Way too early Cowboys 2021 mock

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Used The Draft Network simulator.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-drafts

They currently don't include compensatory picks (we are projected to get picks in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th rounds). We are missing a 5th round pick (Tyler Biadasz trade-up) and 6th round pick (Michael Bennett trade).

1(28) Pat Freiermuth TE (6-5/250) Penn State
unknown-jpeg.6854
I'm on record as feeling the Front Office and fan base is seriously overrating Blake Jarwin. Taking a TE in the 1st round would be a result of the team acknowledging that right away. Freiermuth is a big, physical difference maker at Tight End. I'm not saying he's Gronk, but he has Gronk-like potential.

2(60) Israel Mukuamu CB (6-3/205) South Carolina
images-jpeg.6855
Mukuama is a tall, long corner who looks like an NBA small forward out there covering WR's. His playing style, athleticism and footwork remind me of recent Cowboys 2nd round pick Trevon Diggs. Why would the Cowboys target another CB in 2021? Chido Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis are both potential free agents.

3(92) Trevon Moehrig S TCU (6-1/210)
image-jpeg.6849
My long, national nightmare is over and the Cowboys finally address their weakness at Safety. Moehrig excels at playing single high in TCU's defense and is a true centerfielder.

4(124) Merlin Robertson LB (6-2/235) Arizona State
image-jpeg.6850
The Cowboys need a suitable replacement for veteran Linebacker Sean Lee and Arizona State playmaker Merlin Robertson has great value here. In his first 2 seasons at ASU, he has 141 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 2 INT, and 2 FF.

7(220) Gleson Sprewell S (6-2/180) Houston
unknown-jpeg.6856
With HaHa Clinton Dix, Xavier Woods, and Darian Thompson all scheduled to become free agents, I doubled down on the Safety position. Glee is a player I recruited and coached at Mesa Community College before he moved onto Houston. In his first two years of college (2017 Mesa CC, 2018 Houston) he has scored 4 defensive TD's. He got hurt after 4 games in 2019 so he took a medical redshirt. In his 17 games at UH, he's had 104 tackles, 4 INT, and 1 FR.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

They currently don't include compensatory picks (we are projected to get picks in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th rounds). We are missing a 5th round pick (Tyler Biadasz trade-up) and 6th round pick (Michael Bennett trade).

unknown-jpeg.6854
I'm on record as feeling the Front Office and fan base is seriously overrating Blake Jarwin. Taking a TE in the 1st round would be a result of the team acknowledging that right away. Freiermuth is a big, physical difference maker at Tight End. I'm not saying he's Gronk, but he has Gronk-like potential.

images-jpeg.6855
Mukuama is a tall, long corner who looks like an NBA small forward out there covering WR's. His playing style, athleticism and footwork remind me of recent Cowboys 2nd round pick Trevon Diggs. Why would the Cowboys target another CB in 2021? Chido Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis are both potential free agents.

image-jpeg.6849
My long, national nightmare is over and the Cowboys finally address their weakness at Safety. Moehrig excels at playing single high in TCU's defense and is a true centerfielder.

image-jpeg.6850
The Cowboys need a suitable replacement for veteran Linebacker Sean Lee and Arizona State playmaker Merlin Robertson has great value here. In his first 2 seasons at ASU, he has 141 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 2 INT, and 2 FF.

unknown-jpeg.6856
With HaHa Clinton Dix, Xavier Woods, and Darian Thompson all scheduled to become free agents, I doubled down on the Safety position. Glee is a player I recruited and coached at Mesa Community College before he moved onto Houston. In his first two years of college (2017 Mesa CC, 2018 Houston) he has scored 4 defensive TD's. He got hurt after 4 games in 2019 so he took a medical redshirt. In his 17 games at UH, he's had 104 tackles, 4 INT, and 1 FR.
Im hoping Diggs and Robinson can make CB not necessary the first two days. Id like to add some RDE talent, but thats hard where you have us drafting. I think we will be in need of another DT next year as well.

TE, outside of Jarwin we dont have any real starting contenders there. So if he doesnt step up, I could definitely see it getting high round consideration

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Im hoping Diggs and Robinson can make CB not necessary the first two days

I'm hopeful that they will too, but the following Cowboys CB's are scheduled to hit free agency after this season:
Chidobe Awuzie
Jourdan Lewis
Daryl Worley
Maurice Canady
CJ Goodwin
Deante Burton

Unless a few re-sign, CB will very much be a need next off-season.

