U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
11:27 AM Tue, Dec 09, 2008 | Permalink
Walt Zwirko
From the Associated Press:

The recession has hit the NFL.

The league said Tuesday it is cutting more than 10 percent of its headquarters staff in response to the downturn in the nation's economy.

The cuts were announced in a memo to league staff by commissioner Roger Goodell. The league is eliminating about 150 of its staff of 1,100 in New York, NFL Films in New Jersey and production facilities in Los Angeles.

Goodell said these were difficult and painful steps, but necessary in the current economic environment.

The NFL has been symbolic of the wealth surrounding professional sports, but it now joins the NBA, Major League Baseball and NASCAR in announcing layoffs.

(Let's try not to get political with this)

Boysboy

Reaction score
Interesting-I also wonder too if they end up lacking sponsors/ads for the Super Bowl, they could very well cancel that game this year?

Just thinking out loud, that's all...

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Boysboy;2476795 said:
Interesting-I also wonder too if they end up lacking sponsors/ads for the Super Bowl, they could very well cancel that game this year?

Huh???

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boysboy;2476795 said:

They're not going to cancel the game. However, I have read an article that sponsors are committing slowly to the event and they're not spending as much on the game as before.

links18

Reaction score
Well, at least we have football and religion to get us through these tough economic times. Well, maybe just religion soon.......:mad:

Boysboy

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2476799 said:

Like I said-I'm just thinking out loud, not spewing out facts.

Also-read what WG said above my post here-I read that the other day too, and was just speculating.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
doc32 told me nfl films has been laying off people for awhile now, especially the los angeles studio which is nfl network.

hopefully someday they will be hiring a ton of people and I can sneak in the backdoor!!!!!

Don Corleone

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2476805 said:
They're not going to cancel the game. However, I have read an article that sponsors are committing slowly to the event and they're not spending as much on the game as before.

Correct. I've heard that ad space during the game is getting cheaper every day.

I think the NFL needs a blockbuster Super Bowl matchup this year with 2 high profile teams. Teams like Carolina and Tennessee won't rake in the revenue the NFL is hoping for.

Now Dallas vs. Pittsburgh, that would be another story.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2476813 said:
Correct. I've heard that ad space during the game is getting cheaper every day.

I think the NFL needs a blockbuster Super Bowl matchup this year with 2 high profile teams. Teams like Carolina and Tennessee won't rake in the revenue the NFL is hoping for.

Now Dallas vs. Pittsburgh, that would be another story.

I can tell you I think they are going to get it.

I really believe it will be NY vs Indianapolis, Dallas Vs. indianapolis or NY/Dallas vs Pittsburgh.

I think the matchup will be a huge attention getter. I just hope we find a way in and get the monkey off our back with a draw of someone like chicago or minnesota.

Joe71

Reaction score
I wonder if the NFL will start giving in on the NFL Network deal to have it on more cable providers.They have to be getting pressure from advertisers for more viewers.Especially with the economy going the way it is.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Joe71;2478008 said:
I wonder if the NFL will start giving in on the NFL Network deal to have it on more cable providers.They have to be getting pressure from advertisers for more viewers.Especially with the economy going the way it is.

Those Super Bowl ads are pretty darn expensive. Companies are cutting jobs left and right, so how can they afford 30 second spots that are so expensive?