1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Week 1: Connor Williams highest graded

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by PAPPYDOG, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Professional Positive Naysayer

1,419 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    I don’t like the OL coach. Didn’t like him as a head coach either. Seems to be a retread.

ConstantReboot, maryquality and BAT like this.
  2. exciter

exciter Well-Known Member

3,024 Messages
    2,310 Likes Received
    Williams had a total of 10 holding calls in his 1st 3 seasons, 5 of those as a rookie. Suddenly he has 11 last year. What changed… other than at least 4 were atrociously bad calls!

charron, BAT and thunderpimp91 like this.
  3. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    38,079 Messages
    96,723 Likes Received
    Yes....we should have kept him and coached him up....

charron and Captain-Crash like this.
  4. Brax

Brax Well-Known Member

5,275 Messages
    5,348 Likes Received
    Funny, I’m at the point of believing OL coach is the problem and the techniques he’s known for. He’s a bff of MM so nothing changing .

BAT and stilltheguru like this.
  5. FVSTONE

FVSTONE Well-Known Member

2,149 Messages
    1,628 Likes Received
    Good coaching was all he needed! Unfortunately, the Boys don't have that on this team.................

BAT likes this.
  6. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

19,242 Messages
    15,222 Likes Received
    Philbin strikes again!

Or is that strikes OUT again?

Pass2Run and Risen Star like this.
  7. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

19,242 Messages
    15,222 Likes Received
    Jerry is pulling a McCarthy.

HILARIOUS!!!

charron likes this.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    76,228 Messages
    166,129 Likes Received
    Philbin is awful and won't be here next year.

Ring6, Cowboy06, Pass2Run and 2 others like this.
  9. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

3,768 Messages
    2,741 Likes Received
    Our offensive line coache is bad and not enough people talk about it but it's one of Big Mike's hires he needs to be gone

BAT likes this.
  10. beware_d-ware

beware_d-ware Well-Known Member

6,100 Messages
    7,326 Likes Received
    It was kind of a forehead-slap moment for me when the Dolphins announced they were playing Connor Williams at center. Like of course it made sense. How did I not think of that?

His strengths are that he's mobile, smart, and has good technique. His limitations are that he lacks power and has short arms. The arm length prevents him from playing left tackle, the strength limitations cap him out at guard, but at center? Boom. That's the fit.

11. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard

33,950 Messages
    29,553 Likes Received
    What does that have to do with current Cowboys football? I don't look back like that. It's irrelevant to the team today.

12. CoachD

CoachD Well-Known Member

1,848 Messages
    1,916 Likes Received
    Of course he was he's no longer in Dallas.

Sheepherder, PAPPYDOG and BAT like this.
  13. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

27,261 Messages
    27,485 Likes Received
    Bingo. I keep saying phlibin is not the guy. He is a zone blocking and we need to be a power running guy. MM thinks he can recreate the packers team with Dak. Dak is not rogers. Its not our style.

BAT likes this.
  14. JustChip

JustChip Well-Known Member

4,736 Messages
    4,319 Likes Received
    Actually, it does. It speaks to the abilities, or lack, of the coaching staff. Especially Philbin, but Big Mike is ultimately responsible. Friend ir not, Jimmy would crap can anybody if they were an impediment to the team. And canning Nolan isn’t an example of Mike doing that. Jerry nade that decision (as with all personnel) and Mike just implemented it. Just as Moore is here because Mike had to keep him to get the job.

BAT likes this.
  15. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

9,915 Messages
    10,491 Likes Received
    I'm not really sure how to respond. I watched last night's game and there was literally blatant holding by OL on both sides on almost every single play and the one I did see them call was probably the weakest one I saw all night. There were neck ties, horse collars, bear hugs right out in the open all night long. Tampa got away with alot of the same thing against Parsons. Its just not consistent across each game.

Proof, Haimerej and BAT like this.
  16. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

25,060 Messages
    19,147 Likes Received
    I’m no football guru, but lack of strength seemed to be his main deficiency, and playing him at guard really seemed to be a spot that would magnify that deficiency. He was a very marginal player at guard for us.

I am surprised that the Cowboys didn’t at least try him at tackle or center on any meaningful basis.

As a side note, it is odd how often this message board (as a group) keys in on something that the coaching staff just flat out can’t see or refuses to see.

I know they have more overall info than we do, but it’s amazing how often fans see something that the coaches can’t.

17. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard

33,950 Messages
    29,553 Likes Received
    Live by the sword, die by the sword. Mike also brought in Dan Quinn so don't fail to give him credit for that.

JustChip and BAT like this.
  18. charron

charron Well-Known Member

10,767 Messages
    11,250 Likes Received
    Glad he's doing well and hope he keeps it going.

BAT likes this.
  19. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

16,205 Messages
    21,094 Likes Received
    We need a full house cleaning on offense, but isn't going to matter when Jerry and son are the one selecting the replacements.

Great place to be as a fan.

Tell me you're gonna roll your sleeves up Jerry. We will all feel great. You're the best.

20. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

19,242 Messages
    15,222 Likes Received
    Cowboys need to play hybrid - both ZBS and power man.

Like we did under Callahan and Columbo.

glimmerman likes this.