CFZ Week 2 Preseason Observations, Cowboys vs. Chargers

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We're about one week away from cutting the roster down to 53. If you ask me, things are looking up for us.

Last year, I finally started to see enough talent on the team to make a run. And we started to do that, but then penalties killed us.

Speaking of penalties, I really didn't think that was a priority in yesterday's game. In fact, I think McCarthy is onto something when he says, "it's the preseason." Well, because it is. There's nearly 100 players out there. All the flags from the refs last week reminded me of the proverbial busy body neighborhood types.

17 flags total.

Total Karens.

That's on the refs.

But back to the point.

Here are my observations

Tight Ends

Say what you will. It's preseason, and we need to wait and see or it's too early to tell anything.

Barring injury, Jake Fergeson will play a long time in the NFL. And he will make more than one Pro Bowl. Sometimes, you can just tell when a player has it. To me, Jake Fergeson is one of those players. He's already there, and he feels comfortable playing at the NFL level.

That said, I think it's possible that Hendershot challenges unless McKeon, if we end up keeping four tight ends. And I think we may since it looks like opposing teams will see quite a bit of 12 personnel.

Tyler Smith

Tyler Smith is like Jake Fergeson. As in, the talent is obvious.

It's early. And it's his rookie year. But I think Tyler Smith is the same kind of player during his career. I can see him playing several years, and attending multiple Pro Bowls. He was simply dominating in the run game again.

That will be the Cowboys bread and butter: running and (hopefully) stopping the run.

Jalen Tolbert

Everyone is down on Tolbert. But he will be fine. I'm not going to make any certain claims about Tolbert. But I'll just say I liked what I saw last night while he was in there. I don't think you can put too much on any player in the preseason, and it'll likely be him who gets the not at #2 going into week one.

I also think he's ultimately up for the challenge.

I think several guys will compete for the 3rd spot, including Kavante Turpin.

Kevante Turpin

This should also be obvious to everyone. This guy changes the dynamic of our team. This guy helps you win games. This guy will be . . . unstoppable, at times, on kick and punt returns. I don't want to say he's the next coming of Deion Sanders, but he's the next coming of Deion Sanders in the return game.

Watch and see. This guy has what it takes. If he can somehow avoid injuries, he's going to be an effective gadget/utility guy. Great pick up by the Cowboys. I like their style, too. USFL guy, cheap contract, low risk, high reward. And, boom, the reward is there. You could see it all over McCarthy's face.

Israel Mukuamu, and Daron Bland

I liked what I saw last year from this player. And I like what I'm seeing this year. I think you have to keep he and Bland, and I think you also have to find ways to get them on the field. With both players, you can plug them in and not lose much. Both solid players, who could end up starting.

Dante Fowler and Trysten Hill

I've heard a lot of talk about cutting Hill and Fowler, but the Cowboys have no business doing that. And I don't see the Cowboys doing it either. Fowler has been a force out there. And I don't see what people are complaining about with Trysten Hill. When he's out there, he's doing just fine.

Will Grier

Cooper Rush stepped it up several notches for the preseason game. But Grier showed why he'll win the #2 spot, which makes me feel a lot better than rolling with Cooper rush. He throws a nice ball. Not quite like DiNucci, but he plays under pressure. And to me, when I look at quarterbacks, I'm peaking at things like their mentality from pre-snap, in the huddle, and under pressure. If a player can play under pressure with the right mentality, then that's what I'm looking for. Grier has that, more so than Rush and DiNucci.

Malik Davis

I liked Malik Davis last week. But I liked Shampklin slightly better in that game. Against the Chargers, I think Malik Davis has already earned the number 3 spot. You could start that guy, and have success behind our line. His running style is strong, he has a deceptively fast burst despite his 4.7 40 time.

If Zeke gets the same injury he had last year, just sit him, and give me Malik Davis. I'm smitten over this player. And he's a big reason why I like our chances at success this year. Because we're not dependent on Zeke. He's easily the 3rd best back on the team.

Final Roster

I'm interested to see how the Cowboys play the 53. And people can talk about how the Cowboys lack talent all they want. we've got depth at almost every position.

The one thing I've been critical of the Cowboys recently has been Dak's success against winning teams. Dak Prescott is your proverbial bus driver type of quarterback. To win, he has to have a good team around him. And I think the Cowboys have quietly assembled a nice team in 2022.

