Well, Jerry, did you notice the DLine this time?

kskboys

Reaction score
Great defense starts with DTs

Rams already had the best DT in Donald but signed Suh in FA

Eagles already had the second best DT in Cox but signed Jernigan last year and Ngata this year

We think average players like woods and Collins will do it for us

Stupid stupid decisions by our FO
It's obvious we need more CB's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Well they did mention interest in DT and S as positions they’d like to improve. But do I think they’ll go get that big dominating DT they really need? No...it will be more of the same.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Is a late 2nd round pick going to out produce Collins or woods? Maybe there is an argument there, but I couldn't expect more than what we have now out of what would likely be the 5th-7th DT taken in the draft.

Should have gotten both or at least one of the skins 2 DT's taken in the last draft instead of another DE.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Maliek Collins basically played on one leg this year. He's in a contract year in 2019 so he will probably play lights out.

David Irving is so, so talented but just doesn't have the drive to get himself right to play week in, week out.

I love Demarcus Lawrence and he is an upper echelon player but we have to stop talking like he's Aaron Donald, Fletcher Cox, and JJ Watt. He's up there, but he's not elite and I hope they don't pay him like he is elite.

Randy Gregory really improved but he has to get consistent.

Taco Charlton is a rotation guy; wish he was more but so far, that's all he is.

Tyrone Crawford is likable, respected by his teammates and coaches BUT is way too overpaid for what he actually produces. Pay cut or release. That money could be better spent elsewhere.

Antwaun Woods played over his head. No reason he shouldn't get another shot to do it again next year.

Caraun Reid is a JAG. He played way too many downs for us.

Daniel Ross is a solid, affordable rotation guy.

Dorance Armstrong showed some flashes and should be more of a factor next year.

Could easily use 1 or 2 new faces on the D Line next year.

Kalyan

Reaction score
Please dump Irving. He is a great talent but, sadly, will only contribute distraction as the games become more important.
Its the message the FO and HC is sending the team by carrying the premium slots for Irving and Rico Gathers that bothers me. Give chance to hungry players on other people practice squads that can help us next year

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
I hope so.
Dontavius Russell,Auburn.
Chris Nelson,Texas.
Albert Higgins,Clemson.
Brian Mone,Michigan.

DE/3T types I like
Jaylon Ferguson,La Tech...DE.
Demarcus Christmas,Fsu....DE/DT.
Issiah Buggs,Alabama...DE/DT.
Christian Rector,Usc...DE.

one to replace Irving....but first I get the run stuffer.
I like Russell,Auburn.

Yep. Get a stuffer to sub in and out with Woods. Get a replacement for Irving and competition for Collins.

Per the norm, draft another rush end to compete with Armstrong/Taco/Gregory/Crawford and/or replace Tank when he goes to the Colts this offseason...

cowboyec

Reaction score
Yep. Get a stuffer to sub in and out with Woods. Get a replacement for Irving and competition for Collins.

Per the norm, draft another rush end to compete with Armstrong/Taco/Gregory/Crawford and/or replace Tank when he goes to the Colts this offseason...
agree.
if we loose DLaw...Jaylon Ferguson would be my target.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Maliek Collins basically played on one leg this year. He's in a contract year in 2019 so he will probably play lights out.

David Irving is so, so talented but just doesn't have the drive to get himself right to play week in, week out.

I love Demarcus Lawrence and he is an upper echelon player but we have to stop talking like he's Aaron Donald, Fletcher Cox, and JJ Watt. He's up there, but he's not elite and I hope they don't pay him like he is elite.

Randy Gregory really improved but he has to get consistent.

Taco Charlton is a rotation guy; wish he was more but so far, that's all he is.

Tyrone Crawford is likable, respected by his teammates and coaches BUT is way too overpaid for what he actually produces. Pay cut or release. That money could be better spent elsewhere.

Antwaun Woods played over his head. No reason he shouldn't get another shot to do it again next year.

Caraun Reid is a JAG. He played way too many downs for us.

Daniel Ross is a solid, affordable rotation guy.

