We've waited for many years to see the Cowboys build the right way

Dre11

Reaction score
Lol is right, I agree with you to that point.
Jerry is finally counting how many years he has left on this rock, and he is finally handing over the reins to actual football people that are in touch with todays game

this is where I think people don't pay attention or understand the game. The NFL changes back and forth in stretches. big DLineman are the flavor for the moment, when offenses start to counter that, they revert back to the smaller quicker DLineman.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My point is teams deal with it differently. For example, we’re the only team dumb enough to pay a running back the most ever for that position while letting a much more skilled position walk away.
RB isn't a skill position? And, do you not think signing Gurley 2 years ago affected the Rams salary cap space? Or any big contract any player signs with any team? That's just not a uniquely Cowboy thing.

aria

Reaction score
not sure I agree. The best players are under contract - Dak, Coop, Zeke, DLaw, Martain, Smith

Brought in a real head coach and let him pick his staff

upgraded a safety & DT

The big lost was B. Jones. I get that one hurts but you cant have everything. There is a cap.

Quinn & Cobb hurt but you have to be able to find those guys in the draft, trade or free agency. I think it was more important to improve at DT. Besides Gregory looks to be coming back.

I have to say the Front Office is having a great offseason
The best players may be under contract but that doesn’t mean they were good contracts, specifically Zeke comes to mind and Cooper needs to play all 17 games, not just the half we’re used to seeing from him. Jaylon as one of the best players? Lol, c’mon man.

Dak isn’t really under contract and when/if he actually does sign a long term deal a lot will depend on how much we pay him and the terms.

I think in the overall picture we’re slightly worse off this year than we were last year roster wise, between the players we lost vs what we gained I can’t call it a success let alone a “great” off season.

aria

Reaction score
RB isn't a skill position? And, do you not think signing Gurley 2 years ago affected the Rams salary cap space? Or any big contract any player signs with any team? That's just not a uniquely Cowboy thing.
Yeah, and look what the Rams did with Gurley. Even when Gurley got hurt and everyone thought the Rams would be doomed, a guy sitting on his couch by the name of CJ Anderson came in and they didn’t skip a beat. The same would happen if Zeke was out.

Sure, other teams sign big contracts but. one value the RB position as much as the Cowboys have and rightfully so. Perhaps the Giants but I cringe to even think we’re as dumb as they are.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, and look what the Rams did with Gurley. Even when Gurley got hurt and everyone thought the Rams would be doomed, a guy sitting on his couch by the name of CJ Anderson came in and they didn’t skip a beat. The same would happen if Zeke was out.

Sure, other teams sign big contracts but. one value the RB position as much as the Cowboys have and rightfully so. Perhaps the Giants but I cringe to even think we’re as dumb as they are.
It didn't work out long term. And maybe it won't with Zeke. But nobody bats 1.000. The way to judge is overall effect and over time, not one deal at one moment in time, and certainly not by one deal another team made that may or may not work out the same with the Cowboys. And, realistically, many thought Byron Jones was likely to end up a salary cap casualty even before Zeke signed his contract. If Zeke had signed for an average price less than Gurley Jones still likely would have been a casualty.

Last edited:

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
None as much as Jerry, can you name me a football team more profitable than the Cowboys?
Sorry Amigo, but Jerry having the most financially successful franchise doesn't mean he is pinching pennies, not hiring players or paying his players less than the other team owners. You can't mix player salaries controlled by the CAP with profits/losses enjoyed by the owners. This is simply not the case.

aria

Reaction score
Sorry Amigo, but Jerry having the most financially successful franchise doesn't mean he is pinching pennies, not hiring players or paying his players less than the other team owners. You can't mix player salaries controlled by the CAP with profits/losses enjoyed by the owners. This is simply not the case.
I never said he was pinching pennies, he’s just an idiot when it comes to players salaries and positional importance.

BigD_95

Reaction score
The best players may be under contract but that doesn’t mean they were good contracts, specifically Zeke comes to mind and Cooper needs to play all 17 games, not just the half we’re used to seeing from him. Jaylon as one of the best players? Lol, c’mon man.

Dak isn’t really under contract and when/if he actually does sign a long term deal a lot will depend on how much we pay him and the terms.

I think in the overall picture we’re slightly worse off this year than we were last year roster wise, between the players we lost vs what we gained I can’t call it a success let alone a “great” off season.

Tyron Smith not Jaydon.. lol Im not that crazy

You didn't say about good/bad contracts but contracts.

Zeke deal I'm up in the air about. DLaw contract I think is the worst one IMO by far.

