News: What’s Next for Cowboys Safety Donovan Wilson?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Let me help you since you can’t even quote yourself correctly.

Congrats on your short-sightedness.

You surmised Wilson was terrible based off nothing more than one play.

That was your point.
He played. He was terrible.

Doesn't matter if it was a large sample or not.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Mmmm... no bud. If Wilson played 1 snap he didn't play multiple drives with anybody together.
THEY did not what-so-ever play multiple drives together.
HE played one play in a single drive.

Take your illiteracy insult on the guy back.

Lordy. What is going on?
I didn't say they played multiple drives together.

Good try, good effort.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Wilson played against Detroit and was absolutely terrible.

People who think that Woods/Heath wasn't a decent starting pair, missed the drives where Thompson and Wilson were in the game.
Lol... yeah?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I want more of D. Smith as well. I wonder if he was still hurt last year. The is no acceptable reason that I can think for him to be behind T. Austin. I think JG was in love with HIS GUYS!
Probably didn’t want to put too much on him. Should be ready to go now. Could be OUR jimmy Smith in reverse.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I remember Jourdan Lewis first snap where he slipped and gave up a 30ish yard TD

****NOT-AN-OFFICIAL-SOURCE*** had a video that went through the TD receptions against the secondary in 2017. Lots of Lewis and the CBs, very little GOAT.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Homeboy had 15 interceptions his Sr. year in HS. 2 were called back because of penalty. He has GREAT instincts, but lacks true speed.

Gets more useful the shorter the field gets. That's not all bad. That's where points are scored.

Much like how the Big Fat Boys are more useful on a short field.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Of course they do. Off season is not just to kick back it is to put in the work and study. He needs to know and understand his responsibility by reading the offense. I have watched guys whose talent level was not the greatest in terms of speed or size but because they could diagnose the play before the offense snaps the ball they are able to be where they need to be. Much of what these guys need to know takes place before sundays game and guys who put in the work give themselves the best chance. My question is how bad does Wilson want it and if he wants this job he will have to go take it. As you said coaches need players who can do it now.

Coaches fighting for their jobs need *now*. More secure coaches can spend more on player development.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Jason Garrett wasted a lot of talented players careers here.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It’s an interesting situation the Dallas Cowboys find themselves in. They just signed a safety in Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and yet safety still remains a long-term priority, at least from analysts who cover the team. However, is it possible that the Cowboys have had their long-term answer at safety on the roster all along, but the previous regime refused to see what it had?

Yes, we’re talking about Donovan Wilson.

You may remember Donovan Wilson from the 2019 preseason where he flashed an instinct for taking the ball away to the tune of three interceptions in four games. Wilson displayed excellent hands and timing when breaking on the football, providing a lot of optimism for his future with the team. What transpired though, is what typically went down under Jason Garrett coached teams. Rookies with promise are kept on the sidelines for veterans who are generally considered depth options.

Sure, they saw him in training camp every day and in practice throughout the season, but Donovan Wilson only logging 16 defensive snaps in a season where Jeff Heath missed three games is inexcusable. There were more than 300 defensive snaps available that Jeff Heath didn’t play. Giving only 16 to a player who made did what you’ve been begging your defense to do for years, take the ball away, is part of the reason it was time to move on from this coaching staff.

Wilson would have never replaced Jeff Heath outright because he was a trusted veteran from the previous regime. However, seeing Darian Thompson get the nod over Wilson added to the frustration from last season.

Yet, with Clinton-Dix on board, we find ourselves in a familiar situation. A veteran player trusted by the head coach is going to get every opportunity to be the starter opposite Xavier Woods at safety and Wilson finds himself needing to supplant a veteran with a ton of experience in order to display his soft hands and interception prowess.

https://insidethestar.com/whats-next-for-cowboys-safety-donovan-wilson/
Without Heath in the way, the sky is the limit.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Show me the word together. K thanks

If you keep this going another half hour, he will stalk you for the next six months.

I don't get why people overlook blown assignments from rookies. Wilson looked great in the preseason but I'm assuming that was in vanilla reads against 2nd or 3rd stringers but I'm not going to check.

We missed the playoffs by one game and one bad play against a bad Jets team cost us that one win. Along with a blocked punt against NE, etc. If your job is riding on avoiding blown coverages, its understandable you don't want a late round pick to go through that learning curve as a rookie.

Wood

Reaction score
I think Woods is flat out terrible, but the previous regime seemed to trust him more.

I'm not sure if Wilson can be counted on to start, but I do hope the new staff/FO now realizes that an upgrade is necessary before this team is going anywhere.

Its probably to where if they dont get McKinney in the draft, Dix, Woods, Thompson, Wilson is the crew.

That just isnt gonna get it done.

Meaning....McKinney is probably the only one in the draft that can start right away.

I agree. We keep waiting on Woods but I just don't see it. I thought last year was his moment to shine but he was very average.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
He takes some curious angles to the ball, which is nothing beyond his head not adjusting to NFL speed.

He shows crap for ball skills. He isnt a hitter. Has the body of a corner....

Stop it. lol. BJones is gone.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Show me the word together. K thanks
You know what?
I'm being stupid.
We're bickering over stupid stuff while so many important things are going on.

I apologize.
All of this is pointless, really. Why am I even arguing with you?
An idiotic flight of fancy and I'm a goob.
I don't want you to resent me and this is such a trivial thing.

You're a good poster and I enjoy reading you.
I ask that you accept my apology.