What’s been the best of the last 23 seasons?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After watching the conference championship games today for the 23rd year without the Cowboys, my depressed mind turned to wondering a sad question- which of the last 23 seasons was “the best”? Still amazes me that none of those 23 included even a divisional playoff win.

But with that said, I would have to say either the
1. 2007 season which was Romo’s breakout season when they went 13-3 and probably had their best team and best chance to win it all.

2. Or the 2016 team that also went 13-3 unexpectedly during Dak and Zeke’s rookie season. It came out of nowhere which made it doubly fun and doubly disappointing when we lost to the packers.

Sad to say that two seasons where we won 13 games yet didn’t win a playoff game are the two seasons I enjoyed most in the last 23.

As a Cowboys fan since 1964, I cannot believe how frustrating it is to watch another season pass without much to show for it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One other thought- the drafts of the last 6-8 years have been better. So there’s also that.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Probably the 2014 team. Dominant OL, elite RB, elite QB, elite WR, elite TE. Defense needed some work.

This. We seemed like a hard nosed team built to win the postseason...

2007 was a fun year but going down the stretch it didnt feel like we had our heads in the right place...

the 2016 team was fun but boy that was another brutal postseason loss

Kaiser

Reaction score
The 2007 team had a lot more talent, it had 13 players go to the Pro Bowl.

The 2016 team had two miracle wins, it really was an 11 win team that had all the breaks and an OL that stayed healthy but also developed consistency together - similar to the Rams this season.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Quincy Carter playoff season. The only year we overachieved and made the playoffs. It was a fun year and I had no letdown/or surprise when we lost in the postseason.

That was also our best coaching job in the last two decades. Quincy was not a starting caliber an but we made it to the postseason with him starting a below average running back, and good conservative defense.

TWOK11

Reaction score
I think it’s the 2007 team.

Honestly if they get past the Giants. The cowboys win the Super Bowl that year. IMO

Don’t think they beat that Pats team in the SB. We didn’t have the DL to dominate Brady like NY did.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
The giants beat them didn’t they?

So I guess they weren’t unbeatable........

No guarantee. But I think Dallas pulls it off.

They wrecked us in the regular season that year. The Giants almost beat them.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
After watching the conference championship games today for the 23rd year without the Cowboys, my depressed mind turned to wondering a sad question- which of the last 23 seasons was “the best”? Still amazes me that none of those 23 included even a divisional playoff win.

But with that said, I would have to say either the
1. 2007 season which was Romo’s breakout season when they went 13-3 and probably had their best team and best chance to win it all.

2. Or the 2016 team that also went 13-3 unexpectedly during Dak and Zeke’s rookie season. It came out of nowhere which made it doubly fun and doubly disappointing when we lost to the packers.

Sad to say that two seasons where we won 13 games yet didn’t win a playoff game are the two seasons I enjoyed most in the last 23.

As a Cowboys fan since 1964, I cannot believe how frustrating it is to watch another season pass without much to show for it.

That opening round game against Seattle was our sb. It’s really all we can ever hope for with this franchise.

HungryLion

Reaction score
They wrecked us in the regular season that year. The Giants almost beat them.

Ok........and we swept the Giants that season, until the playoffs happened........

The question was which team I thought was the best. I thought that was our best team the last 23 years.

We will never know if they beat the patriots or not but I think they would have had a shot. That cowboys team was incredibly talented.

We also had Wade Phillips coaching our defense. He is one of the few defensive coaches to hold his own against them in the playoffs.