We’re in the Trevor Lawrence race!

SackMaster

Reaction score
How is that a risky move?

Where has Dak gotten this team these last 5 seasons?

He was 6-10 in his previous 16 starts.

You would have a semi-point if Dak was cheap, but he wants a massive deal. Our future will look like the Texans’
Lawrence could EASILY be worse than Dak. College football success does not equal NFL football success.

Even IF Lawrence is better than Dak, and again, that is is a BIG if, how much success does he have with the same team Dak has played under while he was "cheap"?

Lawrence does not carry Garrett to a Super Bowl.
Lawrence does not carry Zeke, DLaw, Jaylon to a Super Bowl.

At BEST, you are improving the #10 best QB in the NFL to the #1 best QB in the NFL. And when we do that with the same bad contract, terrible signings and inept coaching, Lawrence ends up more like Andrew Luck than Patrick Mahomes.

I find it interesting that to some, not paying Dak equals Dallas getting better. Like it is because of Dak that JERRY JONES signed a handful of completely non-related players to terrible contracts.

Paying Dak is NOT the issue. In fact, keeping Dak around, even with a large contract, is the BEST chance Dallas has at winning a Super Bowl. Anything else is just a hope and a prayer.
:thumbup:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Lawrence could EASILY be worse than Dak. College football success does not equal NFL football success.

Even IF Lawrence is better than Dak, and again, that is is a BIG if, how much success does he have with the same team Dak has played under while he was "cheap"?

Lawrence does not carry Garrett to a Super Bowl.
Lawrence does not carry Zeke, DLaw, Jaylon to a Super Bowl.

At BEST, you are improving the #10 best QB in the NFL to the #1 best QB in the NFL. And when we do that with the same bad contract, terrible signings and inept coaching, Lawrence ends up more like Andrew Luck than Patrick Mahomes.

I find it interesting that to some, not paying Dak equals Dallas getting better. Like it is because of Dak that JERRY JONES signed a handful of completely non-related players to terrible contracts.

Paying Dak is NOT the issue. In fact, keeping Dak around, even with a large contract, is the BEST chance Dallas has at winning a Super Bowl. Anything else is just a hope and a prayer.
:thumbup:
You take Lawerence based on upside and because his rookie contract will be cheap. That money can be used on free agents.

The method we have right now is not working. Paying our own and largely ignoring the first wave of free agency has not worked. Our homegrown players are massively underperforming and crippling our salary cap.

I can easily flip your argument and say the defensive player you choose with a top-pick might be a bust and we still will have a horrible defense. See how this works? Look at a player like Isaiah Simmons. One of the top defensive players in the draft, only played 21 snaps last night.

It works both ways

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If we were lucky enough to have the #1 pick, I feel certain we would trade it for a load of picks and use them to find several starters on defense. No QB matters until that happens.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
A very very likely scenario; we lose out. The Jets and Falcons win some ball games. We are sitting there at 1, and we trade down.

We aren't taking him in ANY WORLD.

Sorry, yall can argue a case in either direction. It DOESN'T matter.

This isn't about our logic or reasoning. This is about Jones logic.

SackMaster

Reaction score
You take Lawerence based on upside and because his rookie contract will be cheap. That money can be used on free agents.

The method we have right now is not working. Paying our own and largely ignoring the first wave of free agency has not worked. Our homegrown players are massively underperforming and crippling our salary cap.

I can easily flip your argument and say the defensive player you choose with a top-pick might be a bust and we still will have a horrible defense. See how this works? Look at a player like Isaiah Simmons. One of the top defensive players in the draft, only played 21 snaps last night.

It works both ways
Tell me, who do you sign in free agency? And who have we missed out on in Free Agency that has been a great signing for their new team?

If you can come up with a list of guys that will make a difference for the Cowboys, and that teams will just let walk, THEN you have a point. But I suspect that that list will be pretty hard to come by as virtually EVERY major attempt to build a team via Free Agency fails, big time.

If you want to get a great player from another team, you will need to trade for them. Great players are not allowed to just walk.

And you are absolutely right, we could miss on ANY player in the draft. But let me ask you what is more crippling, missing on a QB or missing on a non-QB?