DE is likely a need as well with Crawford's contract (finally) ending and the uncertainty that comes with Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory. I just wasn't big on any of the ones available to the Cowboys in this simulated mock draft. Gregory Rousseau (Miami) will go higher than we'll pick, and the other projected top DE's don't wow me. I do like Oregon State's Hamilcar Rashed (light, only 233 lbs.) and Miami's other Edge Jaelan Phillips (former 5-Star recruit, hasn't played in 2 years due to injuries and transfer). Edge is such a critical position and athleticism is such a important element of this position, yet there was only one (Chase Young) drafted in the 1st round, and two more (Yetur Gross-Matos and Darryl Taylor) drafted in the 2nd round. (I consider Marlon Davidson and AJ Epenesa to be Interior Defensive Linemen). Next year's draft is not looking particularly deep at the position as well IMO. Our best hope is Aldon and Randy working out, or we'll most likely have to look to free agency.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I disagree with this mock entirely. Not the players you pick but the spot that you picked them at. We are picking last. I have a positive outlook for this year. In all seriousness, good job.

fivetwos

Reaction score

unknown-jpeg.6854

images-jpeg.6855

image-jpeg.6849

image-jpeg.6850

unknown-jpeg.6856
Interesting take on Jarwin, and probably true.

Witten was your prototypical progress stopper last year as far as finding out what was what on Jarwin....with regards to being TE1.

The staff was so bad in so many ways, but the Witten vs Jarwin playing time thing was ridiculous.

If you're right, would have been nice to find that out before extending the guy. Plus, really anything would have been better than Witten last year. He was the slowest skill position player I've ever seen on an NFL field.

Regardless, I'm all for collecting multiple capable TEs, so I'm in on that pick.

Does Moehrig actually last that long? Not sure on that one.

Agreed that corner will be a higher priority than many realize. A complete overhaul of the secondary will take another off season.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Pretty fair mock draft. I agree with the tight end position. It really covers so needs aswell as bpa.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

I'm on record as feeling the Front Office and fan base is seriously overrating Blake Jarwin.
Taking a TE in the 1st round would be a result of the team acknowledging that right away. Freiermuth is a big, physical difference maker at Tight End. I'm not saying he's Gronk, but he has Gronk-like potential.

I like what he's shown so far. I think he can be more productive with more snaps. Teams will have more concern about stopping our WR's and Zeke/Pollard RB combo before focusing on Jarwin.

Beaker42

Reaction score

unknown-jpeg.6854

images-jpeg.6855

image-jpeg.6849

image-jpeg.6850

unknown-jpeg.6856
Our 1st rounder next draft will be a QB, not a TE.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Our 1st rounder next draft will be a QB, not a TE.

You may be right.

When I did this mock my mentality was the team and Dak would compromise and sign a long-term deal.

However, drafting QB's in the 20s (or even the 2nd half of the 1st round) can be problematic. 1st round QB's (both successful and busts) tend to go top 10.

2020 - Jordan Love to Green Bay at 26 (traded up to get him)
2019 - none (Haskins taken at 15)
2018 - Lamar Jackson to Baltimore at 32 (traded up to get him)
2017 - none
2016 - Paxton Lynch to Denver at 26 (traded up to get him)
2015 - none
2014 - Johnny Manziel to Cleveand at 22 (traded up to gtet him) and Teddy Bridgewater to Minnesota at 32 (traded up to get him)

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
I LIKE TANNER MORGAN AS OUR NEXT QB. He is the most complete QB in the 2021 class IMO. has GREAT ANTICIPATION.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I LIKE TANNER MORGAN AS OUR NEXT QB. He is the most complete QB in the 2021 class IMO. has GREAT ANTICIPATION.

Ehh...

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/tanner-morgan/xRtHecEZoP

PROS (+): He's a pretty savvy passer — shows good control of his offense and understanding of when and where to take his throws. Makes good decisions in the RPO game to slot the ball behind scraping LBs and is capable of hurrying his process here to get the ball out clean. Willing to pull the trigger before his receivers are out of the top of their breaks, showing good anticipation for spot throws to hit timing routes and ensure he's keeping the offense on schedule. Plays with a big play mentality within the pocket — one of the more aggressive Power 5 quarterbacks in 2019 and routinely tossed haymakers down the field with confidence despite a lack of high end physical skills. Showed good chemistry and trust of his receivers, insinuating that he'll be able to replicate success at the pro level with time.
CONS (—): For all of his toughness and anticipation, he doesn't support an overly impressive arm. The ball doesn't explode off his hand with pop and he's forced to throw with anticipation out of necessity due to a lack of arm strength. His completion percentage isn't indicative of his ball placement skills, either — he forced Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman to work hard for a lot of over the middle receptions, many of which came in high. His accuracy seemed to wane as he tried to press it with more velocity; wouldn't call him an easy thrower. And while he's got composure under duress, he's not an athlete who will win outside the pocket with consistency and he lacks the twitch to break rush angles and create big plays with his legs.

I really like P.J. Fleck so I'm rooting for him and Morgan to do well, but in no way agree that he is the most complete QB in 2021 class.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yeah and we just paid him near pro bowl level money at the position. I can not believe how people think Jerry and Stephen have a clue.
Ah yes, the ol' 18-TE Pro Bowl games.

I don't mind TE in the first, theoretically, but idk that I love Freiermuth there. Size is nice, but the NFL is a speed game now. I wouldn't go with Freiermuth in the first if I could go with, say, Peyton Hendershot in the 5th.