WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phillips: Romo should return for Commanders

3:12 PM Mon, Nov 03, 2008 | Permalink
Aaron Chimbel

Dallas Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips says he expects quarterback Tony Romo to return for the team's game Nov. 16 at the Washington Commanders.

"Once he's healed it should be fine," Phillips said of Romo's broken right pinkie finger. "He should throw some this week."

Phillips said it usually take three to four week for a broken finger to heal.
Romo broke his finger in overtime of the Cowboys loss to the Arizona Cardinals Oct. 12.

Phillips said if Romo can't play Brooks Bollinger would be the starter. Brad Johnson is now the third quarterback after starting three games since Romo's injury.

The Cowboys have a bye this week.

Phillips said he thinks it's a good possibility that guard Kyle Kosier, cornerback Terence Newman and running back Felix Jones will all return for the Commanders game.

Phillips: Bollinger is now #2 QB

4:24 PM Mon, Nov 03, 2008 | Permalink
Aaron Chimbel

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips says Brooks Bollinger is now the Cowboys backup quarterback, with Brad Johnson moving down to third-string.
If Tony Romo can not play after the bye week, Bollinger will be the starter, he said.

For those of you who watched the television broadcast of Sunday's game, there was a lot of will he or won't he go in the game surrounding Bollinger.
"We thought about putting Brooks in a little earlier," Phillips said.

After Terrell Owens fumbled late in the second quarter, it appeared the coaches were preparing Bollinger to replace Johnson, but a turnover by the Giants gave the Cowboys prime positioning to score, so they left Johnson in for the remainder of the half.

Then, Bollinger started the second half for the Cowboys.

"I thought he hung in there well, it was a tough situation certainly," Phillips said. "For the amount of time he had and the situation he was thrown into I thought he did all right."

Bollinger threw an interception on his first pass, but settled down after that finishing nine of 16 with 63 yards with touchdown and that interception.

djmajestik

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2399269 said:
"I thought he hung in there well, it was a tough situation certainly," Phillips said. "For the amount of time he had and the situation he was thrown into I thought he did all right."

I thought he did serviceable, and given a week's preparation and a bit more time by the O-line I think we would have been in that game, especially with the amount of turnovers and such.

Plus, he wasn't even with us during training camp. I thought he did ok, although I would rather not see him against the Skins in 2 weeks.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Why do they keep saying it takes 3-4 weeks to heal a broken finger? I've never heard anything but 6-8 weeks.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
If Romo and Garrett continue to keep Romo in the pocket then he wil hurt that finger again on a helmet.

Bring back Model: Romo-0607

superpunk

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2399269 said:
For those of you who watched the television broadcast of Sunday's game, there was a lot of will he or won't he go in the game surrounding Bollinger.
"We thought about putting Brooks in a little earlier," Phillips said.

After Terrell Owens fumbled late in the second quarter, it appeared the coaches were preparing Bollinger to replace Johnson, but a turnover by the Giants gave the Cowboys prime positioning to score, so they left Johnson in for the remainder of the half.
Man - I ****ing love this guy's decisiveness! That's a leader of men right there!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;2399453 said:
Why do they keep saying it takes 3-4 weeks to heal a broken finger? I've never heard anything but 6-8 weeks.
I've heard 4-6. So, I think it was always 4 weeks min.

And per jobberone, it's not his finger that's broken. It's the 5th metacarpal (sp?) which is more his hand than his finger.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
TheCount;2399453 said:

I agree. With me or you, it would take maybe 4 weeks.
But for someone whose job is to dodge 200-lb-plus linemen, the 3-4 weeks time
frame is a joke.

WarC

Reaction score
superpunk;2399612 said:
Man - I ****ing love this guy's decisiveness! That's a leader of men right there!

"December 7th, 1941...A date which, I uhhh, well, will maybe live in infamy. Probably."
-FDR Philips

"We shall think about fighting on the beaches, we shall most likely fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight OK in the fields and the streets. We shall, uhhh, probably never surrender. Atleast we'll do some good things." -Winston Churchill Philips

superpunk

Reaction score
WarC;2399919 said:
"December 7th, 1941...A date which, I uhhh, well, will maybe live in infamy. Probably."
-FDR Philips

"We shall think about fighting on the beaches, we shall most likely fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight OK in the fields and the streets. We shall, uhhh, probably never surrender. Atleast we'll do some good things." -Winston Churchill Philips
LOL - that's a hell of a thread idea right there, bro.

Famous Quotes - Wade Phillips-ized!

zeromaster

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2399625 said:
I've heard 4-6. So, I think it was always 4 weeks min.

And per jobberone, it's not his finger that's broken. It's the 5th metacarpal (sp?) which is more his hand than his finger.
Yeah but 'finger' is so much easier for the media to type... :lmao:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WarC;2399919 said:
-FDR Philips

You should start a thread with these. We could all use a good laugh.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2399269 said:
"Once he's healed it should be fine," Phillips said of Romo's broken right pinkie finger. "He should throw some this week."
Yeah, but since you're blowing off practice this week, exactly when will that be???