Week 1: Connor Williams highest graded

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
With all due respect, what a bunch of hogwash!

Here is what Ravens GM, Ozzie Newsome, had to say about Centers:

In recent years,[when?] the importance of centers for a football team has increased, due to the re-emergence of 3–4 defenses. According to Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, "you need to have somebody who can neutralize that nose tackle. If you don't, everything can get screwed up. Your running game won't be effective and you'll also have somebody in your quarterback's face on every play."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_(gridiron_football)

This also was said about Centers in the media:

Attributes of a Good Center

Centers: The center is the leader of the offensive line. You will see that centers are often amongst the smartest members of a football team (just ask Matt Birk). The center is responsible for making the line calls, and blocking adjustments pre-snap. Not only are they asked to adjust the scheme accordingly, but they also must take on the teams nose tackle in a 3-4 look, double team, or tandem block along side the guards, or get to the second level to cut off a linebacker.

In pass protection, the center, if left uncovered, is asked to keep his head on a swivel, and help with any defender who may come free, or any player left unaccounted for on a blitz or stunt. In the running game, they need to be strong enough to move a 340 pound defensive tackle, and quick enough to scoop a gap defender.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2013/6/5/4398298/attributes-of-a-good-center

FYI, I played Center in high school (All State). You most definitely have to be amongst the strongest (legs, core and upper body strength) to handle big nose tackles and make sure you don't get driven back both in either run or pass blocking for various reasons explained up above. If not, you will definitely disrupt any rush or pass attempts since you are the closest lineman to both the QB and RB.

Blocking nose tackles is the most difficult thing physically that a center has to do. Most of the time the centers receive help because of the disadvantage, but some are certainly able to handle it on their own. Good defenses try to isolate the center, though, especially the less powerful centers. You may believe it is hogwash, but it was NFL linemen who said what I quoted, not a former tight end.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
WIlliams was an average NFL guard. SOme things he was decent at and other things he wasn't. He never was going to be able to anchor against big guys....compare him to rookie Tyler Smith, who had some guys get under his pads but he was still able to sit down and stop the charge.

Praxit

Reaction score
....ah..ha! way to prime a situation. Just wait a few more games. Wont be any more talk of Connors.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Blocking nose tackles is the most difficult thing physically that a center has to do. Most of the time the centers receive help because of the disadvantage, but some are certainly able to handle it on their own. Good defenses try to isolate the center, though, especially the less powerful centers. You may believe it is hogwash, but it was NFL linemen who said what I quoted, not a former tight end.
I understand, but that ex-NFL lineman played Guard, NOT CENTER, so he's definitely going to be biased. As a Center, when you have a big monster NT right on your nose who is coming hard at the snap of the ball, you better believe you had be plenty of strong to keep from getting pushed back. If not, that will destroy any run or pass play. It is not easy having to keep your lower back balanced and with leverage without getting pushed back while having to snap the football at the same time. I bet that ex-NFL Guard would have been blown back on his buttocks if he had to ever play Center.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
WIlliams was an average NFL guard. SOme things he was decent at and other things he wasn't. He never was going to be able to anchor against big guys....compare him to rookie Tyler Smith, who had some guys get under his pads but he was still able to sit down and stop the charge.
Oh yeah? Explain how Connor Williams repeatedly anchored and blocked the NFL's best DT in Aaron Donald both in practice, live scrimmage and the playoffs, plus he did the same to Ndamukong Suh and Michael Brockers?

Let's stop with the nonsense talk saying Connor Williams can not anchor against big guys, because it's simply not true. The truth is the Cowboys seriously messed up letting Connor Williams go this past offseason, and now we are paying the price for such a ridiculously dumb decision.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Wow, sadly, you don't even know who was responsible for that sack. It was not Connor Williams. That was 100% on the Right Guard since that was his man.

And you can't read because I said Williams and the RG..the Center is usually responsible for the line calls. And Williams should have been able to do more when he saw the guy come free....but thanks for your input.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Oh yeah? Explain how Connor Williams repeatedly anchored and blocked the NFL's best DT in Aaron Donald both in practice, live scrimmage and the playoffs, plus he did the same to Ndamukong Suh and Michael Brockers?

Let's stop with the nonsense talk saying Connor Williams can not anchor against big guys, because it's simply not true. The truth is the Cowboys seriously messed up letting Connor Williams go this past offseason, and now we are paying the price for such a ridiculously dumb decision.

Aaron Donald isn't considered a big DT...he is 6 foot nothing, 284 pounds. LMAO. You don't even know who you are talking about. Brockers has been under 300 lbs most of his career. So, Conner had a good day in a scrimmage. How did the line play in actual games against the Rams? LMAO. Williams biggest liability is his lack of an anchor and always has been in the pros, but go on being delusional. I guarantee you were not praying that the Cowboys would pay Williams the contract the Dolphins did.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Aaron Donald isn't considered a big DT...he is 6 foot nothing, 284 pounds. LMAO. You don't even know who you are talking about. Brockers has been under 300 lbs most of his career. So, Conner had a good day in a scrimmage. How did the line play in actual games against the Rams? LMAO. Williams biggest liability is his lack of an anchor and always has been in the pros, but go on being delusional. I guarantee you were not praying that the Cowboys would pay Williams the contract the Dolphins did.
Connor Williams new contract with the Dolphins:

$14.04 million over two seasons with $8.54 million guaranteed.

Hell yeah, that's a good deal for a young, healthy and in his prime starting Center who can also play Guard or Tackle if needed! But I bet you prefer to pay almost $14 million a year for an old and now oft-injured player like Tyron Smith who is once again injured for a majority of the season even though the season barely started???

Just be quiet!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And you can't read because I said Williams and the RG..the Center is usually responsible for the line calls. And Williams should have been able to do more when he saw the guy come free....but thanks for your input.
Connor Williams made the right call. The problem is the Right Guard totally whiffed his block! How can you expect a Center to get to that bullrushing DT on time?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Connor Williams new contract with the Dolphins:

$14.04 million over two seasons with $8.54 million guaranteed.

Hell yeah, that's a good deal for a young, healthy and in his prime starting Center who can also play Guard or Tackle if needed! But I bet you prefer to pay almost $14 million a year for an old and now oft-injured player like Tyron Smith who is once again injured for a majority of the season even though the season barely started???

Just be quiet!

Show me any post you made over the start of free agency saying Dallas should pay Conner Williams that money.