an assumption. McC wanted him and said he'd watched him throughout the season and was impressed. Moore only agreed to come back if he would call the plays and not have that taken away from him. He enjoys that part of the game more than playing and he would be in charge of the offense at UW. McC weighed the positives of having him back on the #2 O and with his QB that had improved under Moore vs calling the plays. It's not like he's not going to be in on the play calling. And Moore understands he still has some learning to do and who better to learn some more aspects of offense and play calling? And keeping Moore was his positive connection with his QB. The QB is learning a new offense, try to keep something comfortable around him, someone that knows him and believes in him and if he didn't, he would have taken that job at UW.

Now another assumption. McC knows the problem with this team isn't on the O side and if he's going to be locked in as the OC and play caller, he's not as involved in the entire game. The D side needs as much of his attention as the O as well as ST. He needs to be the HC, not the HC/OC. He needs to be every players' coach, not just part of the team.

We can all look at the same circumstances and come away with different interpretations, is mine right or better than anyone else's? Of course not, but that's what I've deduced until I see different.

Some see Booger behind the move to keep Moore, how about Nussmeier? Is he behind that too? Only he told McC to move him to QBC form TE's. And Lett, Booger told him to keep him too.

It is disrespect to McC and Moore to suggest McC was forced or coerced into keeping a young coach he had his eye on just because it fits the narrative of wanting a negative vibe to this hiring. If your guy had been hired as HC, if he wanted to keep the guy that had turned that O into the 2nd ranked one, Booger behind that as well?

What is so hard to accept here? An O minded HC takes over a team with the #2 O and #2 QB in passing yards and wants to keep the young guy that accomplished that? It wasn't just McC's eyes on Moore all season, along with Saleh, they were the two most observed coordinators. Some think Moore would need Booger to get a job? Before Booger ever heard the name Kellen Moore, there were already a lot of eyes on him and predictions about coaching being made. He doesn't need some owner forcing a HC to keep him, he's not part of the family.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they were in rebuild mode, I could see going with a college coach but Riley is nothing more than an OC. He inherited one of the best recruiting programs in the country and he can't put a D together and he coaches in the Almost Real Football conference. Meyer is a head case waiting to happen.

If you have a team that you feel is talented and underachieving, a stronger hand with the players and owner is warranted. This is the most unusual HC job in the NFL. Is McC the man for it? I do not know but I do know there are only a very small handful of NFL coaches suited for it and he was on my short list.

He did his time, 13 years in GB with a bunch of entitled jerks, he's battle tested. His biggest challenge will not be struggling but doing well and trying to keep Booger out of his business. He is so celebrity conscious that he hunger for the spotlight is McC's greatest enemy on having the team respond to him.

Neither of those names he suggested interviewed anywhere. That tells anyone looking that they're happy with what they're doing and weren't campaigning for NFL jobs anyway. Not available to get.

And I don't know what big splashy coaching hires you are referring to but Johnson was the only one that worked out and he worked out because he could work unencumbered. Parcells had his worst coaching of his career in Dallas for a reason.

What "reason" would you attribute that to?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like the fact that McCarthy can be a big help to Dak given the experience he has with some very good QB's but in the end I was not looking for an offensive or defensive coach, I was hoping for a HC that was accountable for the entire team. This team has been inconsistent in all phases. 1 week offense looks great but defense struggles the next week the offense struggles and defense looks very good. Key is to get this team playing solid and consistent ball in all phases. That is the role of the HC, he is the man who should set the tone for the entire ball club.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the fact that McCarthy can be a big help to Dak given the experience he has with some very good QB's but in the end I was not looking for an offensive or defensive coach, I was hoping for a HC that was accountable for the entire team. This team has been inconsistent in all phases. 1 week offense looks great but defense struggles the next week the offense struggles and defense looks very good. Key is to get this team playing solid and consistent ball in all phases. That is the role of the HC, he is the man who should set the tone for the entire ball club.

I totally agree, and it seems like that was the priority that the Cowboys ultimately set to find.