Watson's cap hit after trade

ondaedg

Reaction score
I'll also comment that while I'm not a huge Dak supporter Im a little surprised at why the sky seems to be the limit on what teams ought to pay for Watson, while people around here think Prescott is worthless.

I personally dont see a huge difference as far as accomplishments or potential.

I'd honestly rather have Dak but whatever. Not the point.

Strange isn't it when a guy who was averaging 400+ yds/g and a few zoners are saying he is barely a backup?

:huh::muttley:

fivetwos

Reaction score
lol.. This roster is destined for the middle if we sign Dak.. Or did you miss the last 2 seasons and see Dak isn't capable of carrying a team. Heck we can throw in 2018 too because we saw him without Amari as well.

Paying premiums for a QB that needs to be surrounded by a lot of talent is pure foolishness. If he had a Superbowl trophy in hand i'd be all for it but instead you're wanting to do what the Vikings did and claiming we are better than them? PUUUH LEASE.
The possibility does exist that he can improve his game.

You're assuming we have seen his best already. I'm not.

Would I be shocked either way? No.

But should we dismantle the entire roster at this point? No.

It's a risk worth taking considering Houston is apparently able to walk away from Watsons deal and still exist.

You also assume that the cap savings will be spent on several stud starters. I don't know that thats a given considering the FO track record.

Would you agree the FO has been subpar for some time now? Sure you would.

But you also want that same FO to go find a new QB and spend the savings on stud players.

Not very likely. Give it a shot with what they have.

If it doesn't work in two years then sure....blow it up.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Maybe some of you smart guys can help me understand something.....

How can Watson have signed such a large deal and there be so little cap ramification to Houston that I have yet to see it mentioned in anyone's reports of him wanting to be dealt.

Maybe I missed it, but it seems strange that we can't as much as take out our garbage because of cap implications, but a nine figure contract can be absorbed by Houston with no problem.

I would think his entire guaranteed portion would accelerate into the 2021 cap.

A lot of Watson's guaranteed money is in the form of roster bonuses and guaranteed future salaries.

Only signing bonuses accelerate like that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The possibility does exist that he can improve his game.

You're assuming we have seen his best already. I'm not.

Would I be shocked either way? No.

But should we dismantle the entire roster at this point? No.

It's a risk worth taking considering Houston is apparently able to walk away from Watsons deal and still exist.

I see elite QB's not capable of doing what we're going to ask him to do.

How much better than Russell Wilson does he have to be to do what even Russell Wilson can't do?

Even elite QB's struggle after getting these massive deals.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cousins was definitely not worth what he was asking at the time and I didn't at all think WFT made the wrong move.

In hindsight, they STILL haven't solved the QB problem since.

Not to even mention that Cousins was the backup plan to the massive haul they dealt to get RGIII.

That ought to concern anyone that is willing to go into "look for qb" mode.

This roster isn't bad enough to do that.
Cousins fell into their laps and saved them once RG3 was injured.
He wasn't elite but he was a very solid starting QB for very cheap.
They mishandled it and made him mad to the point they had to franchise him and then lose him to start the qb search all over.
I'm not sure the WFT with Cousins at QB couldn't have won the NFC this year.
They are really good on both lines.

Instead they had really putrid QB play most of the season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Seems to be trending that teams are willing to go back to the pond and try and catch a Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, Murray, maybe even a Darnold,,,, vs the 45m cap hit.

The veteran QB market has increasingly looked like a bubble to me, especially compared to the rookie salary scale.

Great vets playing longer, more QBs entering the league NFL ready. More supply, still only 32 spots to fill. That should drive down QB cap%, yet it kept going up. The cap going down next year could burst the bubble.

We should have traded Dak last year when we couldn't get a long term contract with him.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'll also comment that while I'm not a huge Dak supporter Im a little surprised at why the sky seems to be the limit on what teams ought to pay for Watson, while people around here think Prescott is worthless.

I personally dont see a huge difference as far as accomplishments or potential.

I'd honestly rather have Dak but whatever. Not the point.
They are pretty much the same player. Watson is more of a playmaker which makes the general fan think he's better. Dak is better w/ the down to down consistency and moving chains.

kskboys

Reaction score
Cousins fell into their laps and saved them once RG3 was injured.
He wasn't elite but he was a very solid starting QB for very cheap.
They mishandled it and made him mad to the point they had to franchise him and then lose him to start the qb search all over.
I'm not sure the WFT with Cousins at QB couldn't have won the NFC this year.
They are really good on both lines.

Instead they had really putrid QB play most of the season.
So you think a team should overpay for a very average Q just to win a few more games, even though doing so takes a large chunk of a possible super bowl shot away? Just relevance is your goal? I honestly don't comprehend this way of thinking.

kskboys

Reaction score
Haven't really seen that yet. Zero teams have let a young franchise QB walk.

The last two teams that did it were the WFT with Cousins and the San Diego Chargers.
Sort of hilariously neither team exists in that from any longer.
San Diego went draft route and got a really good one but never cracked the glass ceiling while we know what Brees has done.
WFT tried Alex Smith but he was older and injured.
They are now gonna be on R1 QB attempt 2.

But it is possible we will see a day where teams truly balk and go for the rookie crap shoot.
Brees and Rivers have mirror careers. Brees had one lucky cinderella season, but he hasn't been better than Rivers. Same player.

Flamma

Reaction score
I do know that his cap hit to the new team is very reasonable in 2021, but goes up to “fair market” after

Yeah, that's because his actual extension starts in 2022. Cap hits for a new team getting him starting at 2021 should be, 10m, 35m, 37m, 32m, and 32m.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, that's because his actual extension starts in 2022. Cap hits for a new team getting him starting at 2021 should be, 10m, 35m, 37m, 32m, and 32m.
True
But that's a pretty nice 2021 cap hit for a franchise QB.
Times up pretty well with the flat or reduced team cap for that one year.
He's so young, whoever gets him can rework things going forward.