We must stop doing the same things with the same players- expecting different results

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This off-season is a great time to completely re-assess how this team operates and puts together a roster. What discourages me the most is this fundamentally dumb way of doing things: Keeping the same core of star players year after year, expecting different results.

What this organization needs more than “getting the band back together” is a new band!

Day after day, we see on our forum many of our fans saying we need to keep Cooper, DLaw, Zeke, Gregory, Schultz, etc, etc. And yesterday we heard Stephen Jones basically declare that this team just plans on running it back another year with the mostly the same cast, coaches, etc. Keeping all those guys has produced 1 playoff win in 7 years.

Doing the same things over and over and over and over and over….and somehow expecting different results is literally insane.

The fundamental problems with this front office:

• Believing they are just “unlucky” rather than unskilled.
  • Over-valuing their own talent.
  • Thinking they can find excellent free agents at “dumpster dive” prices.
  • Thinking the current “core” of players is critical to a SB run.
If all we want is an NFC East “title”, we are poised to “maybe” do that again.
Doing the same things over and over will keep you getting the same results.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Yep....but the way Junior is talking, its the same old, same old....so we can expect the same hype, average season record and then IF lucky to get in the playoffs.....one and done. Then wait til next year. That seems to be the ceiling for this FO. And no one is gonna make them change.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This off-season is a great time to completely re-assess how this team operates and puts together a roster. What discourages me the most is this fundamentally dumb way of doing things: Keeping the same core of star players year after year, expecting different results.

What this organization needs more than “getting the band back together” is a new band!

Day after day, we see on our forum many of our fans saying we need to keep Cooper, DLaw, Zeke, Gregory, Schultz, etc, etc. And yesterday we heard Stephen Jones basically declare that this team just plans on running it back another year with the mostly the same cast, coaches, etc. Keeping all those guys has produced 1 playoff win in 7 years.

Doing the same things over and over and over and over and over….and somehow expecting different results is literally insane.

There are 3 names on that list (Cooper, DLaw and Schutz) who likely will be be back, so how is it the same old thing?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

What it really needs is a new band leader. The old one can't hit the high notes, or write a new song, and the lead guitarist only knows one riff.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The rest of the NFC East being a joke for so long has led these two delusionists to believe they are better at what they do than they actually are.

They got all "Super Bowl or bust" after cruising through the East in a year where they probably wouldn't have made the playoffs if they swapped divisions with Seattle.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Great post Bob! Yesterday I stopped in here and the top 6-7 posts were about SJ not changing a thing; Zeke being invaluable and staying; Jerry grossly explaining the cheerleader fiasco and something about Micah taking too much and it made frustration/anger literally well up on me for all the reasons you stated. The Jones clowns think they are the smartest guys on the room despite nothing to show for it going on 3 decades, There is nothing to do. Just sit and wait for another year with a lot of talk and no substance. You can see it taking shape in Micah as he’s been on the talk circuit saying things that really make me feel like their attitude is seeping his way. Hate it

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
It’s boring and a repeat.

I can’t stand how they think there way is the right way while getting the same results
It's beyond frustrating and I'm not sure how much longer they think they can get away with this.

Maybe that's what Jerry means by "running out of time." That and being, ya know....eighty.

I signed up as a kid for what Coach Landry had going on....not this clown show.

But switching teams just can't happen, and ego boy knows all about it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In order to make effective changes, they must do something they will not allow themselves to do, admit they screwed up.

They are never at fault. But then when there are no penalties for failure, failure becomes comfortable and defensible.

coult44

Reaction score

“We” aren’t in charge and “we” don’t have any say. The only thing “we” can do is stop buying tickets and watching games on tv. But as long as “we” do, the Jones family does not care!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
In order to make effective changes, they must do something they will not allow themselves to do, admit they screwed up.

They are never at fault. But then when there are no penalties for failure, failure becomes comfortable and defensible.

FMxeMYoWYAQam1s

McKDaddy

Reaction score
But switching teams just can't happen, and ego boy knows all about it.

I signed up as a kid too .... but my love for the game exceeds my love for the organization. I have no issue at all rooting for players \ teams that strive to elevate the game.

I would like this organization to return to glory but I don't attend games or buy their merch. I'm gonna have to be won over again before I invest again. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. At least not in the short term.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If it was "that simple" every team would have one. The Jones boys have started over 20 of them since Aikman.
you are correct... it is that simple, as far as knowing what is needed. But yes, finding the right band leader is very difficult. Ask the Dolphins.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score

Honestly, after the last 26 yrs w/ Jerry, no one expects anything to change.Wash, rinse, repeat.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I don’t totally agree with you but I’ll play along…What’s your plan then?
Plan? There is no plan. The Cards used a top pick on Rosen.. then cut bait after 1 year to try again. Then they drafted Murray with a top pick and now they are already thinking he isnt the guy.

The Dolphins have been trying for 30 years. They had tannehill who kept getting hurt, then they went after Tua and now they have realized he aint the guy.

Unless you are gonna just keep drafting QBs, there is no plan.
Bengals got LUCKY. They drafted their QB, and he ended up looking like a guy who could actually be THE GUY.

BUT, look at the pick against the Niners in the playoff game. The WR was open, the throw was on the wrong side of the WR, ball was picked. Next play, Niners TD.... that is a QB issue, plain and simple.