Yet you are willing to draft a position that has the, BY FAR, the worse chance at becoming an All-Pro caliber player:

All-Pro rates among first-round picks, 25-year sample
Position - Drafted - All-Pros - All-Pro rate
LB - 87 - 23 - 26.4%
S - 35 - 9 - 25.7%
C - 12 - 3 - 25.0%
G - 32 - 7 - 21.9%
OT - 84 - 16 - 19.0%
DL - 170 - 28 - 16.5%
RB - 96 - 15 - 15.6%
CB - 91 - 14 - 15.4%
WR - 99 - 15 - 15.2%
TE - 28 - 4 - 14.3%
QB - 57 - 3 - 5.3%

If I'm Dallas, I'm drafting a LB, S, OLine or DLine in the first round. All positions that could EASILY be upgraded without losing a top player at their position in the process.

But hey, lets allow one of the 5 players (maybe?) that are worth a darn on the current roster to walk for a 5.3% chance that the new QB will be just slightly better.

Like I said:
  • Risky even if you have no choice but it is your only choice
  • Flat out idiotic if you have a QB and just let him walk hoping you can sign other team castoffs and the rookie you draft is one of the 5% of great ones

But keep telling yourself that you can rebuild a team via "first wave free agents" with JUST $30 million.
:lmao2:

stilltheguru

Reaction score

It works both ways
Dak is coming back whether you like it or not. Real talk bruh

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Yep at this rate we could near the top of the draft and in position to pick Trevor Lawrence.

We have zero chance picking him. Even if we tank now, there are so much more teams that will end the season with a worse record. Just look were we are right now (13th or 14th place, cant remember exactly).

But i would love to have him, no doubt.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yep at this rate we could near the top of the draft and in position to pick Trevor Lawrence.
Not a chance,, we are in a one legged sack race to probably 6-10, maybe even slightly better.
Jets will draft Lawrence.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’ll say it again. If the cowboys actually end up with the first pick. U gotta take Lawrence. You have to.

but y’all shouldn’t be getting your hopes up. Cowboys won’t have the first pick and they aren’t trading up to get it. And the team with the first pick isn’t taking a trade and passing on Lawrence themselves.

Jets will win less games. Falcons prolly too and cowboys have the tiebreaker over them.

Big_D

Reaction score
When your QB is due 40 million and the rest of the team stinks. That’s a serious problem! You pay Dak now and the rest of the team simply isn’t good enough to take advantage of that contract. Just throwing crap at the wall while nothing sticks. The way this team looked last night, I think it would be in their best interest long term to start over. Find a young QB on a rookie deal and properly build around that. Super Bowl aspirations are out the window for awhile. Even with a healthy Prescott!

reddyuta

Reaction score
no we are not,the Jets are actively tanking for Lawrence.there is no way they will win a single game this season.

reddyuta

Reaction score
When your QB is due 40 million and the rest of the team stinks. That’s a serious problem! You pay Dak now and the rest of the team simply isn’t good enough to take advantage of that contract. Just throwing crap at the wall while nothing sticks. The way this team looked last night, I think it would be in their best interest long term to start over. Find a young QB on a rookie deal and properly build around that. Super Bowl aspirations are out the window for awhile. Even with a healthy Prescott!

i am coming around to this thought.we are simply talent deficient in a lot of areas to field a competent team with Dak taking $40 million of the cap.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I know

Ive moved on to wanting Parsons. The Jaylon experiment needs to end
I dont see them cutting him. I think theyll draft a cb round 1. We all know they arent signing a cb to the money they get. And i doubt they try to sell super bowl dreams with another rookie 2nd round cb.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
If we were lucky enough to have the #1 pick, I feel certain we would trade it for a load of picks and use them to find several starters on defense. No QB matters until that happens.

LOL, and we will continue to draft players we don't need.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I dont see them cutting him. I think theyll draft a cb round 1. We all know they arent signing a cb to the money they get. And i doubt they try to sell super bowl dreams with another rookie 2nd round cb.
I dont want a CB in the first.

That pick has to be for the front 7.