We need a a true deep threat

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need one small quick-twitch type of receiver that can be used for Punt returns and KO returns, and we need one 4.3/4.2 guy. We have Semi though, maybe he can develop.

I’ve wanted a jitterbug speed receiver with change of direction for some time as well. Someone who is an actual punt returner as well. You can dig up posts of me campaigning for signing Ted Ginn!

One issue I’ve had with our receivers group is that they’re all pretty similar.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Your ps is the reason there is no deep threat on this team. In order for wr to become a deep threat, the qb would want to throw the ball to that wr whether he is covered or not.

Dak doesn’t want to do that and that is why the Cowboys have two route runners instead of a straight line fast wr.

Creeper

Reaction score
Or a have changing t e . Schultz is good , but does he change the Game? He dies t force defenses to change coverage. He’s good when they focus in the receivers. Now the deep threat, Gallup is considered it. But he rubs 4.51. He gets deep on double moves or on 3rd corners. The fastest guy is cooper but he got too big. We need a 3rd receiver who can beat you with speed alone. That’ll change this offense.
Ps nine if that will matter if the q b processes too slow and has inconsistent accuracy.

I just think the league has changed to the point where a 4.2 WRs is a necessity now. CBs have gotten bigger and faster. The rules favor the WRs. Cooper was supposedly fast when he was drafted but he does not look fast to me now. Even when he has the ball in his hands he doesn't run away from anybody. The argument is there are not a lot of guy who run a 4.2 and are good receivers. That would seem to be true.

Someone mentioned Anthony Schwartz. He has legit speed. I wanted the Cowboys to draft him so bad. He went earlier than I expected. The argument from others is Schwartz isn't doing anything for Cleveland. That's true. But neither did OBJ. Now look at OBJ making plays to the Rams. The problem in Cleveland is their QB. If Dak is bad, imagine having Baker Mayfield as your QB. Talk about inconsistency.

The counter argument, which I accept is, it is pointless to have a deep threat if the QB will not throw him the football. This is a valid argument. And Dak lately, has not been throwing deep very often. He didn't at all in the Cards game.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just think the league has changed to the point where a 4.2 WRs is a necessity now. CBs have gotten bigger and faster. The rules favor the WRs. Cooper was supposedly fast when he was drafted but he does not look fast to me now. Even when he has the ball in his hands he doesn't run away from anybody. The argument is there are not a lot of guy who run a 4.2 and are good receivers. That would seem to be true.

Someone mentioned Anthony Schwartz. He has legit speed. I wanted the Cowboys to draft him so bad. He went earlier than I expected. The argument from others is Schwartz isn't doing anything for Cleveland. That's true. But neither did OBJ. Now look at OBJ making plays to the Rams. The problem in Cleveland is their QB. If Dak is bad, imagine having Baker Mayfield as your QB. Talk about inconsistency.

The counter argument, which I accept is, it is pointless to have a deep threat if the QB will not throw him the football. This is a valid argument. And Dak lately, has not been throwing deep very often. He didn't at all in the Cards game.

This is classic Matt Millen team building. We are loaded at WR.........lets get more WRs!

Here is your 2022 pro bowl wrs and their 40 time

NFC

Cooper Kupp - 4.62
Devonte Adams - 4.56
Justin Jefferson - 4.43
Deebo Samuel - 4.48

AFC

Tyreek Hill - 4.29
JaMarr Chase - 4.34
Stefon Diggs - 4.46
Keenan Allen - 4.56

So, 6 out of the 8 pro bowl wrs run over 4.40. Amari Cooper runs 4.42 which is plenty fast. The last thing the cowboys need is more wrs.

