Watching '93 Giants/Boys game...

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
....I couldn't help be struck by how more organized the offensive side of the ball looked than the current edition.

It seemed as though they were in and out of the huddle in seconds and the tempo was MUCH higher than this group.

Has the coaching staff ever been asked this question? Does anyone have a theory as to why this team constantly needs to milk almost every second of the clock before snapping the ball?

links18

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2486649 said:
....I couldn't help be struck by how more organized the offensive side of the ball looked than the current edition.

It seemed as though they were in and out of the huddle in seconds and the tempo was MUCH higher than this group.

Has the coaching staff ever been asked this question? Does anyone have a theory as to why this team constantly needs to milk almost every second of the clock before snapping the ball?

Here's what I noticed: We got owned for much of the second half in that game. In fact, we very much could have lost that game. Kind of like the Steeler's game last week, except we were able to pull it out at the end with a heroic performance by Emmitt, but the victory was far from a dominant one. Rodney Hampton was eating us alive in the second half. Just shows that even the greatest teams were not always dominant in every game, but found way to win.

I also noticed that our offense was completely vanilla. Hand it off or pitch it to Emmitt, throw it to Irvin or Novaceck with an occasional dump-off to Emmitt or Moose and that was about it. We never lined up in more than 3 wide.

Kevin Williams made a boneheaded play that totally changed momentum towards the Giants. Jimmy didn't rip his head off about it, but he wasn't silent either.

Everyone looked like they were much bigger than I remember them. Has something changed in how shoulder pads are made?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Pay careful attention to Aikman and how he surveys the field while he's dropping back. By the time he finishes his dropback the ball is already gone.

None of this scrambling around, buying time, getting out of the pocket stuff that you see today.

Also watch the receivers and how they simply turn around and the ball is there, on target.

WOW! That offense was a thing of beauty.

:starspin

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2487029 said:
Pay careful attention to Aikman and how he surveys the field while he's dropping back. By the time he finishes his dropback the ball is already gone.

None of this scrambling around, buying time, getting out of the pocket stuff that you see today.

Also watch the receivers and how they simply turn around and the ball is there, on target.

WOW! That offense was a thing of beauty.

:starspin

Very true plus Aikman didn't have to worry about the center snapping the ball 5 feet over his head.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2487035 said:
Very true plus Aikman didn't have to worry about the center snapping the ball 5 feet over his head.

LOL! So true about the center snaps.

My wife didn't follow football back then, and she has seen some of the classic Cowboys games shown this year, and she commented on how crisp and precise that offense looks versus today. Aikman's dropbacks weren't slow either. He was quick in this dropback and survey of the field.

I've yet to see an offense in today's modern era that looks anything as crisp as that one in its prime. Just a thing of beauty!