CFZ We need to be Patient with Mike McCarthy

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know there's a hunger for an improvement in a lot of areas on this team, including with the coaches. However, let's be realistic here. We have Jerry for an owner, and we had Jason Garrett in some coaching capacity for 10+ years. I think Mike deserves at least another year or two of patience from us. Now, I know some of you think I have sausage rolls for brains, but here are some big reasons to be patient with Mike.

1. Jimmy went 1-15 in his first year and 6-10 in his second year. It can take time for a coach to implement his style and mark into the team.
  2. Mike is having to implement his mentality into a team that had Jason Garrett as HC for approximately 9 years. So, it naturally will take longer for him to implement his mentality into the team. I think we can see that starting to develop, as I shall point out in the next point.
  3. Look at some of the games we won last year. Specifically, let's look at the Chargers game, the Patriots game, the Vikings game (in particular), the Saints game, and the first of two Washington games. In the Chargers game, we were playing a flashy young QB in Justin Herbert on the road in SoFi Stadium. I daresay that it'd have been a loss with Garrett, especially with the WRs the Chargers have. Yet, under Mike and Quinn, we won. The Patriots game would probably have likely been a humiliating loss. Let's face it, we hadn't beaten a Belichick coached team before that when he's the HC, and Garrett was never a match for Belichick. Then there's the Vikings game. Now, this was one that'd have the classic earmarks of a Garrett classic. Starting QB out, completely dismantled team, completely blown out to look like we have wet spaghetti for a team, and Jerry passes it off for missing the QB and extends Garrett for another year. Yet, we won that game with Cooper Rush. Then there's the Saints game. That was more Quinn as Mike was out, but Mike's mentality probably helped, and we won that game which, under Garrett, that'd be a loss. Finally, the first Washington game. We started collapsing towards the end. With Garrett, collapses always meant a loss. We won this time though. Let's assume we lose 4 of those. We'd have been 8-9 (likely a Garrett record). The Eagles, assuming their record held even, would've been the division champs at 9-8. We'd have been out of the playoffs entirely.
  4. We have Jerry Jones for an owner. Between him and how impatient as fans can be, there's a limit to how good of a coach we can get. Do you think Belichick is chomping at the bit to coach here? Nope. So, Mike is actually a very good coach for the owner we have.
I know the season didn't end how we wanted, but it was a great season. Mike's not perfect, and no coach is. However, as far as I'm concerned, I think Mike is doing a solid job. I like what I see in TC in terms of intensity. I think gone are the days of Camp Cupcake. The physicality seems much more intense. We got an OTA practice taken away both last year and this year because we were slightly overly physical (which is ridiculous, but ok). This team looks much more aggressive now. I think, if we are patient with Mike, this can be a very good team, and I like how he's developing this team. I wish Jerry would take a chance with a trade or a FA signings with player that can start and perform highly. I think that, like the Haley deal, might be all we need to go from playoff bound to contender. He'd pull out moves to save Garrett's job, why won't he take a chance or two to help Mike take this team to the mountain?

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I get what you're saying, but Jimmy came here without ever coaching in the NFL. McCarthy has been a coach in the NFL for a long time now, and has won a Super Bowl. So, his timeline should be shorter than Jimmy's in regards to getting us to the Super Bowl. My patience is running thin. :D

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but Jimmy came here without ever coaching in the NFL. McCarthy has been a coach in the NFL for a long time now, and has won a Super Bowl. So, his timeline should be shorter than Jimmy's in regards to getting us to the Super Bowl. My patience is running thin. :D
Sean Payton's resume is identical to MM's resume. (both won one Superbowl w/a hall of Famer quarterback) Yet many want him as the new HC. o_O

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

After going on almost three decades, it is understandable why fans have lost their patience at this point. Or have just a small amount left with these Bozos.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
If Mike doesn't get it done and by that mean get past the WC round at a the very minimum, he should be fired as soon as the game ends and if it is an away game, he doesn't even get a ride back. Mike got to take over a team that was pretty well off as far as talent goes.. this is his 3rd year.. if this isn't his team by now, it never will be,, to this point, he hasn't provided any advantage over any coach that has been here since Parcells took over.. every single one of them Parcells, Phillips and Garrett have all done what Mike has done, won the division and lost lost games in the playoffs they should have won. It's not like he needed 2-3 years to rebuild the roster, the roster was ready to win when he was hired, he gets a little break due to QB 1 being injuried but last year we should have gone further than we did and if we exit early again this year, as i said, he should be gone.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I know there's a hunger for an improvement in a lot of areas on this team, including with the coaches. However, let's be realistic here. We have Jerry for an owner, and we had Jason Garrett in some coaching capacity for 10+ years. I think Mike deserves at least another year or two of patience from us. Now, I know some of you think I have sausage rolls for brains, but here are some big reasons to be patient with Mike.