Last edited:

RaZon

Reaction score
For every successful speed guy there is 10 who failed

Bob Hayes
Bob Boyd
Don Hutson
James Lofton
Lance Alworth
Don Maynard
John Taylor
Bill Groman
Mel Gray
Phil Epps
Isacc Curtis
Paul Warfield
DK Metcalf
Joey Galloway
Harold Jackson
Gene Washington both of them
Dave Parks
Sonny Randle
Cliff Branch
Vance Johnson
Warren Wells
Ken Burrough
Mark Duper
Tyreek Hill
Alvin Harper
John Stallworth
Willie Gault
Randy Moss
John Jefferson
Bobby Mitchell
Charley Taylor
Tyler Lockett
Henry Ellard
Flipper Anderson
Calvin Johnson
Antonio Brown
Julio Jones
Tim Brown
Terrell Owens

All successful speed receivers, now give me 3000 non successful speed receivers.

Big D

Reaction score
So according to your stat Dak has thrown 569 'deep balls' in 2021....interesting seeing as how he has a TOTAL of 569 passing attempts in 2021......so in other words every one of Dak's passes have been 'deep balls'......yeah,okay. Try again as that stat only is reflective of total passes by a QB, not their 'deep balls'.
Yawns, a “ deep pass” is more than 15 yards man. Nice try.
kf5Kxl9.gif

Creeper

Reaction score
I didn’t say anything about accuracy. He just hasn’t been throwing it down the field. Have you been watching? Tons of checkdowns.

Yes, this is the problem. I posted the stats from the Cards game. Dak's first pass of more then 20 yards came with 1:31 left in the first half. That was the TD to Gallup. He did not throw another one until the 4th quarter. That was it, except for the 31 yard pass from Wilson to Pollard. Now think about this. He threw 1 pass of 15 yards or more, 2 for 20 yards or more. That's out of 24 completions. So 21 of Dak's completed pass were for less than 15 yards. He threw 5 passes in the 10-15 yard range. So 16 of Dak's 24 passes were for less than 10 yards. Of course this does not include attempted passes, just completions. But I do not recall many downfield attempts. Maybe I am wrong but of the 11 incomplete attempts how many were downfield, for more than 20 yards?

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Bob Hayes
Bob Boyd
Don Hutson
James Lofton
Lance Alworth
Don Maynard
John Taylor
Bill Groman
Mel Gray
Phil Epps
Isacc Curtis
Paul Warfield
DK Metcalf
Joey Galloway
Harold Jackson
Gene Washington both of them
Dave Parks
Sonny Randle
Cliff Branch
Vance Johnson
Warren Wells
Ken Burrough
Mark Duper
Tyreek Hill
Alvin Harper
John Stallworth
Willie Gault
Randy Moss
John Jefferson
Bobby Mitchell
Charley Taylor
Tyler Lockett
Henry Ellard
Flipper Anderson
Calvin Johnson
Antonio Brown
Julio Jones
Tim Brown
Terrell Owens

All successful speed receivers, now give me 3000 non successful speed receivers.
Nice list! :thumbup:

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A fast receiver on this team is like expensive grill with no meat. USELESS!

Aftershock

Reaction score
We need a HOF o line, wr, deep threat, rb, dline, cb, coach, linebackers, edge rushers, and water boys

then and only then will dak be able to go to the sb

starfan1

Reaction score
I didn’t say anything about accuracy. He just hasn’t been throwing it down the field. Have you been watching? Tons of checkdowns.

Ok my bad misunderstood your post. he hasn't had much time to do much else but i agree with you.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I think we need a very slow runner like Witten back. Dak could sometimes throw it to him 5 yards down the field and sometimes even hit him. dak likes one read and throw. he's not much after that. go, go dakoo

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Or a have changing t e . Schultz is good , but does he change the Game? He dies t force defenses to change coverage. He’s good when they focus in the receivers. Now the deep threat, Gallup is considered it. But he rubs 4.51. He gets deep on double moves or on 3rd corners. The fastest guy is cooper but he got too big. We need a 3rd receiver who can beat you with speed alone. That’ll change this offense.
Ps nine if that will matter if the q b processes too slow and has inconsistent accuracy.

Yawn....................................

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think we need a very slow runner like Witten back. Dak could sometimes throw it to him 5 yards down the field and sometimes even hit him. dak likes one read and throw. he's not much after that. go, go dakoo

Well he runs the #1 offense in football so keep at it Dak!!!!