We need a Safety

cern

Reaction score
I've been asking for a defensive nose tackle for three seasons now. You have to get pressure up the middle if you want to win this League
we won't ever have one until we get rid of Marinelli. sooner the better. let him take his position flex to the bedroom. where it belongs.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
we won't ever have one until we get rid of Marinelli. sooner the better. let him take his position flex to the bedroom. where it belongs.
I know I keep repeating this. It has to sink in sometime

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Yep.
I think Deion once said "nobody can cover anyone for 4 seconds".
You need a pass rush.

Spot on, regarding perception. Spot on.

Improving the pass rush makes everyone look and play better. It doesn't matter if we have a ball hawking S, if we can't collapse the pocket and their QB has 5-6 seconds to throw, someone will be open. We have gotten worse at the most important part of the defense, pass rush. To me at least, it's more important to upgrade at DT and DE.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
We could just as easily straw man your argument: so we have to overpay for a safety, in case we can’t find value in a safety rich class?
How does looking at multiple safeties change the point? What if there And who said overpay for a safety? I have never said overpay for a safety. In fact, after Thomas got what he got, I lobbied for guys like Tre Boston or George Iloka who would likely be cheaper, short term contracts that don't hurt your cap, present a short term upgrade and allow you more flexibility in the draft where you can still take a S there if one falls to your pick that you like and also allows you to not have to force a pick just to make sure you get a S.
Had Thomas of chosen the Cowboys, "overpay" would of never been mentioned again on these boards. :laugh:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Jeff Heath is your starter. Learn to love it
Not so sure about that. Tre Boston is both a fit and available. He doesn’t have the notoriety of Thomas, but he’s a free agent and would come at a fraction of the annual cost. He has proven experience in Gus Bradley’s single high scheme, and being only 25 yrs old, he’s still an ascending talent.

From a coverage perspective, Boston is a perfect fit. His experience and performance make him an instant starter with our Boys and would push Heath. In coverage, Boston was rated by Pro Football Focus as the NFL’s No. 9 safety last season. Heath top ranked coverage safety, came in at No. 22. Should we give Jerry a calculator?! :laugh:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Not so sure about that. Tre Boston is both a fit and available. He doesn’t have the notoriety of Thomas, but he’s a free agent and would come at a fraction of the annual cost. He has proven experience in Gus Bradley’s single high scheme, and being only 25 yrs old, he’s still an ascending talent.

From a coverage perspective, Boston is a perfect fit. His experience and performance make him an instant starter with our Boys and would push Heath. In coverage, Boston was rated by Pro Football Focus as the NFL’s No. 9 safety last season. Heath top ranked coverage safety, came in at No. 22. Should we give Jerry a calculator?! :laugh:
I didn’t know he was that young. Maybe a good fit and could work with Richard while he is still coachable...

kskboys

Reaction score
You know how it goes, it's only accurate when it lines up with your own perception of a player. Zeke is the #23 ranked RB. While we should have upgraded at safety, people should be more worried about where our pass rush is coming from next season.
That's really not how it goes. Only w/ weak arguers, and I don't pay that much attention to them.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well, can you provide anything that verifies that?
So far, all I'm getting is opinion from two guys on a fan board that don't like him.

I will give you credit for not saying he's "literally bottom 3-5" which is what the other one wrote.

If I can find it, I will post it. But his 21 (or 19 depending on the stat source) missed tackles are exceptionally high.

He’s just not a good safety. It’s perplrxing people actually think he is.

Sydla

Reaction score
And who do you think called that play. Who put him out of position

He wasn’t out of position. He was in position. If he was paying attention he would have seen his guy actually block and had Goff dead to rights.

But as is the case and a big issue with him, he lacks awareness at times out there.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Improving the pass rush makes everyone look and play better. It doesn't matter if we have a ball hawking S, if we can't collapse the pocket and their QB has 5-6 seconds to throw, someone will be open. We have gotten worse at the most important part of the defense, pass rush. To me at least, it's more important to upgrade at DT and DE.

My point, exactly. We agree.

RoboQB

Reaction score
If I can find it, I will post it. But his 21 (or 19 depending on the stat source) missed tackles are exceptionally high.

He’s just not a good safety. It’s perplrxing people actually think he is.

I'll just point out that I've said repeatedly that I understand that we need to upgrade the position.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'll just point out that I've said repeatedly that I understand that we need to upgrade the position.

But yet will be quick to defend the concept that he’s not that bad.

He is. He’s a below average starting NFL safety.

RamziD

Reaction score
Haven’t heard anything about Johnathan Cyprien. All I’ve read is that he tore his ACL and supposed to be ready for training camp. He was really good.

RoboQB

Reaction score
But yet will be quick to defend the concept that he’s not that bad.

He is. He’s a below average starting NFL safety.

No. I was defending the concept that he's not bottom 3-5 as someone else said.
I thought you were paying attention to that.

I also asked for some verification. You were kind enough to give an opinion on his tackling
standings, which is more than the window licker screaming "bing bing bing". Whatever that means... lol.

I refuse to call the player trash. Below average would be 17th or lower at his position.
That's quite a bit from bottom 3-5. That's really all I was saying.

Can't we just see what they do in the draft and leave it at that? That's what going to happen no
matter how many fans think Tre Boston and George Iloka (sp?) are the answer.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I didn’t know he was that young. Maybe a good fit and could work with Richard while he is still coachable...
I was wrong. He's 26 and will turn 27 this coming June. Not sure why I had 25 on my mind. Either way, he's still young and a great fit for our Boys. Let Heath be his backup. :D

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
According to sources, the Cowboys are talking details of a 1 year deal with this guy.

tLwRLKv.jpg

No.. seriously. Heath is trash. We desperately need a safety and all of the good possibilities are drying up.

I know you were hoping for ET Bleu. I apologize on his behalf for not taking a home state discount :). Yes we need a S. I think we'll sign a FA S AND draft one. That's the way this team floats. Wait for the second or third wave. Maybe the second wave has already happened IDK. Man it's been forever since Woody and Roy 1. Gerald Sensabaugh is even sounding good

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
If you look at the guys they're interviewing you'll see a pretty nice group of draft prospects.
They may take one as early as pick 58.

We'll sign a FA S and draft one. Competition is a good thing. Clearly ET wasn't up to competing. In a meritocracy world, he believes he earned it a la John Houseman and Smith Barney