1. Jimmy went 1-15 in his first year and 6-10 in his second year. It can take time for a coach to implement his style and mark into the team.
  2. Mike is having to implement his mentality into a team that had Jason Garrett as HC for approximately 9 years. So, it naturally will take longer for him to implement his mentality into the team. I think we can see that starting to develop, as I shall point out in the next point.
  3. Look at some of the games we won last year. Specifically, let's look at the Chargers game, the Patriots game, the Vikings game (in particular), the Saints game, and the first of two Washington games. In the Chargers game, we were playing a flashy young QB in Justin Herbert on the road in SoFi Stadium. I daresay that it'd have been a loss with Garrett, especially with the WRs the Chargers have. Yet, under Mike and Quinn, we won. The Patriots game would probably have likely been a humiliating loss. Let's face it, we hadn't beaten a Belichick coached team before that when he's the HC, and Garrett was never a match for Belichick. Then there's the Vikings game. Now, this was one that'd have the classic earmarks of a Garrett classic. Starting QB out, completely dismantled team, completely blown out to look like we have wet spaghetti for a team, and Jerry passes it off for missing the QB and extends Garrett for another year. Yet, we won that game with Cooper Rush. Then there's the Saints game. That was more Quinn as Mike was out, but Mike's mentality probably helped, and we won that game which, under Garrett, that'd be a loss. Finally, the first Washington game. We started collapsing towards the end. With Garrett, collapses always meant a loss. We won this time though. Let's assume we lose 4 of those. We'd have been 8-9 (likely a Garrett record). The Eagles, assuming their record held even, would've been the division champs at 9-8. We'd have been out of the playoffs entirely.
  4. We have Jerry Jones for an owner. Between him and how impatient as fans can be, there's a limit to how good of a coach we can get. Do you think Belichick is chomping at the bit to coach here? Nope. So, Mike is actually a very good coach for the owner we have.
I know the season didn't end how we wanted, but it was a great season. Mike's not perfect, and no coach is. However, as far as I'm concerned, I think Mike is doing a solid job. I like what I see in TC in terms of intensity. I think gone are the days of Camp Cupcake. The physicality seems much more intense. We got an OTA practice taken away both last year and this year because we were slightly overly physical (which is ridiculous, but ok). This team looks much more aggressive now. I think, if we are patient with Mike, this can be a very good team, and I like how he's developing this team. I wish Jerry would take a chance with a trade or a FA signings with player that can start and perform highly. I think that, like the Haley deal, might be all we need to go from playoff bound to contender. He'd pull out moves to save Garrett's job, why won't he take a chance or two to help Mike take this team to the mountain?
Mac is down the list of worries for this team.
Oline is my # one concern at the present.

Motorola

Reaction score

Left off Reason #5 -
Jason Garrett got a full decade as head coach to get it dine.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ok, Mrs. McCarthy's message was received, and just so you know our owner Mr.Jones thinks your husband is an excellent front/Yes man for the team!!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Mike's been here two years. The first year was impossible with the worst injury year in forever, including his starting QB. The second he went 12-5.

Yet people have less patience for him than they did for that fraud Garrett, who could only go 8-8 against a terrible division his first three years.

I'll never understand it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Nobody wants another guy getting 10 years and doing nothing, but we've seen a half dozen head coaching changes since the last time Dallas made any noise in the playoffs. I don't think changing coaches every 2-3 years is going to make a difference as long as they have to operate under the inherent constraints of the Cowboys organizational structure.

There's no urgency in the front office, except maybe a bit now for Jerry's race against Father Time. Still, no one is getting fired if the team falls short of expectations, again. The same two guys will keep making personnel decisions and the coach will have to work around it. It's not a recipe for success, as they have demonstrated for almost three decades.

Big_D

Reaction score
Nobody wants another guy getting 10 years and doing nothing, but we've seen a half dozen head coaching changes since the last time Dallas made any noise in the playoffs. I don't think changing coaches every 2-3 years is going to make a difference as long as they have to operate under the inherent constraints of the Cowboys organizational structure.

There's no urgency in the front office, except maybe a bit now for Jerry's race against Father Time. Still, no one is getting fired if the team falls short of expectations, again. The same two guys will keep making personnel decisions and the coach will have to work around it. It's not a recipe for success, as they have demonstrated for almost three decades.

5 years is a legit window unless the wheels completely fall off in year 3 or 4. But heading into year 3 the overall team looks better than it has in quite some time!

75boyz

Reaction score
I'm personally not a fan of his.

But big picture wise, the path to NFL success begins and ends with the GM,HC and QB1 all out performing their 31 other peers in a given year.

Some on this board believe 1 of the parts of this triangle is the problem. While others believe 2 of them and still others believe all 3 are the problem.

Just a matter of where your opinion is at in this discussion.

Because there is a problem.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Mike's been here two years. The first year was impossible with the worst injury year in forever, including his starting QB. The second he went 12-5.

Yet people have less patience for him than they did for that fraud Garrett, who could only go 8-8 against a terrible division his first three years.

I'll never understand it.

If you dont' understand the difference in what Garrett started with vs what Mike started with, no point in discussing football at all. The bottom line is this, Garrett didn't get it done but he did build a pretty talented team. Big Mike was brought in to get the team over the hump, the hump that Garrett couldn't get over, even with good teams and good regular season results, they always faltered in the playoffs.. if Mike can't get us over the hump and start building on success, last year was a disappointment with the WC round exit, to keep his job, he needs to do better, it's a talented team and a weak conference this year. If they don't get the NFCCG I will consider it a total failure of a season but at least get to the divisional round, if he can't get this team (baring any major injuries) to at least the Divisional round, what's the point, might as well just kept Garrett.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Still, compared to Garrett, we have a much better coach.