Was there a rule change about icing the kicker at the end of a game?

Dunks3001

Reaction score
I was almost sure CIN was going to call a TO and try to ice Maher at the end of the game but they didn't. I also saw the same thing happen in another game recently where the opposing team could have called a TO to try and ice a game winning kick and they didn't. That use to happen all the time. Was that recently changed to unsportsmanlike conduct or something? Not sure why you stop doing it. It was a good strategy.

csirl

Reaction score
Its too advantageous to the kicker to call a last second timeout. Coaches have finally realised that the ball will be snapped and kicked anyway. So the kicker gets a practise kick and plenty of time to set up for the real.kick.

Kicker is more likely to miss if they've to run on and set up, in <40 seconds with no practise kick.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I was almost sure CIN was going to call a TO and try to ice Maher at the end of the game but they didn't. I also saw the same thing happen in another game recently where the opposing team could have called a TO to try and ice a game winning kick and they didn't. That use to happen all the time. Was that recently changed to unsportsmanlike conduct or something? Not sure why you stop doing it. It was a good strategy.
Except it's not a good strategy.

Flamma

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure they did it in the Seattle/Denver game on that 64 yarder and he missed it. Then missed it again. The problem with that strategy, if this is what you mean, is that if the kicker misses it, you're giving him a second chance.

Or did you mean, just call a timeout and let the kicker think about for a while?

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Probably didn’t call timeout because Maher didnt kick for the entire half.