Twitter: We forget, selecting Zeke 4th overall was more about Romo, not Dak

DFWJC

Reaction score
You also have to factor in that the 2014 defense score three more touchdowns than the 2016 defense.

The 2014 defense also forced 10 more turnovers than the 2016 defense. And turnovers have a major impact on a teams ability to score points.

So when you factor that in, yeah the 2016 offense was just as good at scoring as the 2014 offense.

Now, yes Tony Romo in his prime was better than Dak has been so far. No argument from me there. But The games Romo did play in 2015 weren’t nearly as good as 2014 and he was coming off major injuries. Nobody knows for sure that you would get 2014 level Romo if he started in 2016.
All good points

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
lol.

The scenario. Romo is reinstated for the playoff run. On one hand, Romo is made of tissue paper like faux anatomy experts say and goes down trotting onto the field. Game over. Wait. No. There is another option. Put Prescott back in.

On the other hand, Romo survives paralysis that pseudo medical veterans know for certain would happen, boosts offensive output a TAD bit more, and helps overcome the defense’s inability to stop the opponent from regularly driving the field.

nah. Who am I kidding? The reality is Romo is always one moment away from becoming a quadraplegic. One day, he will tee off the third hole and that torque force will break his spine in two. It will happen on live tv. On CBS. Jim Nantz will shed a tear.

I am really surprised any what if Romo returned for the playoff comments have resurfaced. Such commentary was deemed outlandish at the time it only mattered. Not surprised the general understanding for physics and human anatomy remains where it has been before.

In the end, a rookie quarterback did not help accomplish (not surprising to some observers of the sport) what the veteran quarterback had never helped accomplish either before his successor’s arrival. It is the one thing both men had in common by the conclusion of the 2016 season.

Thanks Jerry Jones. Thanks Jason Garrett. Go Cowboys.

You make light of it...but Romo literally got hurt...in the first quarter, of the first pre-season game, on the first offensive drive...on the first passing play...

So the chances of Romo getting hurt in his first game back was better than average...

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kinda forgot about that until reading this tweet from Helman. Ideally, he was going be a younger, cheaper, more extended version of 2014 DeMarco Murray. Making life easier for Romo.....

I mean you gotta feel sorry for any defense that would go against R+Z.....
Jerry you old fool you ....your bad calls have us hungry now for 24 years!!!

ROMO+ZEKE= SUPERBOWL!!!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You make light of it...but Romo literally got hurt...in the first quarter, of the first pre-season game, on the first offensive drive...on the first passing play...

So the chances of Romo getting hurt in his first game back was better than average...
Was I being sarcastic? Yes. I usually am. And you are also correct describing when Romo was injured that preseason.

However there is both an incomplete and premature assumption made by you. The former is not stated but nonetheless assumed. It is more likely Romo's injury occurred to positioning of his body during his slide and the path of the directed force taken through his body into the ground. A logical conclusion suggests the tackle and the resulting injury was more a physics related causation and less an after-effect of a physiological deficit, for example, lower than normal bone density. Rationalization is the reason why 'I make light' of some individuals' unwavering belief all of Romo's injuries--or any athlete automatically labeled as 'injury-prone'--are due to him or they as being 'made of tissue'. lol.

The latter is the interconnected assumption of a sustained injury automatically predicted being a precursor of future injury. While there is no logical way of predetermining how or when all injuries occur, it is a common human trait to predict a future event based on either observed prior situations or postulated cause-and-effect. In short, some people guess and 'know' they are and will be right. How and why actual circumstances transpire are dismissed as trivial or nothing at all.

Even though I voluntarily and repeatedly rehash an analytical viewpoint, I understand the past is the past. The time for testing who was 'right' and who was 'wrong' was extinguished a long time ago by the only true decision makers for roster assignments, who are Jason Garrett and (primarily in my opinion) Jerry Jones. My sarcasm extended to both gentlemen for the directive taken in the 2016 postseason regarding the quarterback position when I 'thanked' them.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
2014 offense:
5th in yards, 7th in points, 6th in yards per drive, 2nd in points per drive and had the 12th most turnovers with the 9th best starting field position

2016 offense:
5th in yards, 5th in points, 4th in yards per drive, 4th in point per drive and had the 5th least turnovers and only the 15th best starting field position

We literally had a better offense two years later
2016 was a good offense too. But it was my personal opinion 2014 was more effective and a more seasoned group .

You’re certainly entitled to support your opinion. And these stats do a fine job of that.

I had no idea what the numbers were and not really a stat person but appears my hunches were also supported by the numbers at least marginally so.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You also have to factor in that the 2014 defense score three more touchdowns than the 2016 defense.

The 2014 defense also forced 10 more turnovers than the 2016 defense. And turnovers have a major impact on a teams ability to score points.

So when you factor that in, yeah the 2016 offense was just as good at scoring as the 2014 offense.

Now, yes Tony Romo in his prime was better than Dak has been so far. No argument from me there. But The games Romo did play in 2015 weren’t nearly as good as 2014 and he was coming off major injuries. Nobody knows for sure that you would get 2014 level Romo if he started in 2016.
That’s a good point. We really don’t know if 2016 Romo would have been as good as 2014. At least for the duration of the season. All we saw was brief drive in one game. And while it looked awesome it was a very small sample.