You do have to remember the offseason isn't over - the roster is not complete

But any season we fire Garrett is a GREAT offseason for me

aria

Reaction score
Tyron Smith not Jaydon.. lol Im not that crazy

You didn't say about good/bad contracts but contracts.

Zeke deal I'm up in the air about. DLaw contract I think is the worst one IMO by far.

You do have to remember the offseason isn't over - the roster is not complete

But any season we fire Garrett is a GREAT offseason for me
Haha...my bad, gotchya.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Our front office felt the need to give up a first round draft pick AND spend 20 million per year on an inconsistent WR. We also spent a 4th overall pick on an RB AND made him the highest paid RB in the NFL 2 years before his contract was up. Now we are going to make Dak the highest paid QB in football. We will be the same team we have been for 25 years. Plenty of shiny toys at the top. Thin and weak below.

Cooper has been inconsistent? When he's played 16 (or even 15 in 2018) he's had 1,070, 1,153, 1,005 and 1,189 yards receiving. He's had 6 ,5, 7, and 8 tds. Yards per catch has been 14.9, 13.9, 13.4 and 15.1. Yards per game has been 66.9, 72.1, 67 and 74.3. Last year, even with an injury, which was plain to see if anyone looked, he had career highs in all 4 of those categories.

That's consistently good, and he's going to have even better years as he gets to play under McCarthy, I would bet.

Good receivers cost money, you aren't getting a top one for peanuts. Good quarterbacks cost money, even if Dak isn't on the level of Wilson, Rodgers, etc. the cost of good quarterbacks is only going to go up.

Gotta be realistic, the days of players flocking to the Cowboys for less money because they were America's team, or could make up lesser salaries by the just about guaranteed playoff money, are over...

It's easy to sit at a computer and say I'd do this and I'd do that, if it's so easy there'd be a line at our door wanting us to be the general manager for an NFL team. Would I do exactly like Jerry has done? Probably not, but then I don't have to be accountable to millions of Cowboys fans. Good thing...

kskboys

Reaction score

That's only because they were playing us and our crapp D.

Seriously, you should look this up before trying to make a point. Anderson was 16/44 vs the Saints and 7/22 vs the Pats in the super bowl. Looks to me like you just proved the opposite of what you were trying to prove!!!!

ArtClink

Reaction score
I can't say that I'm not excited to see how this Cowboys' squad shapes up. Finally having a real head coach, and finally putting some beef on the defensive line, the Cowboys seem to be doing a repeat of something they did in 1989;
Modeling the team in the mold of the San Francisco 49'ers- and maybe even the Seahawks.
This year's squad looks as if they will be built to overpower any team they come in contact with on both sides of the ball for the first time in many years. And that's how you build a football team.
I still have my reservations at quarterback; I don't know that Dak won't let us down when it's time for him to lead.
But what they are doing is looking like they are finally serious about playing some football.
And, maybe they'll even add a fullback before it's over. Maybe not.
But this is the first time I've seen them really build as if they knew what they were doing in a long time.

I've waited 25 yrs for us to win a div rd playoff game with no end in sight.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Lol, still suffering in the past? No, I’m living in the present and being real about it.

Yeah well, so am I. The difference is I'm more optimistic about the changes that are being made than you are.
Of course I'm not predicting a Super Bowl, I just think the changes we're making are positive compared to the nonsense of the past, like dumping Garrett and hiring McCarthy, and FINALLY putting some beef on that DL for a change, and getting a new FG kicker. I also like Jarwin moving up to starter. Those are positive changes I believe will help win games this year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I can't say that I'm not excited to see how this Cowboys' squad shapes up. Finally having a real head coach, and finally putting some beef on the defensive line, the Cowboys seem to be doing a repeat of something they did in 1989;
Modeling the team in the mold of the San Francisco 49'ers- and maybe even the Seahawks.
This year's squad looks as if they will be built to overpower any team they come in contact with on both sides of the ball for the first time in many years. And that's how you build a football team.
I still have my reservations at quarterback; I don't know that Dak won't let us down when it's time for him to lead.
But what they are doing is looking like they are finally serious about playing some football.
And, maybe they'll even add a fullback before it's over. Maybe not.
But this is the first time I've seen them really build as if they knew what they were doing in a long time.
(in bold ^^^)
Screenshot-20200327-004845-Bleacher-Report.jpg

aria

Reaction score
That's only because they were playing us and our crapp D.

Seriously, you should look this up before trying to make a point. Anderson was 16/44 vs the Saints and 7/22 vs the Pats in the super bowl. Looks to me like you just proved the opposite of what you were trying to prove!!!!
You mean they were playing one of the most “talented” defenses in the league? One of the top defenses statistically?