As a fan, I've watched this team for around 30 years. And I like our chances this year as good as any other year I've seen. The Cowboys are a strong team this year, talent wise. It will be up to them to get it done.

And I think McCarthy is just the kind of coach who can help Dak steer the bus in the right direction. We're an improved team from last year on defense, and special teams, and quite likely on offense as well. The additions of Tyler Smith and Ferguson via the draft really help the offense.

As unlikely as it would seem, I think our rookies increase our chances of a successful 2022.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jalen Tolbert

Everyone is down on Tolbert. But he will be fine. I'm not going to make any certain claims about Tolbert. But I'll just say I liked what I saw last night while he was in there. I don't think you can put too much on any player in the preseason, and it'll likely be him who gets the not at #2 going into week one.

I didn't disagree with anything you said but the stuff about Tolbert. I don't feel he's ready right now based on this first two games, and I don't think he'll be the No. 2. Based on who is sitting and some of the things that have been said, I think the plan for No. 2 is some combination of Noah Brown and Pollard.

Our best receiver Saturday was Brandon Smith IMO, but I don't think he makes the roster because he doesn't really get much separation. He's one of those guys who you just have to throw the ball to even if he's covered and trust he'll win it. That's not Prescott's kind of receiver. I think he ends up on the PS again.

I do think we'll have multiple receivers we'll use, and Tolbert is one of those, but the main guys we're probably planning to rely on until Gallup's return are Lamb, Brown and Pollard. Not saying I agree with that, if it's the plan, just what I feel based on observation.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I didn't disagree with anything you said but the stuff about Tolbert. I don't feel he's ready right now based on this first two games, and I don't think he'll be the No. 2. Based on who is sitting and some of the things that have been said, I think the plan for No. 2 is some combination of Noah Brown and Pollard.

Our best receiver Saturday was Brandon Smith IMO, but I don't think he makes the roster because he doesn't really get much separation. He's one of those guys who you just have to throw the ball to even if he's covered and trust he'll win it. That's not Prescott's kind of receiver. I think he ends up on the PS again.

I do think we'll have multiple receivers we'll use, and Tolbert is one of those, but the main guys we're probably planning to rely on until Gallup's return are Lamb, Brown and Pollard. Not saying I agree with that, if it's the plan, just what I feel based on observation.

In my defense of Tolbert, he hasn't had the reps with a good enough QB.

My reasoning on Tolbert is that when the QB had enough protection to allow him to get open, he did so and made the play.

He also wasn't playing with CeeDee Lamb on the field, nor Shultz or Zeke; no Dak. So it's difficult to assess. I don't think he can do anything all by himself. So I don't think we'll be able to see where Tolbert is really at until the games begin and he plays with the first team offense.

When that happens, I suspect he'll be fine based on what I already know about the player.

As usual, it's possible I could be wrong. I do see why some people aren't yet sold on the player based on preseason. I just don't think it's fair to judge him in a negative light just yet, because there seems to be other factors in play.

I think we'll have a clearer picture if/when Grier gets the start next week.

I agree Smith had a good play. But I have the same question: where does he fit in on the roster?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
In my defense of Tolbert, he hasn't had the reps with a good enough QB.

My reasoning on Tolbert is that when the QB had enough protection to allow him to get open, he did so and made the play.

He also wasn't playing with CeeDee Lamb on the field, nor Shultz or Zeke; no Dak. So it's difficult to assess. I don't think he can do anything all by himself. So I don't think we'll be able to see where Tolbert is really at until the games begin and he plays with the first team offense.

When that happens, I suspect he'll be fine based on what I already know about the player.

As usual, it's possible I could be wrong. I do see why some people aren't yet sold on the player based on preseason. I just don't think it's fair to judge him in a negative light just yet, because there seems to be other factors in play.

I think we'll have a clearer picture if/when Grier gets the start next week.

I agree Smith had a good play. But, agree. I have the same question: where does he fit in on the roster?

Well, it is fair to point out that it was primarily Rush throwing to him. It is hard to judge how a receiver will play when the QB isn't all that great.

