News: What’s Next for Cowboys Safety Donovan Wilson?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It’s an interesting situation the Dallas Cowboys find themselves in. They just signed a safety in Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and yet safety still remains a long-term priority, at least from analysts who cover the team. However, is it possible that the Cowboys have had their long-term answer at safety on the roster all along, but the previous regime refused to see what it had?

Yes, we’re talking about Donovan Wilson.

You may remember Donovan Wilson from the 2019 preseason where he flashed an instinct for taking the ball away to the tune of three interceptions in four games. Wilson displayed excellent hands and timing when breaking on the football, providing a lot of optimism for his future with the team. What transpired though, is what typically went down under Jason Garrett coached teams. Rookies with promise are kept on the sidelines for veterans who are generally considered depth options.

Sure, they saw him in training camp every day and in practice throughout the season, but Donovan Wilson only logging 16 defensive snaps in a season where Jeff Heath missed three games is inexcusable. There were more than 300 defensive snaps available that Jeff Heath didn’t play. Giving only 16 to a player who made did what you’ve been begging your defense to do for years, take the ball away, is part of the reason it was time to move on from this coaching staff.

Wilson would have never replaced Jeff Heath outright because he was a trusted veteran from the previous regime. However, seeing Darian Thompson get the nod over Wilson added to the frustration from last season.

Yet, with Clinton-Dix on board, we find ourselves in a familiar situation. A veteran player trusted by the head coach is going to get every opportunity to be the starter opposite Xavier Woods at safety and Wilson finds himself needing to supplant a veteran with a ton of experience in order to display his soft hands and interception prowess.

https://insidethestar.com/whats-next-for-cowboys-safety-donovan-wilson/

Daillest88

Reaction score
It’s an interesting situation the Dallas Cowboys find themselves in. They just signed a safety in Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and yet safety still remains a long-term priority, at least from analysts who cover the team. However, is it possible that the Cowboys have had their long-term answer at safety on the roster all along, but the previous regime refused to see what it had?

Yes, we’re talking about Donovan Wilson.

You may remember Donovan Wilson from the 2019 preseason where he flashed an instinct for taking the ball away to the tune of three interceptions in four games. Wilson displayed excellent hands and timing when breaking on the football, providing a lot of optimism for his future with the team. What transpired though, is what typically went down under Jason Garrett coached teams. Rookies with promise are kept on the sidelines for veterans who are generally considered depth options.

Sure, they saw him in training camp every day and in practice throughout the season, but Donovan Wilson only logging 16 defensive snaps in a season where Jeff Heath missed three games is inexcusable. There were more than 300 defensive snaps available that Jeff Heath didn’t play. Giving only 16 to a player who made did what you’ve been begging your defense to do for years, take the ball away, is part of the reason it was time to move on from this coaching staff.

Wilson would have never replaced Jeff Heath outright because he was a trusted veteran from the previous regime. However, seeing Darian Thompson get the nod over Wilson added to the frustration from last season.

Yet, with Clinton-Dix on board, we find ourselves in a familiar situation. A veteran player trusted by the head coach is going to get every opportunity to be the starter opposite Xavier Woods at safety and Wilson finds himself needing to supplant a veteran with a ton of experience in order to display his soft hands and interception prowess.

https://insidethestar.com/whats-next-for-cowboys-safety-donovan-wilson/

that pissed me off so much. Dude played well in preseason and didn’t let him play during the regular season.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m hoping he takes the next step. He faces an uphill battle because he was part of the pst regime and doesn’t have that equity with the new coaching staff.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was liking the way Wilson came on in the PS games. Too bad they would not give him a shot it regular season games.
Maybe with the new staff he will be given that chance. I don't think bringing in Dix changes this, for playing time anyway. As Frazier has not been brought back yet so has Thompson to compete with, if they play the same position.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think Woods is flat out terrible, but the previous regime seemed to trust him more.

I'm not sure if Wilson can be counted on to start, but I do hope the new staff/FO now realizes that an upgrade is necessary before this team is going anywhere.

Its probably to where if they dont get McKinney in the draft, Dix, Woods, Thompson, Wilson is the crew.

That just isnt gonna get it done.

Meaning....McKinney is probably the only one in the draft that can start right away.

cern

Reaction score
Competition makes the wheel go round and round. At every position. Starters must always be challenged. Backups should never be content to just be backups.

Daillest88

Reaction score
I think Woods is flat out terrible, but the previous regime seemed to trust him more.

I'm not sure if Wilson can be counted on to start, but I do hope the new staff/FO now realizes that an upgrade is necessary before this team is going anywhere.

Its probably to where if they dont get McKinney in the draft, Dix, Woods, Thompson, Wilson is the crew.

That just isnt gonna get it done.

Meaning....McKinney is probably the only one in the draft that can start right away.
Woods wasn’t terrible. He will be much better with a competent safety next to him

Reaction score
I think the practice of playing reliable vets comes from the Jimmy Johnson observation that 'it's not the number of big plays you make, it's the number of bad plays you don't make',,,,

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I’m hoping he takes the next step. He faces an uphill battle because he was part of the pst regime and doesn’t have that equity with the new coaching staff.

But that applies to all the Cowboy players. Obviously not so much to the higher profile guys like Dak, Zeke, Cooper etc, but Woods is more of an unknown to McCarthy.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Maurice Linguist was a secondary coach when Wilson was playing at Texas A&M. I think that at least gives Wilson a fighting chance to go out and earn playing time.
Linguist was CB’s coach and Wilson was obviously a safety. Linguist brought that up in the interview.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Woods wasn’t terrible. He will be much better with a competent safety next to him
He takes some curious angles to the ball, which is nothing beyond his head not adjusting to NFL speed.

He shows crap for ball skills. He isnt a hitter. Has the body of a corner....

Other than that he is a decent fourth safety/ST guy.

He is NOT a starting safety on a good NFL team.

Then again, I don't expect him to be.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The more I read this thread, the more I'm warming to McKinney at 17.

If your starters are Dix - McKinney....or even Dix - Winfield...

...with guys like Wilson and Woods as backups, I'm a lot more comfortable.

Not like our corners are top notch. This is shaping up to be an awful defense if this draft doesnt fall the right way.