News: What’s Next for Cowboys Safety Donovan Wilson?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
but Donovan Wilson only logging 16 defensive snaps in a season where Jeff Heath missed three games is inexcusable. ...

Wilson would have never replaced Jeff Heath outright because he was a trusted veteran from the previous regime. However, seeing Darian Thompson get the nod over Wilson added to the frustration from last season.

Yup.

But player development gets bumped far down the priority list for coaches trying to save their jobs. They need guys who can play *now*.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I'm not thrilled with any of the safeties honestly... Dallas has been cursed at that position for years.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Wilson is part of they. He was in on those drives. ...

This is about as bad as a safety can play it. Late to react to the route, horrible angle to defend the route, can't make the tackle.

Yeah, that was real bad, but "First snap in the NFL".

Mulligan.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
All off season I've consistently said the only reason the Cowboys might not draft a safety early could be due to Wilson. They loved him last year. He should be ready to compete physically in the NFL now. He just needs some snaps. Can't wait to see him in September. I'd love for him to be another late round draft pick success story.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas is done at safety. It's not necessarily what I'd do, but I'm thinking they're okay with Dix, Woods, Wilson, and Thompson. The only reason I even question that is their pursuit of Jamal Adams last season and the alleged pursuit of Vonn Bell tells me they're not completely comfortable with the strong safety spot.

While it's not the route I'd take, I'm willing to give this staff a shot at developing more out of these guys. Xavier Woods had 14 interceptions at LA Tech and has 5 in only 33 games started in the NFL. That's more than 15 of the safeties drafted before him in the same class including Jamal Adams. For people to say he doesn't have ball skills is simply incorrect. I look forward to seeing how he and Wilson play under a new staff and possibly in a new position.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Wilson is part of they. He was in on those drives. Hence, they played drives. Don't try to be so smart that you miss the point, you're not smart enough for that.

This is about as bad as a safety can play it. Late to react to the route, horrible angle to defend the route, can't make the tackle.

Loool, smart enough to understand drives is the plural of drive which means more than one drive.

Wilson played one snap.

Which means it’s impossible for Wilson to have played in drives as you claim.

What you’re left with is making grand sweeping conclusion of a player based off one snap.

Congrats, that’s moronic.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Loool, smart enough to understand drives is the plural of drive which means more than one drive.

Wilson played one snap.

Which means it’s impossible for Wilson to have played in drives as you claim.

What you’re left with is making grand sweeping conclusion of a player based off one snap.

Congrats, that’s moronic.
I didn't say Wilson played drives. I said they played drives. If Wilson played 1 snap and Thompson played 500, the combined THEY still played multiple drives.

But it's still not the point. I didn't say he can't be a good player. I said he has done nothing at the NFL level to suggest that he will be.

Congrats on your illiteracy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yup.

But player development gets bumped far down the priority list for coaches trying to save their jobs. They need guys who can play *now*.

Of course they do. Off season is not just to kick back it is to put in the work and study. He needs to know and understand his responsibility by reading the offense. I have watched guys whose talent level was not the greatest in terms of speed or size but because they could diagnose the play before the offense snaps the ball they are able to be where they need to be. Much of what these guys need to know takes place before sundays game and guys who put in the work give themselves the best chance. My question is how bad does Wilson want it and if he wants this job he will have to go take it. As you said coaches need players who can do it now.

Mr_437

Reaction score
None of the Ss DAL has are trustworthy. They need to bring in 2 more who can play.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I didn't say Wilson played drives. I said they played drives. If Wilson played 1 snap and Thompson played 500, the combined THEY still played multiple drives.

But it's still not the point. I didn't say he can't be a good player. I said he has done nothing at the NFL level to suggest that he will be.

Let me help you since you can’t even quote yourself correctly.

Wilson played against Detroit and was absolutely terrible.

People who think that Woods/Heath wasn't a decent starting pair, missed the drives where Thompson and Wilson were in the game.

Congrats on your short-sightedness.

You surmised Wilson was terrible based off nothing more than one play.

That was your point.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Mmmm... no bud. If Wilson played 1 snap he didn't play multiple drives with anybody together.
THEY did not what-so-ever play multiple drives together.
HE played one play in a single drive.

Take your illiteracy insult on the guy back.

Lordy. What is going on?

WeDemBoyz

Reaction score
Wilson will fade away as excitement grows over this year's 1st/2nd Round safety that we draft. Expect zero to minimal impact this year and then nothing going forward.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I am just glad Heath is gone. He was a symbol of the accepted mediocrity.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Homeboy had 15 interceptions his Sr. year in HS. 2 were called back because of penalty. He has GREAT instincts, but lacks true speed.

Plankton

Reaction score
The entire premise of your original post quoted above was that Wilson “was absolutely terrible” against the Detroit Lions. You then referenced some supposed drives that Wilson was in during the game.

He played one (1) snap against the Lions.

If you wanna pivot and say “my point is hasn’t proven anything” that’s fine, but to try and claim your original post was making that point is bunk.

giphy.gif

fivetwos

Reaction score
Woods wasn’t terrible. He will be much better with a competent safety next to him
He isn't a starting safety on a good team.

The guy makes zero plays. No ball skills. Doesnt hit. Range is limited. Smallish body.

He is just there.

NOT being awful isnt being good. He does nothing.

Want to win? He needs to be upgraded from.