Aven8

Reaction score
I agree about everything especially Ferg and Davis at RB. Ferg reminds me of Dallas Goedert.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I agree about everything especially Ferg and Davis at RB. Ferg reminds me of Dallas Goedert.

Figured I'd get trolled and lined out/called out for making such a "bold" claim. But, to me, it's obvious. Glad that other people can see it too. Not sure how Otton will play. But I remember McClay not being happy about it. Missing him and landing Fergeson might just be a blessing in disguise. The it factor is all over that guy.

Aven8

Reaction score
Figured I'd get trolled and lined out/called out for making such a "bold" claim. But, to me, it's obvious. Glad that other people can see it too. Not sure how Otton will play. But I remember McClay not being happy about it. Missing him and landing Fergeson might just be a blessing in disguise. The it factor is all over that guy.

It’s refreshing to see RB’s that can finally play besides Zeke and Pollard. Hopefully that will wake up Jerry’s eyes. Davis can play. All three after Pollard can play. Hardy IMO sucked and could not play last year.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It’s refreshing to see RB’s that can finally play besides Zeke and Pollard. Hopefully that will wake up Jerry’s eyes. Davis can play. All three after Pollard can play. Hardy IMO sucked and could not play last year.

Agree.

I would be fine with all three, even if we didn't have Zeke and Pollard.

This should be a lesson to Jerry to never break the bank like he did for Zeke.

Ever.

Aven8

Reaction score
Agree.

I would be fine with all three, even if we didn't have Zeke and Pollard.

This should be a lesson to Jerry to never break the bank like he did for Zeke.

Ever.

That’s what the league is unless you have Henry. In fact when he went down last season the backup never missed a beat. In Seattle they have stud RB’s every year that no one has ever heard of. I’m afraid it’s about marketing however with Zeke. I hope not.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
That’s what the league is unless you have Henry. In fact when he went down last season the backup never missed a beat. In Seattle they have stud RB’s every year that no one has ever heard of. I’m afraid it’s about marketing however with Zeke. I hope not.

It's because Jerry Jones likes to schmooze with the players, then he gets attached to them if they have any success.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We're about one week away from cutting the roster down to 53. If you ask me, things are looking up for us.

Last year, I finally started to see enough talent on the team to make a run. And we started to do that, but then penalties killed us.

Speaking of penalties, I really didn't think that was a priority in yesterday's game. In fact, I think McCarthy is onto something when he says, "it's the preseason." Well, because it is. There's nearly 100 players out there. All the flags from the refs last week reminded me of the proverbial busy body neighborhood types.

17 flags total.

Total Karens.

That's on the refs.

But back to the point.

Here are my observations

Tight Ends

Say what you will. It's preseason, and we need to wait and see or it's too early to tell anything.

Barring injury, Jake Fergeson will play a long time in the NFL. And he will make more than one Pro Bowl. Sometimes, you can just tell when a player has it. To me, Jake Fergeson is one of those players. He's already there, and he feels comfortable playing at the NFL level.

That said, I think it's possible that Hendershot challenges unless McKeon, if we end up keeping four tight ends. And I think we may since it looks like opposing teams will see quite a bit of 12 personnel.

Tyler Smith

Tyler Smith is like Jake Fergeson. As in, the talent is obvious.

It's early. And it's his rookie year. But I think Tyler Smith is the same kind of player during his career. I can see him playing several years, and attending multiple Pro Bowls. He was simply dominating in the run game again.

That will be the Cowboys bread and butter: running and (hopefully) stopping the run.

Jalen Tolbert

Kevante Turpin

This should also be obvious to everyone. This guy changes the dynamic of our team. This guy helps you win games. This guy will be . . . unstoppable, at times, on kick and punt returns. I don't want to say he's the next coming of Deion Sanders, but he's the next coming of Deion Sanders in the return game.

Watch and see. This guy has what it takes. If he can somehow avoid injuries, he's going to be an effective gadget/utility guy. Great pick up by the Cowboys. I like their style, too. USFL guy, cheap contract, low risk, high reward. And, boom, the reward is there. You could see it all over McCarthy's face.

Israel Mukuamu, and Daron Bland

I liked what I saw last year from this player. And I like what I'm seeing this year. I think you have to keep he and Bland, and I think you also have to find ways to get them on the field. With both players, you can plug them in and not lose much. Both solid players, who could end up starting.

