We need a draft lottery. I’m tired of losers being rewarded

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the current system. Though if teams are tanking for picks, a lottery for the top five picks might make some sense to keep late season games competitive.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Keep it the way it is. The only "tanking" is minor and only among a few teams that are already at the bottom - if at all. The "Suck for Luck" season of the Colts was an anomaly. If we start seeing more of that, then maybe we look at it. We haven't had the rookie contract system that long and prior to that the bottom 5 teams were saddled with high value contracts that crippled their cap situation. Nobody wanted to trade in to the top 5 picks because the value wasn't there.

Since 2000, 13 NFC teams and 10 AFC teams have played in a Conference Championship game. The parity system is working pretty well.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
What I want is for the bad teams to not get picks based on record. Give them a lottery. Look how many top 10 picks the rams, browns and jags needed to finally win( not the browns).
It’s disgusting. I wouldn’t be mad if the bottom 25 teams had a lottery.

Well. You could look at it this way.

The crapy teams drafting crapy players leaves better players for us.

Ghost12

Reaction score
No need for a draft lottery. Plenty of good picks to be had by all teams if they pick right. This isn't the NBA.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Easy fix for the NBA Lottery

Reverse order of finish get 1-14 ping pong balls for non-playoff teams

Ex- last place team gets 14 balls
14th place team gets 1 ball

But every team gets an additional ball for every game they win after the All Star game....around 24 games....gives them an incentive to win

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I like the current system. Though if teams are tanking for picks, a lottery for the top five picks might make some sense to keep late season games competitive.
No team should ever be "punished" for winning a DEC game against a Division opponent

I would do a weighted lottery but do it in tiers ..... 1-10 and 11-20 or just guarantee the most you could move up is 10 spots

That would keep the bottom 10/11 teams eligible for the #1 pick

CPanther95

Reaction score
The only ones who support the current system are the fans of crappy teams.

Not true.

It's those of us that like the parity of the NFL - not the lopsided systems they have in the minor niche sports like Basketball , Baseball and Soccer.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Every time I look at teams like the Jaguars finally making the playoffs, I think about them getting top 4 picks for 6 plus years. If you have a top 4 pick every year, you should make the playoffs.
I understand they want the league to be competitive, but should good organizations be rewarded too?
Shouldn't bad GMs and owners be punished? Why should a bad team guarantee a certain pick for themselves. I think the teams with the 10 worst records should have a equal draft lottery and the last 22 should have their own.
:thumbup:

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
How about getting a front office who knows what the hell they're doing? Take NE for example... they have picked in the bottom 5 every year for nearly 20 years. And how much hardware have they obtained? Seems like knowledge means something. You end up with a crappy dinner when you have morons doing the shopping and cooking.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The number of busts in the Top 10 makes tanking for higher pick almost pointless. Essentially trading fan interest (which means dollars) for a slightly lesser chance of making a bad pick.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Wait until you're 3-13, you'll change your tune real quick. The only reason you want a lottery is because the Cowboys have more 8-8, 9-7 years over the last decade than anybody. It would be very convenient for you.