Twitter: We forget, selecting Zeke 4th overall was more about Romo, not Dak

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Kinda forgot about that until reading this tweet from Helman. Ideally, he was going be a younger, cheaper, more extended version of 2014 DeMarco Murray. Making life easier for Romo.....

It was about philosophy.
DAL decided after letting Murray walk and seeing that team they needed a bell-cow RB and Zeke was by far the BPA at 4.
Ramsay is a very talented CB but he has some "issues" and isn't that likely for a long stay, much less SB in JAX.
DAL runs a system that made Byron Jones a stud, top 5 by metrics CB.
They don't need a CB anymore than they NEED a RB under Richard.
In fact it might be the team's deepest position while RB is one of it's weakest.

blueblood70

Reaction score
People are out there still crying that they didn’t draft Ramsey?

Get over it already.

I have never seen so much hand wringing over a team that drafted an all pro caliber player who is one of the best in the league. Regardless of position. They just as easily could have screwed up and drafted a complete bust.

right Ramsey sure put Jacksonville in the promise land , oh wait didnt they draft Fournette AFTER must have been second guessing not taking Zeke LOL ODD Jaguars had 1 thats ONE 10 win season and nothing else with all those player and JR who must be a god at this point we are 2nd guessing zeke..sorry dont agree and Apparently them taking Fournette a yr later says it all Giants went and took SB 2nd overall , didnt they learn from the Cowboys mistake I mean you all know it all , media knows it all but NO THEY DONT..

paint it from different views but JR has not done any more to help his team then zeke has, they both have lived up to expectations but no one player can take an entire TEAM to the Playoffs, lots of timing, luck with injuries, opponents injurys , and just hitting your stride at the right time lie Philly did, they dont have great team per say not a SB run type but they hit it at the perfect time and had some luck along the way..

erod

Reaction score
I find it very difficult to believe you supported the Zeke pick since you haven’t supported anything the Cowboys do. Maybe you were drunk and had an epiphany.
I was the #1 cheerleader for that pick around here, and I was probably one of the most optimistic posters here at the time. In fact, right now, this is perhaps the most talented roster in the NFL right now, or close to it.

The team has one problem. The weakest link is the quarterback, who can't play the position from the pocket and is so far reluctant and incapable of consistently making throws in tight windows. Until that is remedied, which it hopefully will be one day, then these are wasted opportunities.

Dak is worse at his position than any starter on the offense except for Connor Williams and maybe Michael Gallup, and that may have changed over the offseason.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is probably the best supporting cast Prescott will have. Once we begin the 2nd contracts the talent around him will be more limited . The future is now. The window will be closing in next couple years.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's amazing how many Super Bowls Romo has won since retiring.
Yeah, it's silly. I wish the same excuses were afforded to the current starter.
On one had we hear "Romo never had a good enough team around him."
On the other we hear "But Prescott need to have talent around him."

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I was the #1 cheerleader for that pick around here, and I was probably one of the most optimistic posters here at the time. In fact, right now, this is perhaps the most talented roster in the NFL right now, or close to it.

The team has one problem. The weakest link is the quarterback, who can't play the position from the pocket and is so far reluctant and incapable of consistently making throws in tight windows. Until that is remedied, which it hopefully will be one day, then these are wasted opportunities.

Dak is worse at his position than any starter on the offense except for Connor Williams and maybe Michael Gallup, and that may have changed over the offseason.
You’re entitled to your opinion.

aaev84

Reaction score
This logic is hilarious. Romo had shown zero up to that point that he could lead a team even close to a Super Bowl but so many just pencil it in as Romo would easily win it.

Tell me, how much better would Romo have played in the Packers playoff game? Dallas got the #1 seed. Romo could not have did better than that (obviously). Dak's playoff game against GB was magnificent, especially for a rookie. He only made one single mistake and brought this team back from 21-3 to tie the game and could have won it had Garrett not played for the tie at the end and spiking the ball. Also, that defense was horrendous. Romo has never shown he can overcome a terrible defense to take a team anywhere.

But yall can have the fairty tale Super Bowl people love to give Romo for 2016....
Without Zeke, the whole 2016 offensive dynamic changes significantly. Very likely Dak goes back to the bench when Romo is back from injury. That is because there is no way Dallas wins like they did without Zeke.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Hawk. Was Romo going to score more than 31 points?
That's not to mention that we would then have to play that team that killed the Packers by 23 points. Then beat the team that beat that team in the Super Bowl.
Lol they always forget dak or romo couldn't prevent rodgers from throwing a bomb down the sideline with 11 seconds to go with your boi watching the ball go past him to the TE he should have been covering.

erod

Reaction score
Hawk. Was Romo going to score more than 31 points?
That's not to mention that we would then have to play that team that killed the Packers by 23 points. Then beat the team that beat that team in the Super Bowl.
Romo could have put up 50 on that Packer defense if need be. Most any team could have. They were missing everybody.

aikemirv

Reaction score
What a legend!

Listen, I was a huge fan and supportive, but for some reason AFTER he retired he became deserving of a statue to some fans. I don't care about A stat. I care about the opportunities he had to move forward, starting with his first year as a starter.
You said he did not do anything - just refuting that claim!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You said he did not do anything - just refuting that claim!
In case you're not capable of reading between the lines, this was in reference to postseason success. Sorry for the confusion.
I don't care about regular season stats.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...but no one player can take an entire TEAM to the Playoffs, lots of timing, luck with injuries, opponents injurys , and just hitting your stride at the right time ...
This truth does not matter. Some will automatically dismiss it partially or completely anyway.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The Packers were down, 31-0, the following week to Atlanta one minute into the second half. They were a triage unit.

I so tire of trying to teach you football.
Romo could have put up 50 on that Packer defense if need be. Most any team could have. They were missing everybody.

The packers had 10 of their 11 starters, the players injured for the Packers?
WR Jordy Nelson
RB James Starks
C Trotte
CB Rollins

HOW THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO SAY THEY WERE MISSING EVERYBODY AND THAT YOU ARE TIRED OF TEACHING ME FOOTBALL WHEN YOU'RE THE DUMB ASK WHO HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT EVER?

I give you free football lessons and this is what you come back with? No more. I'm charging you for this knowledge for now on. I'll PM you my paypal