Dante Fowler and Trysten Hill

I've heard a lot of talk about cutting Hill and Fowler, but the Cowboys have no business doing that. And I don't see the Cowboys doing it either. Fowler has been a force out there. And I don't see what people are complaining about with Trysten Hill. When he's out there, he's doing just fine.

Will Grier

Cooper Rush stepped it up several notches for the preseason game. But Grier showed why he'll win the #2 spot, which makes me feel a lot better than rolling with Cooper rush. He throws a nice ball. Not quite like DiNucci, but he plays under pressure. And to me, when I look at quarterbacks, I'm peaking at things like their mentality from pre-snap, in the huddle, and under pressure. If a player can play under pressure with the right mentality, then that's what I'm looking for. Grier has that, more so than Rush and DiNucci.

Malik Davis

I liked Malik Davis last week. But I liked Shampklin slightly better in that game. Against the Chargers, I think Malik Davis has already earned the number 3 spot. You could start that guy, and have success behind our line. His running style is strong, he has a deceptively fast burst despite his 4.7 40 time.

If Zeke gets the same injury he had last year, just sit him, and give me Malik Davis. I'm smitten over this player. And he's a big reason why I like our chances at success this year. Because we're not dependent on Zeke. He's easily the 3rd best back on the team.

Final Roster

I'm interested to see how the Cowboys play the 53. And people can talk about how the Cowboys lack talent all they want. we've got depth at almost every position.

The one thing I've been critical of the Cowboys recently has been Dak's success against winning teams. Dak Prescott is your proverbial bus driver type of quarterback. To win, he has to have a good team around him. And I think the Cowboys have quietly assembled a nice team in 2022.

As a fan, I've watched this team for around 30 years. And I like our chances this year as good as any other year I've seen. The Cowboys are a strong team this year, talent wise. It will be up to them to get it done.

And I think McCarthy is just the kind of coach who can help Dak steer the bus in the right direction. We're an improved team from last year on defense, and special teams, and quite likely on offense as well. The additions of Tyler Smith and Ferguson via the draft really help the offense.

As unlikely as it would seem, I think our rookies increase our chances of a successful 2022.

it all sounded good till you blew it with dak as a bus driver. He is the opposite. All qbs need great players around them. Do you even know what a bus driver is?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
it all sounded good till you blew with dak as a bus driver. He is the opposite. All qbs need great players around them. Do you even know what a bus driver is?

I know exactly what a bus driver is.

And that's exactly what Dak is. The only issue here is that you're applying connotations and taking offense to it. Being a bus driver isn't necessarily an insult, it's being realistic enough to know the limitations of your QB.

The only thing wrong about saying Dak is a bus driver is that people get upset about it. But that doesn't make it wrong.

To his credit, he's pretty good at driving the bus.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

And that's exactly what Dak is. The only issue here is that you're applying connotations and taking offense to it. Being a bus driver isn't necessarily an insult, it's being realistic enough to know the limitations of your QB.

The only thing wrong about saying Dak is a bus driver is that people get upset about it. But that doesn't make it wrong.

He is 100% not a bus driver buddy. You obviously don’t know what a bus driver is.

It’s not about being upset. You are just so far off it’s comical.

bus drivers don’t throw for 300 yards per game and break cowboys all time passing records.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He is 100% not a bus driver buddy. You obviously don’t know what a bus driver is.

It’s not about being upset. You are just so far off it’s comical.

bus drivers don’t throw for 300 yards per game and break cowboys all time passing records.

Sure they do.

That's not what being a bus driver is about.

Irony here is rich.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Dak Prescott a bus driver?

I think he is a leader. I never considered him a bus driver. He can still make plays when some of the top offensive weapons are not on the field. He is well respected on the team and around the NFL.
I do not recall anyone, as to the media calling him a bus driver. Except a few of the extremists maybe a few times.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think he is a leader. I never considered him a bus driver. He can still make plays when some of the top offensive weapons are not on the field. He is well respected on the team and around the NFL.
I do not recall anyone, as to the media calling him a bus driver. Except a few of the extremists maybe a few times.
Agreed!

jimmy garrappollo is a bus driver. Dak is definitely not a bus driver.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score

Great write-up as always man.