Week 1: Connor Williams highest graded

erod

Reaction score
Apparently we had fun in the wrong position all along just like Dak.

(ducks)

rambo2

Reaction score
Connor looks like the only player lost that will do well.

quickccc

Reaction score
Cowboys need to play hybrid - both ZBS and power man.

Like we did under Callahan and Columbo.

i recalled Cahallan being more zone block than power block ..and Columbo a definite man-power blocker; don't remember any reference with zone with him.

Because Columbo was a man -block guy, and not a zone guy, McCarthy wanted his own GB zone scheme here with his long time OC guy in Joe Philibin.

Despite Columbo helping produced the 5th best run attack in NFL and the Second least sacks allowed in the NFL in 2019.

Maybe it depends upon whose zone scheme and whose power-block scheme ?
Maybe it depends upon the coaching techniques and attention to detail ?

i recall an urgent mid season OL coach change here from scraping Paul Alexander's high- low techniques to a more simple emphasis with Columbo's
man power scheme en route to 2019 high productivity.

quickccc

Reaction score
i wanna see Conner Williams' week to week evaluation.

Jerry is scouting and eye ballin' very recent Cowboys players' weekly performances for a reason... :rolleyes:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
i recalled Cahallan being more zone block than power block ..and Columbo a definite man-power blocker; don't remember any reference with zone with him.

Because Columbo was a man -block guy, and not a zone guy, McCarthy wanted his own GB zone scheme here with his long time OC guy in Joe Philibin.

Despite Columbo helping produced the 5th best run attack in NFL and the Second least sacks allowed in the NFL in 2019.

Maybe it depends upon whose zone scheme and whose power-block scheme ?
Maybe it depends upon the coaching techniques and attention to detail ?

i recall an urgent mid season OL coach change here from scraping Paul Alexander's high- low techniques to a more simple emphasis with Columbo's
man power scheme en route to 2019 high productivity.

Scheme needs to fit personnel.

Cowboys played both ZBS and PBS under Callahan.

Went from PBS in 2012 to ZBS in 2013 and beyond. But Callahan started using both schemes to change up and become less predictable.

https://sportdfw.com/2013/09/09/understanding-dallas-cowboys-new-zone-blocking-scheme/

Callahan has experience with both MBS and ZBS and began to install a little ZBS last season. This season he really emphasized it making it a key to success in the Dallas Cowboy’s run-game ... Most teams in today’s NFL run a combination of ZBS and MBS. Like most things in the NFL, if your opponent knows you always run a MBS they can easily find ways to take advantage (typically by stunting and blitzing). Likewise if you run all ZBS, opponents will expect the double teams and adjust accordingly. Trickery and deceit are no longer solely for defenses now. Offensive linemen use it too.

Cowboys then went through THREE o-line coaches after driving Callahan away, finally settling on Marc Columbo who finally got the OL back on track.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/11/nfl-cowboys-offense-jason-garrett-scott-linehan-bill-callahan

Cowboys then fired Columbo with McCarthy hire and brought in Philbin which also not coincidentally signaled the end of the OL dominance, each season getting increasingly worse.

FYI - Philbin is a ZBS coach. But not all ZBS coaches are created equal.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apparently we had fun in the wrong position all along just like Dak.

(ducks)
Dak should be put on the cheerleader's squad cause his RA RA RA RA and fist fives really get the offense motivated!!!:banghead:

JustChip

Reaction score
Live by the sword, die by the sword. Mike also brought in Dan Quinn so don't fail to give him credit for that.
He deserves some credit for Quinn. How much is the question. Was it totally Mike’s idea, or did Jerry strongly suggest Mike take a look at Quinn?

shabazz

Reaction score
Incredible a guy goes from being the most penalized player in the league, changes teams and his offense is called for ONLY ONE offensive penalty all game. He had ZERO penalties all game despite changing positions.

all it takes is playing in a helmet without a star…….it’s that simple

Creeper

Reaction score
Jerry is pulling a McCarthy.

HILARIOUS!!!

I watched him too. He played on a bad ankle and looked like he was wearing cement shoes. He was on the ground as much as he was on his feet but he had some good moments. He looked rusty but played the entire game including overtime.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I watched him too. He played on a bad ankle and looked like he was wearing cement shoes. He was on the ground as much as he was on his feet but he had some good moments. He looked rusty but played the entire game including overtime.

1 pressure is all you need to know.

GINeric

Reaction score
Told you Arlington Jonesboys fans it is not the players...talk to your owner, president, de facto Head Coach and GM.
7924de50-2254-11ed-bbaf-47de40ee3e1d

They know that, but they prefer to blame the players.

Reactions: BAT

quickccc

Reaction score
Scheme needs to fit personnel.

Cowboys played both ZBS and PBS under Callahan.

Went from PBS in 2012 to ZBS in 2013 and beyond. But Callahan started using both schemes to change up and become less predictable.

https://sportdfw.com/2013/09/09/understanding-dallas-cowboys-new-zone-blocking-scheme/

Cowboys then went through THREE o-line coaches after driving Callahan away, finally settling on Marc Columbo who finally got the OL back on track.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/11/nfl-cowboys-offense-jason-garrett-scott-linehan-bill-callahan

Cowboys then fired Columbo with McCarthy hire and brought in Philbin which also not coincidentally signaled the end of the OL dominance, each season getting increasingly worse.

FYI - Philbin is a ZBS coach. But not all ZBS coaches are created equal.

As i mentioned, there may be different kinds of zone block schemes,
The Packers zone block is a different element than a Callahan, or Kyle Shanahan zone scheme

Maybe Callahan does hybrid block but even the article you posted per Callahan made mentioned that Bill's " zone scheme" is a thing of legendary.
ex-Cowboys OL coach and current Bengals OL coach Jim Pollack was a discipline of Callahan and he may have ran a hybrid OL scheme of sort
but just like Cally, it's gonna be more of one vs the other,

- And this Packer zone scheme may be ill-suited for a power oriented guy such as Tyler Smith.

- Oddly this run game design is utterly nuthin' that was in McCarthy run game scheme in GB ..
Philibin was more the OC than an OL coach, as long time OL Coach James Camben served in that role in GB
and the GB run scheme involved a number of misdirection runs and well designed RB screens - sumthin' that Kellen seems horrid at.. !!

- Frankly i wouldn't mind bringing in a Mike Munchak or even a Columbo to a power-scheme again
after the season. i know Philibin has an assistant OL coach but i really want a productive solo OL coach.

- Only thing with Columbo's take no prisoners demeanor, it may have to be certain HCs that has to be able to handle and deal with him
Ditto for Munchak as well , as he's had incidents with pulling opposing players' dreadlocks
Ironically i believe neither of the aforementioned guys are currently employed with an NFL team .

KDM256

Reaction score
I miss Bill Callahan coaching this OLine so bad and it pisses me off Jerry didn't want to pay this man when it was time.

Chubb and Hunt definitely reaping the rewards these days

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I miss Bill Callahan coaching this OLine so bad and it pisses me off Jerry didn't want to pay this man when it was time.

Chubb and Hunt definitely reaping the rewards these days
Yup hes one of the best

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
To be honest I thought the other Ty Smith played admirably in Tron's place for his first ever start.

And that after they had him playing G all offseason.

His play would have been encouraging if he had practiced LT all offseason. After barely playing LT since college, his performance was remarkable.