At least you agree that Romo in his prime was a much greater QB than Prescott has been this far. I was so proud of you when I saw this. And I’d agree with your assessment of Romo in 2015.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, I looked it up because I thought 2014 was one of highest scoring teams ever. Also I thinkyou had their ranking off on scoring. They were 5th in 2014 at 29.2ppg (0.8 behind 1st place) and 5th in 2016 (7.5ppg behind)

Both offenses where great though
Romo didn’t put up gaudy numbers in 2014. But it was what most called his most effective season mainly because for the first time really in his career the offense wasn’t as dependent on his arm making everything happen. He now had one of the best running games in the league. Which IMO provided the Cowboys with the first legit championship caliber balanced offense since the 90’s. One that threatened you in the air and on the ground.

I’m not sure what all the numbers bared out. Someone provided some stats earlier but for me those aren’t as important as how the games unfolded watching week to week. I had often been a critic of Romo but that season he came into his own. I only wish we could have held that core together for several years.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo didn’t put up gaudy numbers in 2014. But it was what most called his most effective season mainly because for the first time really in his career the offense wasn’t as dependent on his arm making everything happen. He now had one of the best running games in the league. Which IMO provided the Cowboys with the first legit championship caliber balanced offense since the 90’s. One that threatened you in the air and on the ground.

I’m not sure what all the numbers bared out. Someone provided some stats earlier but for me those aren’t as important as how the games unfolded watching week to week. I had often been a critic of Romo but that season he came into his own. I only wish we could have held that core together for several years.
Yeah, having a dominant run game to call off the dogs took the efficiency to a whole new level.

The final 6 games from December thru the playoffs

16 TDs, 0 Ints
72% completion rate
QB rating of 134

mind-bogging stuff

Last edited:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Would have produced a lot of points and kept out Defense fresh.

At least as far as the playoff game goes, Dak put up 30. That should be enough to win a home playoff game. Dak played very well in his first playoff game as a rookie. The defense failed him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least as far as the playoff game goes, Dak put up 30. That should be enough to win a home playoff game. Dak played very well in his first playoff game as a rookie. The defense failed him.
Bailey
Field Goals (3) - 9 points
Extra Points (2) - 2 points
Total 11 points

Prescott
Touchdown Passes (Bryant [2]) - 12 points
Touchdown Pass (Witten) - 6 points
TD Conversion Run - 2 points
Total 20 points

Not 30 points but Prescott's 20 offensive postseason points are still impressive for a rookie quarterback.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
If it was all about Romo. Jerry Jones should have kept Demarco Murray.

Zeke was the best offensive player on the draft board and a RB would have more impact than a CB, DL, or WR.

Zeke had just literally ran Ohio St. to a National Championship through Wisconsin for 220 yards, Alabama for 230 yards and Oregon for 246 yards. RBs like Zeke are franchise changers. Ask Ohio St. who had not won a National Championship since Maurice Clarett ran Ohio St to a championship.

Zeke was not a Romo pick. It was the right pick for the Dallas Cowboys team and organization.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Whaagh whaagh this team was built for Romo and he never got to play with it waagh waagh.

How can we forget that?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The packers had 10 of their 11 starters, the players injured for the Packers?
WR Jordy Nelson
RB James Starks
C Trotte
CB Rollins

HOW THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO SAY THEY WERE MISSING EVERYBODY AND THAT YOU ARE TIRED OF TEACHING ME FOOTBALL WHEN YOU'RE THE DUMB ASK WHO HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT EVER?

I give you free football lessons and this is what you come back with? No more. I'm charging you for this knowledge for now on. I'll PM you my paypal
@erod where you at?

You never got around to replying, must have accidently missed it

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Bailey
Total 11 points

Prescott
Total 20 points

Not 30 points but Prescott's 20 offensive postseason points are still impressive for a rookie quarterback.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Bailey
Total 11 points

Prescott
Total 20 points

So, the kicker drove the ball down the field to set up the field goals? Who knew!

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Kinda forgot about that until reading this tweet from Helman. Ideally, he was going be a younger, cheaper, more extended version of 2014 DeMarco Murray. Making life easier for Romo.....

Everything was about Tony Romo. How many first round draft picks do we trade for wide receivers.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, having a dominant run game to call off the dogs took the efficiency to a whole new level.

The final 6 games from December thru the playoffs

16 TDs, 0 Ints
72% completion rate
QB rating of 134

mind-bogging stuff
Yea if we’d of beaten Packers , Romo prob wins MVP.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree . Defense can’t give up 3rd and 20. Game over if not even if we did have a shot to score TD on previous possession. That’s the way it goes . Some credit should go to Rodgers for making the play but 3rd and 20 you just can’t give up if you want to play for a championship.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yea if we’d of beaten Packers , Romo prob wins MVP.
Easily could've won that game, but that team really needed to be playing GB at home.

Night a day between playing at home in front of your own fans indoors vs playing at Lambeau in front of their fans outdoors in January.