Dorance Armstrong showed some flashes and should be more of a factor next year.

Could easily use 1 or 2 new faces on the D Line next year.
I was with you the whole way till you said Caraun Reid is a jag. Lately he has come to play and has shown up. He may not be great but with the limited time he has played, he has not hurt them in anyway. But as you said, we need more help on the line. Might need to use FA to get it this time?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I was with you the whole way till you said Caraun Reid is a jag. Lately he has come to play and has shown up. He may not be great but with the limited time he has played, he has not hurt them in anyway. But as you said, we need more help on the line. Might need to use FA to get it this time?

He had 6 tackles in 10 games, with a 1/2 sack and 1 forced fumble all year. I don't doubt that he tries hard but he doesn't really do anything. He gets blown off the ball too much for me.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Na, Jerry follows the ball. We’ll probably be looking for an oversized RB like Anderson to compliment Zeke. Lol

That's a possibility, the Rams were CJ Anderson's 3rd team this year. I am certain we faced him when we played the Panthers. We should be embarrassed.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I get that, but who do you actually go and get? Is there a FA that's worth pursuing? Can you find a playmaking DT at the end of the 2nd round of the draft?

I just dont see a true upgrade out there.

It's true they don't come along every day, but they do come along. You have to take them when they. Suh became a FA and the Rams picked him up. We weren't interested. We've passed up good DT's in the draft because Marinelli doesn't like those big run stoppers. I guess he likes these smaller guys who call themselves HotBoyz during the regular season but can't handle the tough guys in the playoffs.
Well Mr. Marinelli, how'd that work out for you against the Rams?

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You've been claiming that our DLine is fine/great/whatever since Joe Ferguson left, and yet we keep losing at key times because we're weak up the middle. Is there any chance you noticed this one? Or is it more CB's and LB's in the draft so we can beat up on the Buccaneers?

I'm personally persuaded by the story that the Rams offense knew what our defensive line was going to do.

I know you'll always be lobbying for more dline, but that performance wasn't characteristic of what they've done for most of the year, and doesn't make for an argument for more dline. It makes for an argument to make disguising our defensive calls a priority.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I would 100% bring in ndamukong suh on a 2/3 year deal if possible.

Plays the game nasty and is a force v run and pass..

He was a handful last night ..

He was available when the Rams picked him up, and you're right, he was a handful last night. We didn't manhandle him like their OL manhandled our so-called HotBoyz.
They opened up some huge holes in our DL.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
NFL Network stated that we need a stellar DT and suggested we add Antonio Brown with Cooper. (yes!). Our OL needs to greatly improve and we also need a TE. Then get a real HC who can take us where we need to go. Everything then will fall into place.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
NFL Network stated that we need a stellar DT and suggested we add Antonio Brown with Cooper. (yes!). Our OL needs to greatly improve and we also need a TE. Then get a real HC who can take us where we need to go. Everything then will fall into place.

Yeah just 1 stellar DT would make a big difference. That would anchor 1 whole side of the line. That would be a big help.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Accept the fact that McVay and Wade (DC, yes) are superior Coaches and demoralized us. The heart of the matter.

Sydla

Reaction score
How do we go about upgrading the DT position? Honest question. Collins was solid, woods was solid. Is hankins an upgrade? Do you give Irving another shot?

I feel like we are good enough at the position that without a 1st round pick a true upgrade is near impossible .

Anyone who watched that game last night and thinks our DT are "good enough" needs to have their heads examined.

Draft another DT in the 2nd or 3rd round. Go out and grab a 1T in FA.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Anyone who watched that game last night and thinks our DT are "good enough" needs to have their heads examined.

Draft another DT in the 2nd or 3rd round. Go out and grab a 1T in FA.
If there is a FA DT that we could bring in I'm all for it. My concern is we dont have the cap space to do so after resigning our own. I could be very wrong about that, as dont have a great understanding of the cap.

A 2nd or 3rd round DT just doesnt scream success to me. If Collins or Woods were part of the draft where would they go? Probably 2nd or 3rd round. I think your getting solid players, but most likely not true consistent playmakers at that position.