News: What’s Next for Cowboys Safety Donovan Wilson?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Wilson played against Detroit and was absolutely terrible.

People who think that Woods/Heath wasn't a decent starting pair, missed the drives where Thompson and Wilson were in the game.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, I like everything I heard in the interview. Seems to have a little excitement to him. Can't wait for September.

fivetwos

Reaction score

People who think that Woods/Heath wasn't a decent starting pair, missed the drives where Thompson and Wilson were in the game.
I saw how awful Thompson was.

Otherwise the team had a UDFA and a 6th rounder back there. Wilson is also a 6th rounder.

The team has suffered from terrible safety play for years now. Along the lines of you get what you pay for.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The team has suffered from terrible safety play for years now. Along the lines of you get what you pay for.
No it hasn't. Woods and Heath are fine. Terrible is Thompson and Wilson. This is my point.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I expect Donovan Wilson to be given time to show his wares vs. Ha-Ha Clinton Dix in TC, assuming it takes place, as is hoped. He should be able to at least supply a reasonable measure of competition, although he might require more development if he's to overcome a capable competitor in Dix. Last year in camp, he had several picks and looked good for a time. Hopefully, he can at least be expected to provide some assistance as a backup until such time as he's allowed to develop himself into legitimate starting material.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I saw how awful Thompson was.

Otherwise the team had a UDFA and a 6th rounder back there. Wilson is also a 6th rounder.

I don't want Dallas to settle what I do want is open competition. Yes Wilson was a 6th rd and now with a year under his belt and a full off season he should be better prepared to compete. I will never judge a player on where he was drafted I will judge them on their play on the field.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don't want Dallas to settle what I do want is open competition. Yes Wilson was a 6th rd and now with a year under his belt and a full off season he should be better prepared to compete. I will never judge a player on where he was drafted I will judge them on their play on the field.
Agreed but when you run 6th rounders and undrafted guys out there you cant really expect top notch safety play. They've invested extremely little at the position for a decade now, and it shows on the field.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No it hasn't. Woods and Heath are fine. Terrible is Thompson and Wilson. This is my point.
Well Heath is now Vegas' problem, and it would stand to reason that the backups are worse than the starters.

Maybe Woods can be hidden if his counterpart is special. Not sure Dix is that guy.

Hey if you're fine with the level of play at the safety position, all fine. The team is on board with you. I just dont see it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agreed but when you run 6th rounders and undrafted guys out there you cant really expect top notch safety play. They've invested extremely little at the position for a decade now, and it shows on the field.

I don't disagree. I do think as players learn and develop they can become much better players. Often what I see are those who write players off based on limited play. I like the fact that Cowboys signed Dix and not opposed to looking to the draft but once these guys hit the field it should come down to their play.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It’s an interesting situation the Dallas Cowboys find themselves in. They just signed a safety in Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and yet safety still remains a long-term priority, at least from analysts who cover the team. However, is it possible that the Cowboys have had their long-term answer at safety on the roster all along, but the previous regime refused to see what it had?

Yes, we’re talking about Donovan Wilson.

You may remember Donovan Wilson from the 2019 preseason where he flashed an instinct for taking the ball away to the tune of three interceptions in four games. Wilson displayed excellent hands and timing when breaking on the football, providing a lot of optimism for his future with the team. What transpired though, is what typically went down under Jason Garrett coached teams. Rookies with promise are kept on the sidelines for veterans who are generally considered depth options.

Sure, they saw him in training camp every day and in practice throughout the season, but Donovan Wilson only logging 16 defensive snaps in a season where Jeff Heath missed three games is inexcusable. There were more than 300 defensive snaps available that Jeff Heath didn’t play. Giving only 16 to a player who made did what you’ve been begging your defense to do for years, take the ball away, is part of the reason it was time to move on from this coaching staff.

Wilson would have never replaced Jeff Heath outright because he was a trusted veteran from the previous regime. However, seeing Darian Thompson get the nod over Wilson added to the frustration from last season.

Yet, with Clinton-Dix on board, we find ourselves in a familiar situation. A veteran player trusted by the head coach is going to get every opportunity to be the starter opposite Xavier Woods at safety and Wilson finds himself needing to supplant a veteran with a ton of experience in order to display his soft hands and interception prowess.

https://insidethestar.com/whats-next-for-cowboys-safety-donovan-wilson/

Unless we draft a safety early, I see Wilson being given every shot to win the strong safety job. He's slightly bigger than Woods (but smaller than Dix, although Wilson could muscle up some in his first offseason with the team ... if they ever get to use the facilities) and one of his college coaches is now his position coach in the NFL.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

You’re talking out your rear.

Wilson played one (1) defensive snap against the Lions.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You’re talking out your rear.

Wilson played one (1) defensive snap against the Lions.
And it was gross. I know he wasn't in a lot.

The point is that he has done nothing to suggest that he's ready to be a regular contributor.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I was under the impression Wilson got injured at that was one of the main reasons he got limited action. Aside from being a rookie of course...

I hope he gets more reps, maybe in a nickel role or something, get him on the field...

quickccc

Reaction score
One thing Wilson has going for him is he has played under our new secondary coach at Texas A&M

Very true.
and that helps give him a leg on current coaching staff being familiar with Wilson, both as a player and a future signal caller.
Now its a matter of both safety coach Maurice Linguist and Wilson getting better adjusted to the nuisances of the NFL.

i'm not sure if Wilson is more FS type than SS, more suited as a center fielder than a stout up at line strong safety. But all the scouting profile has touted him
as a strong safety. He's actually fairly thin-framed for a safety, but there's no question he seems to display ball hawk skills and INT ability the Cowboys are so desperately
trying very much to get here on this defense.

i hope he gets a chance to gain the experience he needs. Apparently the previous coaching staff did not trust his lack of game experience
to be on the field. Thus they preferred to turn to JAG safety Darius Thompson over inexperienced rookie. They didn't trust him and they didn't he
was prepared for such tasks and duties.

BigD_95

Reaction score
"Giving only 16 to a player who made did what you’ve been begging your defense to do for years, take the ball away, is part of the reason it was time to move on from this coaching staff."

I'm by far an English snob but does anyone proof read these articles?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the author of this article is missing a key point. Wilson won;t be competing at strong safety with Clinton-Dix, he will be competing there with Woods. They didn't sign a poor tackler in Clinton-Dix to be their strong safety.

But as they mentioned, with Garrett thankfully gone, young players will get the chance to legitimately compete for spots.

quickccc

Reaction score
Ha Ha Clinton Dix
Xavier Woods
Darius Thompson
Donovan Wilson

Remains to be seen if we will acquire a regarded safety per draft or trade. i'm just not sure this existing one is a quality caliber difference making safety unit.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
IMO Wilson showed enough last year with his limited snaps to earn the opportunity for a legit chance to be part of the game day rotations. Rest is up to him to step up and earn his place on the team.