News: What’s Next for Cowboys Safety Donovan Wilson?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
And it was gross. I know he wasn't in a lot.

The point is that he has done nothing to suggest that he's ready to be a regular contributor.

No you didn’t.

And to think you could surmise a player’s ability off one snap is ridiculous.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
He was prolly in Jason's doghouse because he was picking off Dak all the time in practice.

freemanjc19

Reaction score
D. Wislon seems to wiff on tackles by diving at thier legs. What's next for him: Tackling Classes!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
No you didn’t.

And to think you could surmise a player’s ability off one snap is ridiculous.
I didn't know it was only one snap. But I knew it wasn't much. It was a DET passing TD, and both safeties were lost.

Not what I am saying or have ever said. What I said was that he has done nothing to show that he's ready to be a contributor. To move up on the depth chart, you have to do something with the reps you get. He didn't do that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s an interesting situation the Dallas Cowboys find themselves in. They just signed a safety in Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and yet safety still remains a long-term priority, at least from analysts who cover the team. However, is it possible that the Cowboys have had their long-term answer at safety on the roster all along, but the previous regime refused to see what it had?

Yes, we’re talking about Donovan Wilson.

You may remember Donovan Wilson from the 2019 preseason where he flashed an instinct for taking the ball away to the tune of three interceptions in four games. Wilson displayed excellent hands and timing when breaking on the football, providing a lot of optimism for his future with the team. What transpired though, is what typically went down under Jason Garrett coached teams. Rookies with promise are kept on the sidelines for veterans who are generally considered depth options.

Sure, they saw him in training camp every day and in practice throughout the season, but Donovan Wilson only logging 16 defensive snaps in a season where Jeff Heath missed three games is inexcusable. There were more than 300 defensive snaps available that Jeff Heath didn’t play. Giving only 16 to a player who made did what you’ve been begging your defense to do for years, take the ball away, is part of the reason it was time to move on from this coaching staff.

Wilson would have never replaced Jeff Heath outright because he was a trusted veteran from the previous regime. However, seeing Darian Thompson get the nod over Wilson added to the frustration from last season.

Yet, with Clinton-Dix on board, we find ourselves in a familiar situation. A veteran player trusted by the head coach is going to get every opportunity to be the starter opposite Xavier Woods at safety and Wilson finds himself needing to supplant a veteran with a ton of experience in order to display his soft hands and interception prowess.

https://insidethestar.com/whats-next-for-cowboys-safety-donovan-wilson/

All Wilson really did was make a few picks in preseason. I definitely wanted to see more. Ha ha is only for one year anyway to we will see.

I am also looking for Devon Smith to get more time a WR.

freemanjc19

Reaction score
All Wilson really did was make a few picks in preseason. I definitely wanted to see more. Ha ha is only for one year anyway to we will see.

I am also looking for Devon Smith to get more time a WR.

I want more of D. Smith as well. I wonder if he was still hurt last year. The is no acceptable reason that I can think for him to be behind T. Austin. I think JG was in love with HIS GUYS!

phildadon86

Reaction score
I think Woods is flat out terrible, but the previous regime seemed to trust him more.

I'm not sure if Wilson can be counted on to start, but I do hope the new staff/FO now realizes that an upgrade is necessary before this team is going anywhere.

Its probably to where if they dont get McKinney in the draft, Dix, Woods, Thompson, Wilson is the crew.

That just isnt gonna get it done.

Meaning....McKinney is probably the only one in the draft that can start right away.
Well they realized we needed beef in the middle. So i have faith.

blueblood70

Reaction score
man someof you clamong for backups that the old staff deemed just backups and acting as if they didnt know more.. until the guy looks better then he did late last season.. hes a backup to woods an HaHA

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
If I’m the Cowboys I’m looking to get better at every position possible, so if a Safety is the best player available in the draft at 17 then take it, but I honestly think they need a SS more than a another FS.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I didn't know it was only one snap. But I knew it wasn't much. It was a DET passing TD, and both safeties were lost.

Not what I am saying or have ever said. What I said was that he has done nothing to show that he's ready to be a contributor. To move up on the depth chart, you have to do something with the reps you get. He didn't do that.

Wilson played against Detroit and was absolutely terrible.

People who think that Woods/Heath wasn't a decent starting pair, missed the drives where Thompson and Wilson were in the game.

The entire premise of your original post quoted above was that Wilson “was absolutely terrible” against the Detroit Lions. You then referenced some supposed drives that Wilson was in during the game.

He played one (1) snap against the Lions.

If you wanna pivot and say “my point is hasn’t proven anything” that’s fine, but to try and claim your original post was making that point is bunk.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Any shot we just agree that the last staff was a disaster....

And safety play for this team has been its own disaster for a decade and change.

They try to throw scraps at it and tell themselves it's fine.

That's part of what explains the quarter century of futility.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The entire premise of your original post quoted above was that Wilson “was absolutely terrible” against the Detroit Lions. You then referenced some supposed drives that Wilson was in during the game.

He played one (1) snap against the Lions.

If you wanna pivot and say “my point is hasn’t proven anything” that’s fine, but to try and claim your original post was making that point is bunk.
No. I said that "they" meaning Thompson and Wilson were in.

He played 1 snap. Fine. It was absolutely terrible.

He has not proven that, and in the opportunity - even limited - he was bad.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
1 snap makes a career.

Done and done.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
No. I said that "they" meaning Thompson and Wilson were in.

He played 1 snap. Fine. It was absolutely terrible.

He has not proven that, and in the opportunity - even limited - he was bad.

What does clarifying that you used “they” get you, lol?

Wilson is part of they.

You specifically claimed they were on drives (plural), when Wilson played just one snap.

So since you wanna go down with ship to save face, please tell us about that one snap Wilson was on in which he was “terrible.”

I have the game recorded so provide the time stamp.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All off season I've consistently said the only reason the Cowboys might not draft a safety early could be due to Wilson. They loved him last year. He should be ready to compete physically in the NFL now. He just needs some snaps. Can't wait to see him in September. I'd love for him to be another late round draft pick success story.

Corso

Reaction score
All off season I've consistently said the only reason the Cowboys might not draft a safety early could be due to Wilson. They loved him last year. He should be ready to compete physically in the NFL now. He just needs some snaps. Can't wait to see him in September. I'd love for him to be another late round draft pick success story.
Obviously you didn't watch that single snap he played against the Lions.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What does clarifying that you used “they” get you, lol?

Wilson is part of they.

You specifically claimed they were on drives (plural), when Wilson played just one snap.

So since you wanna go down with ship to save face, please tell us about that one snap Wilson was on in which he was “terrible.”

I have the game recorded so provide the time stamp.
Wilson is part of they. He was in on those drives. Hence, they played drives. Don't try to be so smart that you miss the point, you're not smart enough for that.

This is about as bad as a safety can play it. Late to react to the route, horrible angle to defend the route, can't make the tackle.

Corso

Reaction score
Wilson is part of they. He was in on those drives. Hence, they played drives. Don't try to be so smart that you miss the point, you're not smart enough for that.

This is about as bad as a safety can play it. Late to react to the route, horrible angle to defend the route, can't make the tackle.

He teh suxxors. I don't care if that was his 1st ever defensive snap!!!