Twitter: Wentz contract details

jujoboys

Reaction score
The option is front loaded though. Unless I am not understanding what you are saying? Also I think they would still be on the hook for the remaining guaranteed portion of the contract. Would Wentz become a FA if they Birds declined the option? I would think so but there is not enough details to know.

As I said in an earlier post, I think the $30 million option is nothing more than a way to manipulate the salary CAP by Howie Rosen. Saves the Eagles about $5 million on this year's CAP and dumps more of the CAP hit into subsequent years, especially 2024. There is no way they cut him after year 1 with $107 million guaranteed in the contract. All those guarantees would accelerate into year 2 and they would have a $90 million CAP hit in 2020. Of course this is based on there actually being $107 million in guarantees which is what has been reported and disputed by no one.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It is only a 4 yr extension so there is no 5th yr. Did them amend his existing contract?

Also when the option is picked up in 2020, is it equally spread across the contract like a signing bonus? Or is it applied in 2020 and cap hit would be $39.383M?
I misunderstood the team option part. When I saw team option I assumed it meant another year.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
he included 2019 and 2020 like it is one big contract
It is, they broke it down on NFL radio the other day, that big contract includes his $2 million this year, and the $25 he would have got under the 5th year option. So you take that away and the contract is much less. The cowboys don’t have that 5th year option with Dak. So it’s a trickier negotiation for the Cowboys.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
:lmao2:
33ajjn.jpg
Is that Risen in the front seat?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Even if the Eagles decide to not pick up the option next year aren't the Eagles still on the hook for $107 million of that contract? Basically the entire contract minus the $30 million option and the $16 million in incentives. It was reported that the deal contained $107 million in guarantees. If that is true then I think it highly unlikely that the option would not be picked up. In fact the option my have been put on there so the $30 million could be spread out over years 2 through 6 of the contract since I believe you are limited to spreading signing bonuses out for more than 5 years. The $16 million signing bonus would be spread out years 1 - 5 and the $30 million option would be spread out years 2 - 6. This way they can dump some of the bonus money into year 6 of the contract for CAP purposes. I don't like Howie Roseman but he is great at working the CAP space. I think this was a CAP move and not a prove it to me move by Philly.

Guarantees are different than fully guaranteed at signing. In a typical contract, you have per-game salary, and then almost everything else goes under guarantees. Let’s say on July 1st, 2022 his entire 2022 salary of 30 million is guaranteed if he’s on the roster. That counts in the 107 guaranteed money, and they can get out of it by cutting him before then.

Now if it was fully guaranteed at signing, that means they have to pay it on July 1st 2022, even if they cut him tomorrow. But that’s not the case. Roster bonuses, offseason activities bonuses, all that is guarantees that are avoidable but cutting him. So it looks like the signing bonus of 16 million is really the only guaranteed at signing guarantee here (besides the 30m$ option)

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I hate to see a young player have his career cut short because of injuries. Even if a is a egirl. He does have a hard time staying healthy. May not be built for the punishment of the NFL.
Now that he’s set financially for life, including the next couple generations, I’m okay with his injuries and a short career.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He misses a ton of games, for a part timer it is a great pay day
Yeah but he had them by the balls. They just let Nick Foles go. What was the option? Let Wentz go for Nate Sudfield?

Edit, re-reading the deal. Yea, good deal for the Eagles. not so much for him. Dang
Yeah I get the injury concerns but I would've rather betted on myself these next two years then sign that.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
Is the 30 million option year set in the uncapped year?

The 30% Rule is a structure that manages some of the hypothetical spending-spree hysteria of the end of the CBA — it was an important mechanism during the 2010 uncapped year. It dictates that the yearly salary of a contract signed through the final year of an existing CBA cannot have an annual increase of more than 30% of the salary of the final capped year.

Everything in the contract goes into the calculations of the 30% Rule, save for signing bonus. So, when we look at Carson Wentz’s deal within the context of the 30% Rule, we exclude his signing bonus, but include his option bonus in the calculations. This can help us understand why Carson has such a huge option bonus in 2020 — it allows his contract growth to fit underneath the 30% Rule’s ceiling. Note: escalators and incentives are also not considered in these 30% Rule calculations, so we can disregard them for now.

Let’s calculate out Carson’s 30% limit, shall we? The final capped year of his contract is in 2020, so his 30% figure is set at 30% of the sum of his base salary ($1.383M), roster bonus ($8M), and, critically, his option bonus ($6M).

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...gles-quarterback-nfl-comparison-cap-hit-bonus

This article offers a good break down of the contract with explanations. The incentive package is still unknown.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Yeah but he had them by the balls. They just let Nick Foles go. What was the option? Let Wentz go for Nate Sudfield?

Yeah I get the injury concerns but I would've rather betted on myself these next two years then sign that.

I think he has a real concern over injuries. Sure, he can wait and bet on himself, but any further injuries will greatly damage any future deals he might have had. In his mind, it may have simply been a good idea to take the money now. He may be young, but his injury history is a concern. The stress fracture in his back is his second, he had a similar injury in college. It may have actually been his 3rd, as there have also been reports that he had a back injury in high school as well.