Oh, that’s right, Stats and numbers are irrelevant unless they apply to zeke, right?

aria

Reaction score
Yeah well, so am I. The difference is I'm more optimistic about the changes that are being made than you are.
Of course I'm not predicting a Super Bowl, I just think the changes we're making are positive compared to the nonsense of the past, like dumping Garrett and hiring McCarthy, and FINALLY putting some beef on that DL for a change, and getting a new FG kicker. I also like Jarwin moving up to starter. Those are positive changes I believe will help win games this year.
I appreciate your optimism but I can’t support it, sorry. We beefed up the D line, great, but we also lost our best pass rusher and corner. How in the world do you think we got better when we lost our two best players on defense?

Sure, we added some new positions and players but nothing compared to what we lost. As I’ve said in the past, I’ve been reading for years how “talented” this roster is yet a lot of fans act like almost every player is replaceable.

Lose Byron, no big deal, he didn’t get picks but we added Poe so we’re good to go. Lose our best pass rusher, who cares? He sucked against the run so pressuring the QB is meaningless. We improved in some areas but lost a lot in others.

Dre11

Reaction score

lol...and all these folks were praising the Rams to end... lol

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I appreciate your optimism but I can’t support it, sorry. We beefed up the D line, great, but we also lost our best pass rusher and corner. How in the world do you think we got better when we lost our two best players on defense?

Sure, we added some new positions and players but nothing compared to what we lost. As I’ve said in the past, I’ve been reading for years how “talented” this roster is yet a lot of fans act like almost every player is replaceable.

Lose Byron, no big deal, he didn’t get picks but we added Poe so we’re good to go. Lose our best pass rusher, who cares? He sucked against the run so pressuring the QB is meaningless. We improved in some areas but lost a lot in others.

You seem to be so invested in the dark side that you find fault with any and every improvement the team makes. For every positive you counter with two negatives. Do you do that on purpose or it just a genetic disposition?

I don't blame anyone for being critical of how the Cowboys wasted season after seaon, especially for the last 10 years of Garrett, but when they do something right, I'm going to give 'em credit for it!
NEWS BREAK! GARRETT IS GONE! We now have a real HC who has been to the NFC championships and the Super Bowl, but you're stuck on Byron and Quinn.

After overpaying Coop, Zeke, Dlaw and most likely Dak, did you expect them to dump BIG money on Byron and Quinn as well? Do you think the cap would allow them to overpay everybody?
They're bringing in FAs to fill necessary spots to give them some breathing space for the draft. Geez aria give 'em a break. They're not done yet. If they get stupid in the draft that'll give us all something to be upset about, but they haven't got there yet!
Mike McCarthy alone is a huge improvement, and two big DTs for the 1st time in years is a big positive change.

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score
You seem to be so invested in the dark side that you find fault with any and every improvement the team makes. For every positive you counter with two negatives. Do you do that on purpose or it just a genetic disposition?

I don't blame anyone for being critical of how the Cowboys wasted season after seaon, especially for the last 10 years of Garrett, but when they do something right, I'm going to give 'em credit for it!
NEWS BREAK! GARRETT IS GONE! We now have a real HC who has been to the NFC championships and the Super Bowl, but you're stuck on Byron and Quinn.

After overpaying Coop, Zeke, Dlaw and most likely Dak, did you expect them to dump BIG money on Byron and Quinn as well? Do you think the cap would allow them to overpay everybody?
They're bringing in FAs to fill necessary spots to give them some breathing space for the draft. Geez aria give 'em a break. They're not done yet. If they get stupid in the draft that'll give us all something to be upset about, but they haven't got there yet!
Mike McCarthy alone is a huge improvement, and two big DTs for the 1st time in years is something to be happy about.
In college, I actually wrote a several page paper on being a pessimist so there’s that. Ironically, my parents are both very positive people so I can’t blame it on DNA. How long have you been a Cowboys fan? Do you blame me for being pessimistic?

This franchise has sucked hind teet for over two decades and you can’t understand why I’m not so positive about the future after Jerry over paid for the most expendable position on the field, over paid for a LB to prove a point and our two best defensemen walk because of the players/positions I just mentioned. We did finally sign two guys past their prime for the interior though and Jerry has everyone on the hook once again. It’s actually very comical hw gullible and naive some fans are. Jerry is the modern day P.T Barnum.

What am I supposed to give Jerry credit for? He fired Garrett but hired a coach who has yet to prove himself without a HOF QB. I’m not a Dak hater but he’s no Favre or Rodgers. I’m not saying MM will be a bust but until he proves himself without Rodgers or Favre bailing him out, I’m not as positive as you or others, apologies.